My servers are getting flooded with bots 24/7

Comments

• ShredatorFIN
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited May 2018
    Still keeps happening, as I'm writing this. This is a screenshot from our Procon, taken a moment ago:

f320e7997632c9ceeb5a73fa9442bd15.png
    Our server was full 64/64 about 30 minutes ago. Then this XYZ crap started again. Now 12 real players, soon it's going to be dead.... We are not the only one:

f47acd83f840406259f16223872976e3.png
    All of them are overseeded at the moment. They aren't even close to full in reality.

The overseeders fluctuate a bit, but if you keep refreshing that, all of them have this fake queue. There is even more servers affected, I haven't favorited all of them.

We already closed one server down, as we can't afford paying 70€ / month for something we can barely use. Still haven't completely given up, still keeping our most popular server. But shutting it down too is just a matter of time.... we can't afford it. I've also heard similar comments from admins of some other servers in the screenshot. They are considering shutting down.
  • Il-Scavenger-lI
    903 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited May 2018
    EA wants the game dead. That latest server patch barely fixed anything. New crashers were released minutes after the new server update was released. The same methods used.. Seeding still going as well.
  • LumoColor
    521 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    EA wants the game dead.
    Shhhhhhhh.......! dont say that!

• lSDIl
    1022 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    They need to shift these problems over the BF1 and put it out of its misery.
  • tempo_rarity
    1377 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ^please explain this post
  • lSDIl
    EA are trying to kill the wrong battlefield.
  • StarscreamUK
    7550 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    EA are not trying to kill anything. Thats just absurd.
  • lSDIl
    It would be more euthanasia in the case of BF1 though.
  • ThunderbirdBlue
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Well, maybe EA aren't trying to kill it, but i have multiple issues with the server browser and when i contacted them for help they emailed me what they said were fixes and both links were dead. Curious....

You all wanna do something about this kind of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ then vote with your wallet like me...i haven't bought anything EA since BF4 because of all the BS they refuse to fix. It's thievery and i won't enable it on principal alone.
  • MageOfAnubis
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Just got time to read these. Wow... a huge 'Calm Down' is in order, mayhaps?

First off, to SaltyKez: Yes, I know what the issue was regarding. I too had issues with bots reserving logins on my servers... However, I was implying that the host provider can filter specific IP's to the server if need be. Even from Battlelog (although I wouldn't go THAT far). I can see now that my objective wasn't clear enough, and appreciate the [somewhat] kind, yet subtle, 'clueless nudge'.

As for the flaming of the moderators here... give them a break! They have a LOT of content to moderate on a daily basis, spanning 4 separate platforms and several version of Battlefield. As a fellow 'IT Guy' I can appreciate the time and effort they make to accommodate everyone. Also (as an 'IT Guy') I am all too aware that you will NEVER be able to accommodate everyone. No matter how hard you try, or middle ground you attempt to capture. So I guess about the only thing I can say is: Not everything surrounding EA, Battlefield, or DICE is a conspiracy! Sometime things slip through, break, and just plain get overlooked. Also there is a HUGE user factor at play here (Read: THE HUMAN EQUATION), so mistakes are highly probable. So cut them some needed slack.

I'm sure I too will suffer a 'Flame' for this response, so fire away!

Thanks for the read!
  • UMADLOLZ
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    This HAS TO BE FIXED!!!!!! absolutely ******* gamebreaking!!!! When i join server with 64/64(13) and see there is 4 players it just makes me quit the game.
  • Aily86
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    So there's really no way of stopping or preventing those nasty bots from basically killing BF4 servers then? :(
  • JepJep01
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    My guess is it will be not fixed.
    There some reasons for this.

First EA doesn't care about communities.
    They think in quarter sales, because in those first months it will bring the most money for them and the stakeholders.

Harldline and bf1 died very fast after the first few months.
    So you would think they would change stuff.
    But no ergo they made enough money to make a new game like bf5(bf1 dlc imo). Didn't costs too much because they can use stuff from bf1.

And i think they are to trying to let bf4 die.
    Because for me i can't start bf4 within origin anymore need to do it through battlelog. And guess what i can start bf1 through origin. Also you can't see if a server is full with players in bl anymore. There were some posts about this problem btw.

Aftersales is a no brainer for EA, all they want is your money.
    And don't believe them if they talk about communities, they don't care. If they did they would have fixed this problem already. An executive said they were looking into it a few months ago, still no fix.
    So don't believe them.

And if you like to play a game that lasts max 6 months then buy bf5.
    And remember the first 2 months of the game will be still in beta for an AAA price.

