The Ultimate Battlefield 1 Graphics/Performance Guide 2018

124»

Comments

• JRMBelgiumTwitch
    754 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    Oskool_007 wrote: »
    You shouldn't need to change any in-game settings. Look at CPU usage using MSI Afterburner. Are all 8 threads being used? They should be with default game settings.

Actually, default setting only uses 4 threads. Reason why minimum requirement is 6600K. The reason why you still benefit from having a 6-8 core processor is simple. With only 4 cores and 4 threads, the game has to "share" the CPU power. But if you have more threads then the game requires, all background processes can be run on different physical/logical cores then the ones your game is running on.

I stream. I actually have my streaming software using 4 cores with 4 threads, and BF1 with 4 cores with 4 threads. I also make sure they don't share the same cores by using software called "Lasso". There is maybe 5fps difference while streaming on high quality settings. So there is no need to buy a second PC for streaming if you know how to optimize your settings.

And i'm not talking about low quality streaming. I'm talking about quality most streamers dream about:

With Lasso you can change the core affinity for a game. And I clearly see no fps drop when I limit the game to only 50% of my cores. ( I'm using Ryzen 2700x ).

This will confirm my claim:
    https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/battlefield-1-directx-12-benchmark,review-33864-8.html

• Oskool_007
    557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited November 2018
    It doesn't matter if the in-game ProcessorCount is set to 4 . BF1 will still use 8 threads. The Frostbite engine isn't optimized to use more than 8 threads. That's why 12 and 16 thread CPUs only show 50% utilization in BF1. Half their threads go unused.

I have yet to see anyone post performance gains by increasing BF1's processor count setting.

There's no need to mess with these settings

Thread.ProcessorCount
    Thread.MaxProcessorCount
    Thread.MinFreeProcessorCount
    Thread.JobThreadPriority

I don't recommend anyone use a i5-6600k in BF1 or BFV. I have this CPU and it absolutely chokes when large groups of enemies are around in 64 player servers. 4 thread CPU's are not enough for 64 player multiplayer. There will be FPS drops below 60fps and ugly frametimes.

8 thread CPU is recommended for 64 player multiplayer. Such as Intel i7. A 12 thread i7 CPU will get higher frame rates, not due to more threads, but due to having 2 more cores (6 cores).
    Post edited by Oskool_007 on
  • WyyyRexX
    6 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Im playing with i7 6700 GTX 1060 6GB and 16 Gb RAM. Im using 7 of 8 threads and still have problems with like under 50 fps in some situations? Help pls. Game runs on SSD. Btw will this Setup work on BF V?
  • JRMBelgiumTwitch
    754 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    WyyyRexX wrote: »
    Im playing with i7 6700 GTX 1060 6GB and 16 Gb RAM. Im using 7 of 8 threads and still have problems with like under 50 fps in some situations? Help pls. Game runs on SSD. Btw will this Setup work on BF V?

That is with lighting on low, post processing on low and ambient occlusion off?
  • WyyyRexX
    6 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    no i just had everything on Ultra like GeForce Experience told me .. it most of the time worked but just in big fights and explosions and all this stuff it went under 60 so like 50
  • JRMBelgiumTwitch
    no i just had everything on Ultra like GeForce Experience told me .. it most of the time worked but just in big fights and explosions and all this stuff it went under 60 so like 50

Just turn down those tree settings. FPS should go way above 70 in the same scenario's.
  • WyyyRexX
    edited December 2018
    and how would it perform in BF V .. well I have the game on Xbox one X but on PC too.. why not.. xD if it will run?

And the rest can stay on ultra ?
  • JRMBelgiumTwitch
    and how would it perform in BF V .. well I have the game on Xbox one X but on PC too.. why not.. xD if it will run?

And the rest can stay on ultra ?

Yeah, rest on Ultra. Your pc will run BFV just fine 👍
  • WyyyRexX
    OK thx for your Help. :)
  • WyyyRexX
    edited December 2018
    I still have the same problem. I did your changes but it still sometimes drops to 50 .. I was sniping so it dropped for like no reason..?
    Post edited by WyyyRexX on
  • BmB23
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Bumping in an ancient thread. It seems some of these comparisons are wrong because you need to reload the level to see the difference with some settings. Texture and Filtering settings interestingly only need to be reloaded to go down, but will go up readily. Terrain, Lighting, and Undergrowth all need a reload to show up. Post Processing, Anti Aliasing, Effects, Mesh and Ambient Occlusion all change instantly.
    • The difference with Undergrowth is massive on ultra, grass and flowers and all that render much further and there are many more of them. On medium they disappear faster, and on low they are all but gone.
    • Lighting (shadows) looks pretty crummy on medium and low with lots of shadow acne and low resolution. There doesn't seem to be much difference on ultra, but it might render some shadows further away.
    • Terrain changes the tessellation level of the ground up close, I find it difficult to see the difference between medium and ultra personally. It's only noticeably different on low.
    • Effects does change how big explosions appear. Not much difference between medium and high, but big ones on low and ultra.
    • Post processing only seems to change DoF and SSR between medium to high.
    • SSAO seems to be very fast compared to HBAO, but has bad artifacts on Sinai Desert.
  • BigF33t_13
    6723 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Bumping old threads are a no no
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13461 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    @BmB23

Please do not Necro threads.

Doing so can result in an infraction which can restrict your ability to use the forum.
This discussion has been closed.