Why is skill frowned upon in the battlefield community?

lllPeligrolll
211 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
edited April 11
I hope my question is not viewed as a bait discussion because I'm generally curious. What I've noticed is a lot of players hate when skill is brought up in conversation. Some even feel offended.

I've noticed on Reddit, here, and across social media this sort of dunning kruger effect where people think they are better than what they currently are.

For example I was having a discussion with someone about why I hate suppression and disagree with it because it RNGs aim. This person went on to insult me and told me to go play COD if I don't like or can't handle skill. This person had a 0.55kd 0.5 kpm and 55hrs playing time. He barely played the game and ironically he played cod. I never played cod.

In other places like csgo, pubg, fortnite, etc skill is celebrated. Top players and top get the recognition they deserve. In bf, not so much. You get hackusations, people chalking it up to luck etc more often than not.

Comments

• MigueTK
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    What really defines skill? Some other guy had that thread about the average BF1 player stats and KDR that triggered people. I really don't care about numbers, because at the end of the day it's a game, and the support that has a -2:1 KDR but is at the top of the leader board/squad is more "skillful" than stat bashing tryhards. Kills matter to an extent ( thank you DICE for your new ticket scoring /s), but team play is a much better indicator of skill, the support that supports with mortars and ammo, the medic that heals and revives are much more skillful IMO. Play together, stick together and have fun! Hopefully incursions will keep the COD kiddies occupied with its stat tracking.
  • lllPeligrolll
    211 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    MigueTK wrote: »
    What really defines skill? Some other guy had that thread about the average BF1 player stats and KDR that triggered people. I really don't care about numbers, because at the end of the day it's a game, and the support that has a -2:1 KDR but is at the top of the leader board/squad is more "skillful" than stat bashing tryhards. Kills matter to an extent ( thank you DICE for your new ticket scoring /s), but team play is a much better indicator of skill, the support that supports with mortars and ammo, the medic that heals and revives are much more skillful IMO. Play together, stick together and have fun! Hopefully incursions will keep the COD kiddies occupied with its stat tracking.

True what I'm not talking is skill rating. just skill. Like if someone has superior skills in aim tracking, reading the game predicting enemy movement knowing when to flank and when etc I consider that all part of skill that can't be quantified in a stat. That's what I'm really addressing.

Not the stat tracking. That's a different discussion.
  • Sixclicks
    2552 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 11
    Because stats are so easily manipulated in this game, and there's a lot more factors that effect it more than in other shooters.

I don't think skill is frowned upon at all. I think it's just not relevant to most conversations or comes off as bragging/bashing when you bring it up.

I have noticed a lot of lesser skilled players do overestimate their skill though. I've read a lot of arguments in support of weak guns saying they absolutely own with it just to find out they've got below average stats or very little usage with that weapon. Or they complain that something is too easy or overpowered despite barely using it, if at all.
  • lllPeligrolll
    edited April 11
    GRIZZ11283 wrote: »
    Why does it even matter?
    Its just a game, I think people forget that sometimes.

It's ok to talk about aspects of the game people enjoy in a shooter.
  • ImpossiblyBad
    194 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    In an unranked game where anyone can fight anyone, many people can find it irritating to be stuck in a server with someone you flat out can't defeat.
  • MigueTK
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

True what I'm not talking is skill rating. just skill. Like if someone has superior skills in aim tracking, reading the game predicting enemy movement knowing when to flank and when etc I consider that all part of skill that can't be quantified in a stat. That's what I'm really addressing.

Yeah that would be very difficult to gauge playing with randoms, hence the shortcut to look at KDR or SPM. One indicator that I have seen for skill is map awareness and "lane" knowledge. I was playing with a really good squad on Passchendaele when it dropped and they were following orders and back capping with me, setting up tripwires for approaching cavalry and defense, it was the most fun I've had on apocalypse. Of course we lost the round since we couldn't help the blueberries getting harvested at the clusdterf*ck at D, but man that squad was good and skillful with how we played together.
  • Wessmyre
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    "noticed is a lot of players hate when skill is brought up in conversation"

You mean mouse clicking skill? LOL made me laugh THANKS!
  • x_Undaunted_x
    3210 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I hope my question is not viewed as a bait discussion because I'm generally curious. What I've noticed is a lot of players hate when skill is brought up in conversation. Some even feel offended.

I've noticed on Reddit, here, and across social media this sort of dunning kruger effect where people think they are better than what they currently are.

For example I was having a discussion with someone about why I hate suppression and disagree with it because it RNGs aim. This person went on to insult me and told me to go play COD if I don't like or can't handle skill. This person had a 0.55kd 0.5 kpm and 55hrs playing time. He barely played the game and ironically he played cod. I never played cod.

