The Ultimate Battlefield 1 Graphics/Performance Guide 2018

Comments

• JRMBelgiumTwitch
    708 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018
    Hi, I have this setup

I7 7700 + RX470 4GB + 8 GB DDR4 2400MHZ KINGSTON + H110M PRO PLUS

I play with low settings with 60 fps with drops to 30 or 40. Is it a problem of having only 8 gb of ram? or should I configure the user.cfg according to my I7. If its the last option? how should I configure it? could you copy what i'd had to write? thanks a lot

First of all, you have to keep in mind that framedrops to 40fps are normal for the rx 470 in this game with all settings on high/ultra. When you see this card in charts in GPU reviews, it's usually being tested on a very powerfull system with 16-32gb RAM ( dual channel ), and a CPU that is clocked at 4.5Ghz-5Ghz on all cores in singleplayer mode while your CPU only reaches 4Ghz in a game like Battlefield and you are playin in 64player multiplayer mode. And in the online reviews you already see minimum framerates around 40fps with the rx 470. But the fact that you drop to 30 seems abnormal to me. Especially if you don't go crazy on the graphics settings.

If you have 2x 4GB, you could be fine if your not running to much other software in the background ( anti virus, discord, steam, browser, etc... ) but it's really testing the limits. If it's only one stick of 8GB, you could be running in to bandwith issues. Have a look at this video:

So for optimal stability and to be future proof, I would upgrade to 16GB as soon as you have the money for it. It could be the main cause of your framerate issues.
    Keep in mind that buying another 8GB stick does come with risks. If you don't buy 2 completely new 8GB sticks ( a kit ) , you are not 100% sure that both sticks are compatible.
    There is a reason why RAM modules are being sold in kits.
    Don't look at it as a waste of money because you can still keep using the DDR 4 modules if and when you decide to upgrade your CPU/Motherboard.
    Remember that if you are planning on upgrading to Ryzen in the future, the best bet is to buy 3000Mhz ( or higher ) modules if your current motherboard supports it.

I don't think there is much you can change in your .ini to increase performance.
    But just in case, you could try the following settings. It never hurts to try.

thread.processorcount 9
    thread.maxprocessorcount 9
    thread.minfreeprocessorcount 0
    RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 0

I know it looks strange, but putting the setting at 9 will result in 8 threads. In your case, that's 100% of the available threads.

Other things you might wanna give a try:
    - Clean your GPU/CPU fans: Make sure it's dustfree because dust can increase the maximum temperature and might cause temperature throttling.
    - Increase the power limit in the AMD driver's wattman settings. There have been cases with AMD cards where they don't run at full speed without increasing the power limit
    - Overclocking the GPU, but this will not eliminate the 50% performance drops. It could however increase your minimum framerate

Whatever you do, make sure you put lighting on low, effects on low and post processing on low with your GPU.

I hope this helps ;)

• QliMaXMiTo
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hi, I just came across this thread and I really appreciate the amount of effort you put into this, but I'm afraid your testing methodology is partially flawed as it seems you're not restarting the game between changes to the video settings.

Some options require a full restart of the game to properly apply (reconnecting to the server isn't enough either); I don't know how much this makes a difference visually, but it definitely has a measurable impact on the FPS.

I don't have the numbers at hand but I've tested this different times in the past and—for example—launching the game with low settings and then switching to ultra is going to give you a signifcantly higher than normal FPS reading until the next time you launch the game; the opposite is also true when going from higher to lower settings.

I imagine some settings aren't affected by this; I suspect one of the culprits is probably mesh quality as I've observed discrepancies in the LOD of background elements between game restarts.
  • Oskool_007
    557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    ^ yup, that's why there was no difference with the Effects Quality setting.
  • JRMBelgiumTwitch
    708 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    QliMaXMiTo wrote: »
    Hi, I just came across this thread and I really appreciate the amount of effort you put into this, but I'm afraid your testing methodology is partially flawed as it seems you're not restarting the game between changes to the video settings.

Some options require a full restart of the game to properly apply (reconnecting to the server isn't enough either); I don't know how much this makes a difference visually, but it definitely has a measurable impact on the FPS.

I don't have the numbers at hand but I've tested this different times in the past and—for example—launching the game with low settings and then switching to ultra is going to give you a signifcantly higher than normal FPS reading until the next time you launch the game; the opposite is also true when going from higher to lower settings.

I imagine some settings aren't affected by this; I suspect one of the culprits is probably mesh quality as I've observed discrepancies in the LOD of background elements between game restarts.

Thank you very much. What I don't understand is that they don't provide a message for these settings. It's clear when you change from DX11 to DX12 that the game needs a reboot, but if what you are saying is true, then it's basicly impossible to benchmark those settings. Because I tried to stay in the same area in the same multiplayer game while benchmarking, something you can't do if you constantly have to reboot the game.
  • QliMaXMiTo
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    QliMaXMiTo wrote: »

Thank you very much. What I don't understand is that they don't provide a message for these settings. It's clear when you change from DX11 to DX12 that the game needs a reboot, but if what you are saying is true, then it's basicly impossible to benchmark those settings. Because I tried to stay in the same area in the same multiplayer game while benchmarking, something you can't do if you constantly have to reboot the game.

Yeah, it's unfortunate, although with further in-depth testing it should be possible to pinpoint the exact settings responsible for this discrepancy; I have a feeling it's only one or two options that are misbehaving (mesh quality and/or terrain quality).

