Australian servers are all down/constantly crashing today?

Comments

• PvtJohnTowle
    901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2018
    TheMunt wrote: »
    With respect john i understand your grievance, im also just one of us all in the bf1 playing community on this lil 'ol island that can't have the fun we have… but 75d 3h 35m playing time and you getting a full refund, well that just doesn't make sense to me, your prerogative of course.

You've enjoyed a tremendous amount of time playing (of course its up's n down's along the way) but im sure you've had a good experience on the whole, otherwise you wouldn't invested as much time in the game.

I'd understand it, if you bought it on offer in the past month

So your point is that I shouldn't be asking for a refund in this instance on the grounds I have played the game for period of time? It's up to everyone to make their own decision on whether it is worth getting a refund or put up with the current state of play. Yes it is my prerogative and hopefully my posts have helped someone else. So you are saying a warranty on a game should only last one month and if the game becomes unplayable after that then you are not entitled to any refund? Unfortunately that is not what Australian laws allow and EA has given written undertakings to follow our laws. In any case I am playing BF4 until the next release in Oct this year (pending) but even then it is a case "once bitten, twice shy" so I will be exercising caution on forking out my hard-earned money on something that is put together full of bugs and/or doesn't represent great gameplay both in a community sense and competitive sense.

• SLID0G
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Asian servers seem to be doing the same thing now. hopefully this may force someone at EA/DICE to do some actual work??
  • StarscreamUK
    7269 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I strongly advise nobody follow the advice of doing a chargeback on your credit card. Thats terrible advice to give.
  • _AussieGunman_
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 2018
    I strongly advise nobody follow the advice of doing a chargeback on your credit card. Thats terrible advice to give.

"Terrible advice to give"?

It is within our rights as a consumer in Australia to get a refund for a product with a major fault.
  • PvtJohnTowle
    901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2018

I don't think it is your jurisdiction to give customer advice on their rights under Australian law. A chargeback on a credit card is a legal right of anyone who holds a credit card and provided they follow the cards issuer guidelines regarding time frames to lodge a disputed transaction, then it isn't really your call and I think you are overstepping the mark giving such advice.

If you are going to make such remarks, please educate yourself on our laws, which are freely available on the internet

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/products-and-services/refunds-repairs-and-returns/chargeback
  • _AussieGunman_
    edited April 2018

I don't think it is your jurisdiction to give customer advice on their rights under Australian law. A chargeback on a credit card is a legal right of anyone who holds a credit card and provided they follow the cards issuer guidelines regarding time frames to lodge a disputed transaction, then it isn't really your call and I think you are overstepping the mark giving such advice.

Couldn't agree more. If EA operates in Australia, they have to abide by our laws. Your advice was perfectly sound and I hope other consumers manage to find it.
  • ShevermiN
    389 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If this goes on until the end of the week BF1 will be dead downunder. And if it was fixed nobody would be spamming the forums..

So please fix it to save BF1 downunder and end the spamage.
  • StarscreamUK
    7269 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited April 2018
    I'm not saying don't get a refund. But a chargeback is where you get the credit card company to take the payment back. That is the practice people use when they also claim an unauthorized payment. It will lead to an account lock. Its the same with Sony, Microsoft etc.

Its very different to requesting a refund.

Your link states

Consumers can request a chargeback for a number of reasons, most commonly when:

they pay for products or services with a credit card, or select 'credit' on a debit card, and:the products or services received are not as described
    they do not receive the products or services at all or within the agreed timeframe.
    there are duplicate or fraudulent transactions charges are made without permission
    unrecognised transactions appear
    the business they purchased products or services from stops operating and they did not get what they paid for.

Not sure which one if these you are aiming to use, but a chargeback on an account is the worst way to do it.
  • SnugglesIV
    283 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

If you are going to make such remarks, please educate yourself on our laws, which are freely available on the internet

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/products-and-services/refunds-repairs-and-returns/chargeback

I'm from Australia, and I read that website. You can't request a chargeback for this. I assume you think that you can because of the following point: "the business they purchased products or services from stops operating and they did not get what they paid for." This has nothing to do with a product not operating as it should, but rather the BUSINESS (ie. DICE and EA) not operating/closing down. Hell, I don't think doing a chargeback will even guarantee that you will get your money back (even if you are ok with your account getting locked) as this would be a misuse of a chargeback.

Just wait for the servers to come back online, or request a refund (if you are eligible for it via EA's online policy). Chargeback memes aren't going to help at all.
  • PvtJohnTowle
    edited April 2018
    SnugglesIV wrote: »

I'm from Australia, and I read that website. You can't request a chargeback for this. I assume you think that you can because of the following point: "the business they purchased products or services from stops operating and they did not get what they paid for." This has nothing to do with a product not operating as it should, but rather the BUSINESS (ie. DICE and EA) not operating/closing down. Hell, I don't think doing a chargeback will even guarantee that you will get your money back (even if you are ok with your account getting locked) as this would be a misuse of a chargeback.

Just wait for the servers to come back online, or request a refund (if you are eligible for it via EA's online policy). Chargeback memes aren't going to help at all.

LOL yes you can I have MasterCard Chargeback guide, I have done this before with other games, not EA though.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ajb0OH2tR56EhNxvNisrGFtCcxqERg

https://www.finder.com.au/credit-card-chargeback-denied-know-the-reasons-why
    Faulty or defective purchases. If your purchase arrives with faults or defects or it’s not as described and the merchant refuses to refund you, then you can request a chargeback.