In other places like csgo, pubg, fortnite, etc skill is celebrated. Top players and top get the recognition they deserve. In bf, not so much. You get hackusations, people chalking it up to luck etc more often than not.

Let me sum up 99.99% of all gaming forums:

Ideas people agree with = skill.
    Ideas people don't agree with = no skill.

It's just the nature of being in an online forum where you're pretty much anonymous. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • EdwinSpangler
    806 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Egos man.. Forget about it and play with people who are decent.. You on PC? I could suggest a great server..
  • GRIZZ11283
    4267 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    GRIZZ11283 wrote: »
    Why does it even matter?
    Its just a game, I think people forget that sometimes.

It's ok to talk about aspects of the game people enjoy in a shooter.

That's not what your opening post is about though.
  • lllPeligrolll
    Wessmyre wrote: »
    "noticed is a lot of players hate when skill is brought up in conversation"

You mean mouse clicking skill? LOL made me laugh THANKS!

If that's all you got out of that, congratulations.
  • lllPeligrolll
    edited April 11

Let me sum up 99.99% of all gaming forums:

Ideas people agree with = skill.
    Ideas people don't agree with = no skill.

It's just the nature of being in an online forum where you're pretty much anonymous. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's really battlefield I see this in. I see it in other forums but not to the level of battlefield. Even in this thread, you have people who comment but not contributing to the discussion.

I mentioned what I mean by skill, not skill weapons or so. I'm talking about making plays, target aquistion, etc. I'm not talking about kd, which weapon people like or considered cheesy or which is considered a "skill cannon"

@GRIZZ11283 it is though. It's discussing why skill is frowned about. You're asking why does it matter. It doesn't but people who want to discuss it should have a place instead of being scorned for doing so. The battlefield community likes to highlight memes rather than cool plays. Nothing wrong with memes but it's cool to see more good plays.
  • theONEFORCE
    2187 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    People in this game desperately want to justify why they should be looked at as good players even though they are nowhere near. They also desperately want to justify why good players should be considered bad.
  • lllPeligrolll
    People in this game desperately want to justify why they should be looked at as good players even though they are nowhere near. They also desperately want to justify why good players should be considered bad.

Yeah something I don't get. I don't claim to be the greatest so I'm always looking to learn and get better. Some people don't like that. People hate YouTubers like broken machine even though he's not really outspoken he just plays but because he offers tips to beginners you have trolls that come in and try to crap on the guy. I don't get it.
  • IG-Calibre
    632 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The average Battlefield player is a lot better than the baddies that think they are good. This is the problem with battlefield and the hackusations fly about the place. "they beat me therefore they must have cheated because i'm really good at the game" they think in their own mind & even though their stats clearly show they're not that good at all. They will bend over backwards to explain it because PTFO.
  • lllPeligrolll
    This is my opinion only, but as in any other multiplayer FPS your skill is measured by how efficiently you defeat the enemy i.e kill them (including for example how good is your aim, your reaction time, your moves, your understanding of a situation and so on).

And to me this applies to BF as well. You still have to kill the enemy if you want to win, this is to me the top priority along with capping/holding flags (or whatever is the objective of the game mode you are playing).

But because of BF's complexity compared to other FPS shooters, some people are completely distracted by all the other ways you can contribute and get points from (revives, heals, resupplies, flares, capping empty flags and so on) and believe that they are equally or more important, creating a false narrative in my view. Getting a high score ≠ necessarily being skilled in this game.

Players who are not good at killing will for example put more emphasis on those and will minimise the impact kills have on a game, or say that they don't matter. The truth is you can perform how many times you want all those tasks, if your team is not good at killing you will lose. The other truth is that they generally don't necessitate any skill.

Don't get me wrong, revives, resupplies, heals, flares etc. are needed and important, but they are supporting/secondary tasks and not the top priority tasks in this game.

Yeah, I believe we shared the same thoughts. The point system was geared to revives and such to encourage people to play as a team, but this creates a false narrative that they are just as important and they are not. They are so many people that can do what they do, pop flares, revives, resupplies, etc. There's not a lot of people that can kill at a high level especially from an infantry standpoint.
  • IG-Calibre
    632 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    well that's your opinion, i'd sooner play with someone with a low kdr and a high spm, than someone with a high KDR and a low SPM. nothing to do with "false narratives"
  • DonSharkito
    325 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    IG-Calibre wrote: »
    well that's your opinion, i'd sooner play with someone with a low kdr and a high spm, than someone with a high KDR and a low SPM. nothing to do with "false narratives"

The truth is that a "skilled" player will more likely have a high kdr and a high spm. But otherwise I agree with you.