Not sucking.

USAF77
86 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
I find that no matter what I do I suck." Boy if you get killed by me you should go hide in the dog kennel and whimper". Ive tried to quit sucking but most guys who play this game are really good and its hard to get out of that "sucking" stage. So I Medic, or fix stuff, lay down bases of fire "and normally get whacked by snipers", or I MG on tanks or rear guns of planes just trying to help my team.

I'm no kid so its hard to play for long and I have a little trouble seeing the screen well. Does anyone have any advice on how not to suck so much? Thanks.

Comments

• research-kitchen
    273 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm no spring chicken but I can hold my own against most of these kids. There is many things that can help you i'll try to make this brief. First off slow your mouse speed down that helped me a lot when everyone is dancing the left right routine, i could stay on target easier. 2 use the guns with the highest knock down power or the guns that has the highest fire rate, i usually go with fire rate. 3 try to stay with the group or squads and I always try to stay close to some place with cover, and check every corner when going in a building. Also slow down if your dying a lot, maybe not as much run and gun

Keep your eye on the min map and get some reading glasses I had to LOL.
    Best guns imop hellreigal,automatico,bar, federov and smg08/18 or something like that.
  • USAF77
    Good info. Thank you.
  • 68Keif
    4572 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    USAF77 wrote: »
    I find that no matter what I do I suck." Boy if you get killed by me you should go hide in the dog kennel and whimper". Ive tried to quit sucking but most guys who play this game are really good and its hard to get out of that "sucking" stage. So I Medic, or fix stuff, lay down bases of fire "and normally get whacked by snipers", or I MG on tanks or rear guns of planes just trying to help my team.

I'm no kid so its hard to play for long and I have a little trouble seeing the screen well. Does anyone have any advice on how not to suck so much? Thanks.
    Same here. I just don’t care anymore. Lol
  • Faylum
    78 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Battlefield has always been about paranoia. The more paranoid you act the better you play. So when i hear a bullet fly by i know its direction, i don't ignore that fact even when i am shooting forward. I am aware of the gaps in cover and i do my best to maintain my cover even when i am not facing that person. The same goes for fighting a tank, i see him, i do not doubt whether he has seen me, i presume he has and attempt an ambush or wait for some time out of view so i know i am no longer spotted and then i change location. Only VERY bad players ignore all these things and just assume that if they got lets say one shot off on a target, be it infantry or a tank that they can continually get shots from the same places without moving. Also laying prone for either a sniper or a support is the mark of a bad player. Going prone presents your head on a plate. And as a sniper it just isnt needed, same as support. You can control your sprays you dont need to put yourself at a disadvantage.
    I belong to the top .001% on the KD ratio not because i camp at the back, i rarely do that. But because i value every life. And i aim to play for a flawless game. So if i see people all bunching up in a house beside a tank i'll go across the road, if on the minimap i see everyone dying in one area i wont just storm in and add to the graveyard, i'll work my way around. Battlefield doesn't work in a linear way, you cannot tell yourself to focus on just one route. You need to take into account everything available on that map and where ever you are provide yourself with cover and manoeuvrability.

Bad players die excessive amounts of time for a score.
    Good players die to remove dangerous opponents such as tanks and planes. (They dont get much praise or xp but they know they done the right thing)
    Great players will be formidable, they will do everything from lay down cover, pick up kits to revive people, hunt down dangerous obstacles and play multiple roles. (They get accused of all sorts of things and abused)

Anyone that tells you PTFO is about storming into a base, throwing a nade and dying is an idiot. Battlefield has always been about calculation, manipulation, paranoia and use of terrain. My advice is to slow down your game play, value each life, work your way in slowly, don't follow the crowd and pick brutal close - mid range weapons. Again even if your entire game is spent holding down an irrelevant route into a base, being a nuisance you will quickly start to understand the game. If you just keep following the herd and jumping into the mosh pits you will learn nothing and make no progress. Play cautious and over time you'll pick up more good traits, you'll rely more on your radar for information and rely on yourself to kill and harass.

Rare that i finish bottom of a table, normally always mvp or close to it. I get that way from not doing the predictable and from not underestimating the stupidity of my opponent despite how foolish they may be.
  • DzLTchR24
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Faylum wrote: »

Battlefield has always been about paranoia. The more paranoid you act the better you play. So when i hear a bullet fly by i know its direction, i don't ignore that fact even when i am shooting forward. I am aware of the gaps in cover and i do my best to maintain my cover even when i am not facing that person. The same goes for fighting a tank, i see him, i do not doubt whether he has seen me, i presume he has and attempt an ambush or wait for some time out of view so i know i am no longer spotted and then i change location. Only VERY bad players ignore all these things and just assume that if they got lets say one shot off on a target, be it infantry or a tank that they can continually get shots from the same places without moving. Also laying prone for either a sniper or a support is the mark of a bad player. Going prone presents your head on a plate. And as a sniper it just isnt needed, same as support. You can control your sprays you dont need to put yourself at a disadvantage.
    I belong to the top .001% on the KD ratio not because i camp at the back, i rarely do that. But because i value every life. And i aim to play for a flawless game. So if i see people all bunching up in a house beside a tank i'll go across the road, if on the minimap i see everyone dying in one area i wont just storm in and add to the graveyard, i'll work my way around. Battlefield doesn't work in a linear way, you cannot tell yourself to focus on just one route. You need to take into account everything available on that map and where ever you are provide yourself with cover and manoeuvrability.

