Incursions - A Competitive Players Views

SMK_GAMING_2
485 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
edited April 11
So incursions arrived yesterday and I got to play it for around 10 rounds, my thoughts may seem very critical but that certainly isn't my intention, I want to see this mode get better. It has a lot of promise for the eSport scene if feedback is taken on board by DICE. So here are my thoughts so far on BF1's new competitive game mode.

- The Maps

The maps are ok but I really need more time on them to decide properly, but at the minute I like Amiens the best, the additional cover and new routes are improve these area's for sure. However, what I will comment on is the current size and scale of the maps, they are too large for 5v5 in my opinion and as such that creates problems and challenges, i.e. the games pacing.

- Pacing & Spawn System

Because the maps are so big it is important that the game has a good spawn system to ensure the games pacing isn't too slow. The current spawn system allows you to either spawn

1) on your team leader
2) a spawn beacon (if a player chooses the kit for it)
3) base spawn.

Number 3 is the problem, these spawns are far too far away and as a result game play is so slow. If the pacing of the game is to be improved these need looked at.

- Quitters

Its good to see DICE implement a system where quitters are punished, but in my opinion the 5 minute timeout is no where near enough for a first time offence, make it an hour at least. Some of you may be thinking, "whoa man that is too severe", well let me explain my reasoning behind this.

If a player quits, another player cannot join the game, only the quitter can rejoin and most often doesn't and happily waits out his 5 minute timeout while his team mates get wrecked. The higher a games ranking the more difficult it is for a 4 man team. That is because those players in the Gold, Platinum or Diamond tiers can better take advantage of the extra man. If the person who quit was a player who was previously able to revive or put down spawn beacons then they have lost a player who could have potentially helped his team stay on the objective. This is a kit that another player cannot take up because you cannot change your current kit. This moves me onto my next point about how kit swapping could help 4 man teams stay competitive against a full 5 man squad.

- Kit Changing/Swapping

If someone quits a match feel the 4 man team should be allowed to change their kits around at least once each half to try and deal with being a man down, this would be done after a death and in the spawn screen. The only time this should stop is if the quitter rejoins. Its not the other 4 players fault that some person rage quit, it is incredibility frustrating in small game modes because an extra player can be such a big influence.

- Pre-Round Kit Selection

I do not believe that at any point in the pre-round kit selection should you be locked into taking a kit, I feel you should be able to change depending on what the opposition have selected and what the makeup of your current team is also.

- Server Settings

I like that the kill came is off, as is 3d spotting, but it must go further than this. Auto Rotation should be off by default, at a very minimum it should be off in Gold, Platinum and Diamond tier games.

I have thoughts on other things but I need more time to properly critique other aspects such as the makeup of the available kits as well as map and gamemode improvements. Let me know what you think of my suggested improvements.

Comments

• wandiferis
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited April 11
    Great points, especially with the base spawn location and map size. Haven't had enough time in ranked matches to comment on switching kits. Additionally the tanks feel out of place for 5v5, imo the game flows better without the tank
  • SMK_GAMING_2
    485 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited April 11
    wandiferis wrote: »
    Great points, especially with the base spawn location and map size. Haven't had enough time in ranked matches to comment on switching kits. Additionally the tanks feel out of place for 5v5, imo the game flows better without the tank

I at first was very worried about this, but I have won games where they had a tank and we did not. The tanker cannot repair inside the tank, he must get out. If you have AT kit with the limpy you can take it out easily enough.

I would like the option to have modes with no tank though for sure
  • theONEFORCE
    2187 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Aim assist needs to go or the whole thing is a farce.
  • DonSharkito
    325 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I am still unable to try it (due to Dice being Dice), but by watching some videos I had already noticed some of the points you mentioned.

Also I would urge you to post your feedback in the link below so it gets more chances to be taken into account.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_comp/
  • INCUBA3E-BF
    1915 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Competitive but still has aim assist.............lol
  • DonSharkito
    Competitive but still has aim assist.............lol

Tbf I am not worried about aim assist at all, but more M&K usage
  • SMK_GAMING_2
    Thanks for the feedback. I am still unable to try it (due to Dice being Dice), but by watching some videos I had already noticed some of the points you mentioned.

Also I would urge you to post your feedback in the link below so it gets more chances to be taken into account.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_comp/

I've posted it on there thanks

• BaronVonGoon
    4284 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I've played half my placement matches.

2 of them were 5 v 5 and we won both.
    3 of them we had a teammate leave so ended up 4 v 5. Lost all three.

Now I remember why Overwatch was so infuriating.
  • DonSharkito

Lol, were you playing with randoms? if so wasn't it too infuriating?
  • BaronVonGoon
    4284 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited April 11

Lol, were you playing with randoms? if so wasn't it too infuriating?

Edit:
    4 of them we had a teammate leave so ended up 4 v 5. Lost all four. The last one I had more kills than my entire team put together.

I'm done. Playing with Randos is too infuriating. Back to conquest.
  • TheSheepPimp
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Not going to bother with this much longer, too many quitters.
  • wandiferis
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Should start at an hour ban and go up from there.
  • BaronVonGoon

Agreed.
  • INCUBA3E-BF
    1915 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Considering you cant play with a full squad of friends, and the player count already, banning people will just make the servers empty
  • The_BERG_366
    1357 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    auto rotation will be disabled tomorrow (announced by indigo via twitter). furtherly I actually like that u can't squad with 5 people yet. Its not fun to go for a match all by yourself and being put against a full comp team stack...
    even right now if I play with one friend against a team with 2x2 comp players we mostly loose pretty badly... now imagine 1x5 instead of 2x2...
  • BaronVonGoon
    auto rotation will be disabled tomorrow (announced by indigo via twitter). furtherly I actually like that u can't squad with 5 people yet. Its not fun to go for a match all by yourself and being put against a full comp team stack...
    even right now if I play with one friend against a team with 2x2 comp players we mostly loose pretty badly... now imagine 1x5 instead of 2x2...