And the fact that over the years a lot of DICE employees left the company says enough on how EA is running things.
  • JepJep01
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    By the way for get my last post.
    I got stocks.
  • StarscreamUK
    7550 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    JepJep01 wrote: »
    Because for me i can't start bf4 within origin anymore need to do it through battlelog.

why what happens, it starts from origin for me still, but I prefer to use battlelog
  • 0ld_yell0w
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Well Ive got the same issue, I CAN start the battlelog but its unresponsive and doesnt show playercount/ping/serverpage. it tells me Theres an unknown error. The missing patching of the game we all known about for years and nothing has been done to close the holes from DICE. I am not an IT-guy but a lot of those around me is and they all say this issue can be resolved with patching up the game.
    Some of the cheatpages gives away crashers to let cheaters take Down servers for free, Im not quite sure I understand the idea and at some point I would appreciate if they would try to kill BF5 same way before its released, mainly because EA/DICE would have to make sure something nasty happend to those people as they would lose a lot of Money before the game was even out of beta ;)

We all know BF4 is an old game, And I dont expect new DLC's but for krysake DICE, you can leave a game in this state with this amount of players still playing it.

• MageOfAnubis
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2018
    Well from what I can tell, and what I have been told from colleagues who work with EA supporting partners, EA's network is under (almost) constant DDoS attack. So add 'fill hacking' to the list . I am sure there is more up their sleeves. By 'their' I am talking about the 2018 SJW version of the hacking clan that has the 'Stick it to The Man!' mentality. This has been a constant battle with EA, Sony, Microsoft, and others. They are all on their hit list. If you Google it, you'll see how long it's been going on.

This is why BF1 servers go offline at random times, and the ping rates for U.S. servers go through the roof. Or XBOX and PS having issues connecting, or downloading updates. The hackers keep tabs, and know the load times on EA's servers.. They know the busy game times on the weekend, and the update release schedule. Steam gets hit pretty hard also. This was one of the primary reasons they took play stats offline (the player count stat and load times for various online games).

I am told (rumor mind you) that the powers that have been investigating this, believe they have the originating area pinned down. The East Coast! It took them 4 years to get a region narrowed down... but that's the hard nature of DDoS. It's a distributed attack, coming from several (possibly hundreds) of directions at once. Even from overseas.

EA has just stopped talking about it (so as not to scare away their perspective $$ I would imagine). That, or it's a corporate denial thing...

So take away from this what you will. And no, I don't expect a solution anytime in the near future. Not even after the release of BF5 in October.
  • Aily86
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I got stocks.

Hehe ;)
    Because for me i can't start bf4 within origin anymore need to do it through battlelog.

why what happens, it starts from origin for me still, but I prefer to use battlelog

Since 3 days(?) ago I've had to use BattleLog to join servers, since launching from the Origin app simply won't work :(
    In my case: I press [Play] and nothing happens. I've tried launching it through 'Join Friend' and such, but to no avail. It simply stopped working all of a sudden. I repaired the game, plus update the game, and none of those worked. Also restarted the computer, router, etc. And it's still not working.

I know that EA is a business - apparently ranked #1 Most Hated Company in the U.S - but even so, I would have liked 'Ping' and 'Players' inside BF4 itself to have been fixed years ago :/ Man has been to outer space, climbed Everest, and created a game as advanced as BF4. To the company responsible for the maintenance of BF4: Shame on you!

Regarding bots 'filling' servers: And here I was thinking to myself that it really sucks that I have to use other means to be able to check how many are actually playing on a BF4 server. The reality, I guess, is that companies will always be companies. And EA will always be EA.

:(
  • MageOfAnubis
    Aily86 wrote: »
    I got stocks.

The reality, I guess, is that companies will always be companies. And EA will always be EA.

:(

Unfortunately. I remember a HUGE retail giant, not too long ago, that had that same mentality. The 'We no longer need customers. Shear market momentum and mindless consumerism will ensure our continued growth'. What was their name again?... oh yes. KMart (pronounced 'Came Apart'). Never underestimate the power of the consumer. Unfortunately the 'mindless consumerism' thing is also a factor.

I think if the gamers united and told EA 'get straight or get gone' (and actually refused to buy games or participate in anything EA). They would come around real quick. What's that line from Avatar? "The only thing shareholders hate worse than bad press, is bad quarterly statements". Lol... and that is true. Back in the 80's, when John Sculley ran Apple into the dirt, they too almost went disolvent! So you're NEVER too big! The customer will ALWAYS be the tail that wags that dog!
  • MageOfAnubis
    edited July 2018
    Hey, Aily86!

I was sitting here thinking about your issue with the Origin client. I received the same update everyone else did, and I don't seem to have any issues. I'm running Windows 10 v1709. I deferred the new 1803 April 2018 update because of the issues that were being reported.

https://windowscentral.com/windows-10-april-2018-update-biggest-user-problems-and-complaints

NEVER take the first round of updates from Microslop, less you be yet another unwilling Beta tester!

Did you take the update? It may explain your issues... shot in the dark.