So you buy a game from online store or Steam or Origin as a download, you install it according to instructions and your hardware meets min requirements and it doesn't work then yes the above reason would apply. Also if they send you the wrong format game e.g. PS4 or XBox and you ordered a PC version and they refuse to refund or send you the right format, then yes you would be able to lodge a chargeback on this occasion.

I don't know why you say if you are eligible for a refund and quoting their online policy, because all Aussie BF1 Players would be eligible. EA have made undertakings to the ACCC, so regardless what their online policy says or doesn't say, that's the only thing that matters. I don't know what agenda you are pushing but it's not the players.
  • SnugglesIV
    283 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

LOL yes you can I have MasterCard Chargeback guide, I have done this before with other games, not EA though.

That isn't the link you posted before. Why the hell wouldn't you post the link that actually supported your case?

PS. Read a bit of that too, and I'm 90% sure that you can't chargeback because "the servers have been goofed, and the devs are taking a little too long to fix them." Just because you got a chargeback for other games from other devs, doesn't mean you can do it here too.
  • EA_David
    134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    edited April 2018
    Hi there, I wanted to reiterate that a chargeback generally isn't a great idea, and I've seen plenty cases where it's lead to action being taken on an account.

As mentioned, you can request a refund via the usual means.

As for the main issue in question, unfortunately I don't have an update/any new info at this time. We will of course update you when anything changes.

Thank you.
  • PvtJohnTowle

That isn't the link you posted before. Why the hell wouldn't you post the link that actually supported your case?

PS. Read a bit of that too, and I'm 90% sure that you can't chargeback because "the servers have been goofed, and the devs are taking a little too long to fix them." Just because you got a chargeback for other games from other devs, doesn't mean you can do it here too.

The link I posted stated
    Consumers can request a chargeback for a number of reasons, most commonly when:

so the list is not exhaustive and other reasons may apply
    That isn't the link you posted before.

Have you read it and do you understand it? I only realised after I posted that I had this document, silly me, I must know what documents I have stored on my 3 terabytes of storage at any given time.
  • PvtJohnTowle
    edited April 2018
    EA_David wrote: »
    Hi there, I wanted to reiterate that a chargeback generally isn't a great idea, and I've seen plenty cases where it's lead to action being taken on an account.

As mentioned, you can request a refund via the usual means.

As for the main issue in question, unfortunately I don't have an update/any new info at this time. We will of course update you when anything changes.

Thank you.

If you are prepared to spend 42 minutes on the phone to EA Support AU based in India, hopefully you will be able to get those call times down with more players seeking a refund and streamline the process better.
  • GaZZa59
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Well I have almost had enough after eight consecutive days of not being able to play BF1 online without server disconnection to all players mid game.

Will wait one or two more days for EA to get this fixed ...if not I will seek a full refund as per PvtJohnTowle's method of using accc terms that EA agreed to previously.

Sad to say I cant see EA BF1 in Australia recovering from this debacle & would not be surprised to see significantly less players willing to return on these servers even if the current issue is resolved!
  • PvtJohnTowle
    edited April 2018
    This debacle , it can only be called that has put me off the franchise and I doubt I will buying another title from EA/DICE , their model was screwed from the outset with their RSP program, deviating from the BF4 model of being to "shop around" various GSP's which would have avoided this region wide problem. If you put all your eggs in one basket, it's a recipe for disaster.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/12/one-year-in-battlefield-1is-still-going-strong/

Enter EA's new directive, which wrestled control away from 3rd party servers and ushered in a more tightly-curated online experience through official servers. The flip side was that our only option for player-run servers was to rent them directly from EA in-game. This controversial change took control from player-run servers, which have been a hallmark of the Battlefield experience on PC for 15 years.

The upshot to this change in thinking was that EA could ensure a minimum threshold for the server's quality, forcing a new standard of 60-tic servers across the board. For players who suffered through the paltry 10-tic servers of Battlefield 4 at launch, this was a welcome improvement.

Sadly, another casualty of this alteration is that features for server admins have been totally gutted. Ban lists, an in-game menu, player lists out-of-game, modifier ranges beyond 200 per cent, specific weapon bans, disabling the Behemoth spawn, reserved slots, and assigning other admins are all MIA. Being able to customise servers have always given players a reason to seek out a particular virtual haunt time and again, making friends and developing a sense of community around their favourite server. Now the few custom servers that exist are almost indistinguishable from stock servers.
  • Wannanosaurus
    You can get a refund through the online support chat... I did that for Star Wars Battlefront 2 and the whole process only took about 5 minutes.

I'm equal parts surprised and disappointed that the server issues have yet to be resolved. I hope that the Oceanic Battlefield 1 community can recover from this once its all sorted out.
  • Ridgeblader
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Ah it seems forumfield is the only DICE game left open to Oceania now. GTFO. What other MPFPS games are y'all playing? I am bored.
  • UteUncleBarryyyy
    543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    @StarscreamUK @EA_David

A lot of people suggest doing a chargeback because the company you work for has a loooong history of blatantly ignoring Australian consumer laws and deceiving customers into believing they are not entitled to a refund when they actually are. I have experienced this personally, it's been like this for years and in 2018 nothing has changed. I agree in theory it's not the best way to get a refund but the reality is that for EA purchases it's sometimes the only option. Customers really shouldn't have to cycle through 5-6 support staff just to find someone that follows the law here.
  • zombifiedstalker
    293 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Is this problem only affecting pc? Been ok on xbox bar a couple of days last week.
This discussion has been closed.