Not fun being matched with 4 Randos either who are less skilled than bots. My biggest mistake is doing my placement matches with randoms instead of partying up. 3-4 record so far with a 3 k/d. Apparently only win/loss counts for the ranking. So I may end with a rank I don't deserve in which case im uninstalling Incursions, BF1 and deleting my forum account. Horrible experience so far. Try capping a flag vs 5 enemies because your 4 teammates don't know that you're supposed to be in the cap zone.
  • DonSharkito

Not fun being matched with 4 Randos either who are less skilled than bots. My biggest mistake is doing my placement matches with randoms instead of partying up. 3-4 record so far with a 3 k/d. Apparently only win/loss counts for the ranking. So I may end with a rank I don't deserve in which case im uninstalling Incursions, BF1 and deleting my forum account. Horrible experience so far. Try capping a flag vs 5 enemies because your 4 teammates don't know that you're supposed to be in the cap zone.

Man to be fair from what I have seen some people are not even playing when joining a game. They are just waiting til the end and repeat this 3 times to get the unique melee puzzle.

I hope when I try it, the other players will at least have the decency to shoot at least one bullet.
  • The_BERG_366
    1357 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

u don't have to play with 4 randos... just three :P. jokes aside, don't forget it's the same for others as well, everyone has to queue like that. after a decent amount of matches u should receive exactly the rank u deserve (by the law of large numbers :smirk:). also stacking with 4 others against randy teams doesn't give u the rank u "deserve" either btw... thst rather gives u a too high rank.
    of course one can get unlucky with teams at the start but that is inevitable really, not the fault of the game or matchmaking. again using stacks against randies to seemingly make up for your own "bad" team isn't fair either... we're all in the same place. People seem to generally ignore the fact that the enemy team has the same amount of useless players in average. prior always claim that their "bad" teammates are responsible for a loss even if the enemy team had just as many bad players but other good players thst simply outperformed your own good ones...

again I'm not saying u are rated perfectly with whatever rank u will get. I'm saying that stacking doesn't rank u correct as well. the current system is better for starting off as its harder for the system to recognise the level of a player right now than it will be after a few weeks... once the ranks have settled it won't be possible to get above a certain level without stacking anyway, but right now (with the games being more unbalanced than they will be) it's a good idea to not make it worse with stacks.
  • BaronVonGoon
    edited April 12

u don't have to play with 4 randos... just three :P. jokes aside, don't forget it's the same for others as well, everyone has to queue like that. after a decent amount of matches u should receive exactly the rank u deserve (by the law of large numbers :smirk:). also stacking with 4 others against randy teams doesn't give u the rank u "deserve" either btw... thst rather gives u a too high rank.
    of course one can get unlucky with teams at the start but that is inevitable really, not the fault of the game or matchmaking. again using stacks against randies to seemingly make up for your own "bad" team isn't fair either... we're all in the same place. People seem to generally ignore the fact that the enemy team has the same amount of useless players in average. prior always claim that their "bad" teammates are responsible for a loss even if the enemy team had just as many bad players but other good players thst simply outperformed your own good ones...

again I'm not saying u are rated perfectly with whatever rank u will get. I'm saying that stacking doesn't rank u correct as well. the current system is better for starting off as its harder for the system to recognise the level of a player right now than it will be after a few weeks... once the ranks have settled it won't be possible to get above a certain level without stacking anyway, but right now (with the games being more unbalanced than they will be) it's a good idea to not make it worse with stacks.

I know. I understand what you're saying. I went through all this in Overwatch. I meant to day I shouldve at the very least duo queued with someone I trust. instead I'm relying on a team of randoms. :(

@SMK_GAMING_2 don't you think it's a joke that you ended up at Gold 3? I think it's a joke I ended up at effing Silver 1. Silver friggin 1!!! I finish conquest round 70+ kills and 12 deaths yet the idiotic Incursions matchmaker thinks I'm Silver 1, ie a below average player. I was excited finishing my 10 placement matches with a 2.5+ k/d amd expecting at a Diamond rank where I belong. But I guess it ranked me based on the 6 wins and 4 losses.

#tilted
    Post edited by BaronVonGoon on
  • SMK_GAMING_2

I know. I understand what you're saying. I went through all this in Overwatch. I meant to day I shouldve at the very least duo queued with someone I trust. instead I'm relying on a team of randoms. :(

@SMK_GAMING_2 don't you think it's a joke that you ended up at Gold 3? I think it's a joke I ended up at effing Silver 1. Silver friggin 1!!! I finish conquest round 70+ kills and 12 deaths yet the idiotic Incursions matchmaker thinks I'm Silver 1, ie a below average player. I was excited finishing my 10 placement matches with a 2.5+ k/d amd expecting at a Diamond rank where I belong. But I guess it ranked me based on the 6 wins and 4 losses.

#tilted

Unfortunately I did a lot of my games on my own and my team got wrecked lol. I still can't believe how I ended up playing against such good players that I recognise from the comp scene yet my 4 team mates were clearly 4 guys looking to try out the game mode