I Improved my performance in BF1...here's how I did it.

SneakyGunman
384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited March 2018
A Healthy Game Play Experience is Around the Corner
-
bf1drawgraph.jpg219.jpg

Introduction
-
Hello,
--
After researching this for about 2-3 weeks I believe this deserves it's own thread. This stemmed for the "I fix my performance issue...here is how I did it" thread:
https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/136007/i-fixed-my-performance-issues-heres-how-i-did-it
-
I then stumbled upon something that is not only puzzling but bizarre at the same time. It’s not talked about much and the improvement by this tweak is so dramatic it deserves it’s own thread. I can’t say for certain how or when this started happening but from a quick search:
“GameBar Presence Writer” Process
“GameBar Presence Writer” stutter
“GameBar Presence Writer” hogging CPU
“GameBar Presence Writer” high ping
“GameBar Presence Writer” low fps
“GameBar Presence Writer” Phone Home
and many more
--
It’s been documented and talked about for well over a year now. So it’s not related to 1 win10 build. It's know for but not limited to
Stutter
CPU usage
Bandwidth Usage
Eating Ram
High Ping
Latency Problems
among other claims
--
What is known I that this process is active in TM only when you are playing games. And disappears from TM when you exit the game. You must alt tab out of a game in order to see it.
Furthermore, you must be able to see all your processes in TM (Task Manager). Or you won’t find it.
--
Another interesting aspect to this process is that it is not linked to Xbox Live service as most thought. It’s an independent process and it works directly from win10. There is no remedy to disable it other then deleting it or renaming it to something else from the video/forums/Reddit I've researched this in.
--
You have to take some kind of ownership of the process/file as access is denied trying to flat out delete it from windows/system32. Here is what I read/saw you do to fix that.
-
Step 1: Get Ownership
-
Go to Windows/system32/Gamebarpresencewriter.exe
Right click on it. Open Properties. Go to Security Tab.
Click on the ADVANCE Button
At the ADVANCE SECURITY SETTINGS FOR GAMEBARPRESENCEWRITER.EXE:
Where is says: Owner: TRUSTEDINSTALLER Change Place cursor over blue word and click on it.
At the SELECT USER OR GROUP:
Where it says Enter the object name to select.(examples)
Enter the name you gave your win10 PC. Afterwards click the Check Names button
Click OK
You will get a popup screen warning you of the change. Confirm it.
-
You have now changed Ownership to You from Trusted Installer.
-
Step 2: Add Yourself as Principal to GameBarPresenceWriter.exe
-
You may be at Properties. Click on Advance Button again.
Click on the Add Button
At the PERMISSION ENTRY FOR GAMEBARPRESENCEWRITER.EXE:
Click On Select a principal
Add your win10 PC name…Click on Check Names button
Click Ok
From the Basic permission select Full Control
Click OK or Apply. You may get a popup warning screen indicating the change. Confirm it.
-
You’ve just added yourself as Principal to GameBarPresenceWriter.exe. You are almost done
-
Step 3: Change Ownership back to TrustedInstaller
-
You may be back at Properties again. If so Click on Advance Button.
Where is says: Owner: Your Win10 PC Name Change Place cursor over blue word and click on it.
Where it says Enter the object name to select. (examples)
Enter: NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller <---- Click on Check Names. It will then Change to TrustedInstaller.
Click OK 2x. You may get a popup warning screen indicating the change. Confirm it.
Exit out of Properties.
Now rename or delete GameBarPresenceWriter.exe

-
Step 4: Reboot Your PC
-
I would suggest that you check Task Manager, Performance , Uptime. If it reads 2 minutes or so you are good. If it reads hours or days. Disable Fast Boot and Reboot again. You can re-enable it if you perfer that feature. But it's not needed on Gaming Desktop PC's.
Enjoy BF1 in all of it’s glory.
--
Repeat the above Steps for GameBarPresenceWriter.proxy.dll as well. You can then either rename it or delete it.
Side note:
I wouldn’t delete the files if you plan on using xbox store apps/games.
--
PS.
I want videos :)

Post edited by SneakyGunman on

Comments

• Off2War
    57 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Nice write up, have followed your instructions and happy to report back in a few days time.

Also with step 3 you need to enter NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller otherwise it wont work

Cheers
  • UnderseaAcademic
    272 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Wow, did this to those files in slightly a different way but, CPU never goes beyond 60% whereas before it was constantly 100%, game playes so fresh and smooth, thanks no jitter at all just feels really good, Thank you
  • Sechnaill
    992 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    In Windows 7 you can do the following:

Hold down the Windows key and press R. This will open the Run dialogue.

Type cmd and press Enter. This will open a command prompt.

Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
    Type ipconfig /registerdns and press Enter.
    Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
    Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
    Type netsh winsoc reset and press Enter.

Reboot the computer
  • UnderseaAcademic
    272 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2018
    Sechnaill wrote: »
    In Windows 7 you can do the following:

Hold down the Windows key and press R. This will open the Run dialogue.

Type cmd and press Enter. This will open a command prompt.

Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
    Type ipconfig /registerdns and press Enter.
    Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
    Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
    Type netsh winsoc reset and press Enter.

Reboot the computer

I appreciate your post but i dont think this has anything to do with dns or networking. Since the latest windows update, all games have been suffering from what i am reading, Renaming and making sure these items dont run, has made this game for me playable again. THANK YOU WINDOZE :-)
  • Micas99
    816 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If you don't want to monkey with the windows configuration, you can just end task the process. The down side is that you have to do it every time you start a game.
  • SneakyGunman
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2018
    Micas99 wrote: »
    If you don't want to monkey with the windows configuration, you can just end task the process. The down side is that you have to do it every time you start a game.

After about 2 weeks I got tired of doing that.
    The method in the OP is fully reversible. Ownership is return back to TrustedInstaller.
    If you perform this all you need to do is rename the file back to it's original name and you are good to go.
    Perhaps I could add "Make a copy and then rename it to OP".

• AMeatyFist
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks for the instructions Im going to give it a go. On a side note though MS Edge now crashes and is unusable. No big loss back to Chrome it is. Just wondering what other programs this will effect? Time will tell.
  • Micas99
    816 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It's very strange that removing/renaming that file would cause a crash in edge, since one has nothing to do with the other. Highly likely there is no correlation and something else is causing the problem in edge.
  • SneakyGunman
    Indeed it is strange, I have used it with no problem.
    Try rebooting your PC. Make sure you have fastboot disabled...then re-enable it once you are back at desktop.
  • AMeatyFist
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2018
    Its odd, was using it to run through the tutorial so it was definitely working before the change. Tried disabling fast-boot and reset, same result. Tried repairing and reset option for Edge , still crashes. Tried renaming files back to original with restart still crashes. On a positive note got a few games in and it does run smoother. CPU spikes greatly reduced.
  • SneakyGunman
    Indeed odd. At least your gaming performance is better. Trying googling the issue. Not sure if it's at the start of Edge or at some point after starting edge. Found somethings about it happening when you start it. Good Luck!
  • EKiefer1
    54 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2018
    If you want to you can run Process lasso and enable disallow process option on this GameBar Presence Writer.exe.
    It will shut it down right after launch, nothing else is needed.
    I tested this last night but couldn't really tell difference, I don't suffer from stutters and the only issue I have is some servers do hit CPU% very high.
    If I run across that I just back out and try another, 90% of the time that works.
  • SneakyGunman
    EKiefer1 wrote: »
    If you want to you can run Process lasso and enable disallow process option on this GameBar Presence Writer.exe.
    I tested this last night but couldn't really tell difference, I don't suffer from stutters and the only issue I have is some servers do hit CPU% very high.
    If I run across that I just back out and try another, 90% of the time that works.

At the same time you could use process lasso to give BF1.exe a higher cpu priority and thread priority.
    There are some good tweaks you can use with that app to get a good gaming experience.
  • EKiefer1
    54 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2018
    EKiefer1 wrote: »

At the same time, you could use process lasso to give BF1.exe a higher CPU priority and thread priority.
    There are some good tweaks you can use with that app to get a good gaming experience.

Yes, I am familiar with the product.
    can I ask, are you seeing any measurable CPU% from the GameBar Presence Writer.exe?
    When I tested last night, I monitored that process while playing a round.
    I didn't see any usage (I have gamebar and game DVD set off in settings).
  • AMeatyFist
    edited March 2018
    Talk about weird timing. Turns out it was Trusteer. It updated the same time I did the file changes. Removed Trusteer and BAM it works again. Thanks for the support and Tutorial.
  • SneakyGunman
    I am glad you got it sorted.

:)
  • Avalanche-swe
    159 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    A Healthy Game Play Experience is Around the Corner
    -
    bf1drawgraph.jpg219.jpg