By the way, spectator mode's free camera with its pre-defined positions is a decent way of getting the exact same shot between restarts, however the downside is most (probably all) cameras are placed several meters in the air, making it hard—or even impossible—to appreciate visual differences on things like texture quality or terrain decorations.
  • TyrexaN
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Great post ! But I still have fps drops and low GPU usage :( I've got i5 4460, GTX 1060 6GB and 8GB RAM dual channel. DX12 off, VSync off, doesn't matter if I play on ultra or on low I always get fps drops because my GPU is at 50-70% usage while all cores are at 90-100%. I also put resolution scaling to 140% and GPU usage rised a little but It's still not like on videos from YT where people with same specs have smooth and stable frames. Could You help me ? I was changing settings in Nvidia Control Panel but it's still not what I want to have...
  • JRMBelgiumTwitch
    TyrexaN wrote: »
    Great post ! But I still have fps drops and low GPU usage :( I've got i5 4460, GTX 1060 6GB and 8GB RAM dual channel. DX12 off, VSync off, doesn't matter if I play on ultra or on low I always get fps drops because my GPU is at 50-70% usage while all cores are at 90-100%. I also put resolution scaling to 140% and GPU usage rised a little but It's still not like on videos from YT where people with same specs have smooth and stable frames. Could You help me ? I was changing settings in Nvidia Control Panel but it's still not what I want to have...

With resolution scale at 140% you are badicly playing on 3K. Turn it back to 100%. Install msi afterburner and overclock the GPU core to 2000Mhz and the memory to 2200Mhz. Make sure to run the game windowed to monitor boost speed on GPU.
  • TyrexaN
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    TyrexaN wrote: »

With resolution scale at 140% you are badicly playing on 3K. Turn it back to 100%. Install msi afterburner and overclock the GPU core to 2000Mhz and the memory to 2200Mhz. Make sure to run the game windowed to monitor boost speed on GPU.

Still low GPU usage and low fps :( Sometimes GPU has 25% usage... Doesn't matter if I choose ultra settings or low... I think I tried everything but still can't solve my problem
  • panther035
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    i5 4460. thats your problem.
    for smooth gameplay i7 is a minimum.
  • maskin_bror
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have a I5 7500, GTX 1070 and 8GB of RAM but i still only get 50 fps. Someone pls help me!
  • NamelessForNow
    1420 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have a I5 7500, GTX 1070 and 8GB of RAM but i still only get 50 fps. Someone pls help me!

Add more ram
  • JRMBelgiumTwitch

If your ram is not running dual channel, double it, and your CPU is below minium spec. The 7500 is not faster then the 6600k.
  • maskin_bror
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

If your ram is not running dual channel, double it, and your CPU is below minium spec. The 7500 is not faster then the 6600k.

But i only have one 8 GB ram stick...
  • JRMBelgiumTwitch

But i only have one 8 GB ram stick...

Thats a big issue. 8GB is barely enough to run the game. And with only one stick you dont have enough bandwith.
  • o0Fighteredwin
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    i had and still some issues with lag spikes but use to run at 30-45 , now i have 60 - 50 stables but still having drops to 30-40 fps randomly and dont know why.
    GTX 1070 AERO OC
    I7 6700K 4.6
    1 STICK OF 16GB OF RAM

Runing the game at 1080P
    Preset on ultra.

Sometimes i think this game is so bad optimized, because its the only game that is being a pain in the a...

Someone have this too ?¡
  • freakingcrazy
    924 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2018
    i had and still some issues with lag spikes but use to run at 30-45 , now i have 60 - 50 stables but still having drops to 30-40 fps randomly and dont know why.
    GTX 1070 AERO OC
    I7 6700K 4.6
    1 STICK OF 16GB OF RAM

Runing the game at 1080P
    Preset on ultra.

Sometimes i think this game is so bad optimized, because its the only game that is being a pain in the a...

Someone have this too ?¡

look at 2 or 3 post above,you run it at single channel mode with 1x16 gb, you need 2x16gb to enable dual channel and that will be a massive improvement
    just buy one extra 16gb (same type ,brand is the best)ram stick

Check motherboard manual for the correct setup,witch RAM slots to use
  • maskin_bror
    edited November 2018
    You guys say that the problem is on the ram, right? Because bf1 is'nt even using all my ram, but it's uses my CPU at a steady 100%...
    Pls tell that someone else have this problem too.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    11676 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    GTX 1070 AERO OC
    I7 6700K 4.6
    1 STICK OF 16GB OF RAM

Runing the game at 1080P
    Preset on ultra.

Someone have this too ?¡

look at 2 or 3 post above,you run it at single channel mode with 1x16 gb, you need 2x16gb to enable dual channel and that will be a massive improvement
    just buy one extra 16gb (same type ,brand is the best)ram stick

Check motherboard manual for the correct setup,witch RAM slots to use

You beat me to it.

2 sticks of ram running in dual channel will kerb them issues @o0Fighteredwin so get another 16gb stick of ram at the same speed etc and the problem will go away.
  • WyyyRexX
    6 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Ive got a i7 6700 non K and in the Screeninfo is shown that i have 8 threads . Thats right. You said i should use 7 of them and leave one spare but i changed in user.cfg to 7 but it still only uses 3. What to do??
  • Oskool_007
    557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You shouldn't need to change any in-game settings. Look at CPU usage using MSI Afterburner. Are all 8 threads being used? They should be with default game settings.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!