Introduction
    -
    Hello,
    --
    After researching this for about 2-3 weeks I believe this deserves it's own thread. This stemmed for the "I fix my performance issue...here is how I did it" thread:
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/136007/i-fixed-my-performance-issues-heres-how-i-did-it
    -
    I then stumbled upon something that is not only puzzling but bizarre at the same time. It’s not talked about much and the improvement by this tweak is so dramatic it deserves it’s own thread. I can’t say for certain how or when this started happening but from a quick search:
    “GameBar Presence Writer” Process
    “GameBar Presence Writer” stutter
    “GameBar Presence Writer” hogging CPU
    “GameBar Presence Writer” high ping
    “GameBar Presence Writer” low fps
    “GameBar Presence Writer” Phone Home
    and many more
    --
    It’s been documented and talked about for well over a year now. So it’s not related to 1 win10 build. It's know for but not limited to
    Stutter
    CPU usage
    Bandwidth Usage
    Eating Ram
    High Ping
    Latency Problems
    among other claims
    --
    What is known I that this process is active in TM only when you are playing games. And disappears from TM when you exit the game. You must alt tab out of a game in order to see it.
    Furthermore, you must be able to see all your processes in TM (Task Manager). Or you won’t find it.
    --
    Another interesting aspect to this process is that it is not linked to Xbox Live service as most thought. It’s an independent process and it works directly from win10. There is no remedy to disable it other then deleting it or renaming it to something else from the video/forums/Reddit I've researched this in.
    --
    You have to take some kind of ownership of the process/file as access is denied trying to flat out delete it from windows/system32. Here is what I read/saw you do to fix that.
    -
    Step 1: Get Ownership
    -
    Go to Windows/system32/Gamebarpresencewriter.exe
    Right click on it. Open Properties. Go to Security Tab.
    Click on the ADVANCE Button
    Where is says: Owner: TRUSTEDINSTALLER Change Place cursor over blue word and click on it.
    Where it says Enter the object name to select.(examples)
    Enter the name you gave your win10 PC. Afterwards click the Check Names button
    Click OK
    You will get a popup screen warning you of the change. Confirm it.
    -
    You have now changed Ownership to You from Trusted Installer.
    -
    Step 2: Add Yourself as Principal to GameBarPresenceWriter.exe
    -
    You may be at Properties. Click on Advance Button again.
    Click on the Add Button
    Click On Select a principal
    Add your win10 PC name…Click on Check Names button
    Click Ok
    From the Basic permission select Full Control
    Click OK or Apply. You may get a popup warning screen indicating the change. Confirm it.
    -
    You’ve just added yourself as Principal to GameBarPresenceWriter.exe. You are almost done
    -
    Step 3: Change Ownership back to TrustedInstaller
    -
    You may be back at Properties again. If so Click on Advance Button.
    Where is says: Owner: Your Win10 PC Name Change Place cursor over blue word and click on it.
    Where it says Enter the object name to select. (examples)
    Enter: NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller <---- Click on Check Names. It will then Change to TrustedInstaller.
    Click OK 2x. You may get a popup warning screen indicating the change. Confirm it.
    Exit out of Properties.
    Now rename or delete GameBarPresenceWriter.exe

-
    Step 4: Reboot Your PC
    -
    I would suggest that you check Task Manager, Performance , Uptime. If it reads 2 minutes or so you are good. If it reads hours or days. Disable Fast Boot and Reboot again. You can re-enable it if you perfer that feature. But it's not needed on Gaming Desktop PC's.
    Enjoy BF1 in all of it’s glory.
    --
    Repeat the above Steps for GameBarPresenceWriter.proxy.dll as well. You can then either rename it or delete it.
    Side note:
    I wouldn’t delete the files if you plan on using xbox store apps/games.
    --
    PS.
    I want videos :)

I am stuck on the first step where im changing the name to what i named my PC. I checked my computers name in Control Panel - System - About, and typed it exactly like it is written there. But when i click "Check names button" it gives me a warning that no such name exists. I have tried spelling in all small letters, all big letters etc. I cant get past this step, any ideas?
  • AMeatyFist
    Type in your login name and do the search
  • SneakyGunman
    edited March 2018
    Place a finger on both of these keys at the same time:
    Window Key + Pause key at the same time
    Next:
    Advance Settings then Computer Name Tab
    Take note of the following:
    Full Computer Name: XXXXXXXXXXX
    Workgroup: XXXXXXXXX
    Next:
    The place your mouse cursor over Change button and click it. It's located to the lower right side of popup screen.
    What does Computer Name and Member of tell you? Is it the same as above? If not make necessary corrections.
  • Avalanche-swe
    159 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Place a finger on both of these keys at the same time:
    Window Key + Pause key at the same time
    Next:
    Advance Settings then Computer Name Tab
    Take note of the following:
    Full Computer Name: XXXXXXXXXXX
    Workgroup: XXXXXXXXX
    Next:
    The place your mouse cursor over Change button and click it. It's located to the lower right side of popup screen.
    What does Computer Name and Member of tell you? Is it the same as above? If not make necessary corrections.

Yepp did that and my full computer name is (example): BillFranz-PC
    Workgroup is: WORKGROUP

Still when i try to change the name in the gamebar file it says that the name "BillFranz-PC" does not exist.