Bad players die excessive amounts of time for a score.
    Good players die to remove dangerous opponents such as tanks and planes. (They dont get much praise or xp but they know they done the right thing)
    Great players will be formidable, they will do everything from lay down cover, pick up kits to revive people, hunt down dangerous obstacles and play multiple roles. (They get accused of all sorts of things and abused)

Anyone that tells you PTFO is about storming into a base, throwing a nade and dying is an idiot. Battlefield has always been about calculation, manipulation, paranoia and use of terrain. My advice is to slow down your game play, value each life, work your way in slowly, don't follow the crowd and pick brutal close - mid range weapons. Again even if your entire game is spent holding down an irrelevant route into a base, being a nuisance you will quickly start to understand the game. If you just keep following the herd and jumping into the mosh pits you will learn nothing and make no progress. Play cautious and over time you'll pick up more good traits, you'll rely more on your radar for information and rely on yourself to kill and harass.

Rare that i finish bottom of a table, normally always mvp or close to it. I get that way from not doing the predictable and from not underestimating the stupidity of my opponent despite how foolish they may be.

this is a fantastic post and could be applied to more than just Battlefield, everything he says is very valuable imo. Down to the small fact that going prone is very VERY situational, move to cover, and circle with awsd on the spot unless you want to be a quick headshot to the guy that posted the above information lol

Thanks for taking the time to write that out.

Slowing the mouse speed to 400dpi will help your aim also, get used to moving --> stop --> Shoot --> move again. basically let yourself get set to get a good shot, you will get faster at it over time but just ADS spamming while moving at any distance is going to end poorly at this point in time for you. With this point, if you are an open field 1v1, move side to side perpendicular as much as possible, square your target and then move to one side or other, shoot and move back and shoot. The point is that you are dodging with the most possible distance to make him move his sites farther and adjust farther. If you move forward/back or on an angle, your character isnt any harder to hit as you are not moving much horizontally and the bullet drop will not matter (unless you are running on a hill).

Go out into a practice mode and work on firing at different distances with guns, it wont take long to get the timing down to wear you can shoot as fast as possible with minimal recoil. You need the muscle memory of it though so practice.

look at your minimap all the F time, like your mirrors on a drivers licence test.

Shop around until you find a squad who actually communicates with microphones, its amazing how easily "top right window red apartment" can save your life and get you a kill.

make sure your FPS is good like 60+, if you wanna be hardcore get a 144FPS monitor and upgrade your pc

GLHF

• IG-Calibre
    943 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    it's all about the mini map, yes it takes a bit of tweaking to get it the way you want, but, it really does help.

SRLPBpR.png
  • Loqtrall
    11159 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    P-p-p-p-practice
  • Teh_Next
    1859 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

P-p-p-p-p pick up a Penguin!
  • Loqtrall
    11159 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Teh_Next wrote: »

P-p-p-p-p pick up a Penguin!

P-p-p-p-speech therapy
  • USAF77
    IG-Calibre wrote: »
    it's all about the mini map, yes it takes a bit of tweaking to get it the way you want, but, it really does help.

SRLPBpR.png

How do you get the mini map over to the right like that?

For me the "good players" are those that spot a lot for others and do their time as medic and repair, "tho one has to medic smart". This is why I like to tank and rear gun in planes a lot because it gives me a lot of chances to hit that spot button for my team mates to get a clearer picture of the BF.

I also try and dump ammo in smart and safe places instead of flinging them all over.

Good thread.
  • Teh_Next
    1859 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

SRLPBpR.png

For me the "good players" are those that spot a lot for others and do their time as medic and repair, "tho one has to medic smart". This is why I like to tank and rear gun in planes a lot because it gives me a lot of chances to hit that spot button for my team mates to get a clearer picture of the BF.

I also try and dump ammo in smart and safe places instead of flinging them all over.

Good thread.

For me it begins by knowing your right from your left. :p
  • Faylum

SRLPBpR.png

Good thread.

I agree spotting is perhaps THEE most important team play ability. However the only issue is that when ever you mark something to kill it, because you marked it someone else sees it and kills it. But it gets frustrating when you consistently get killed by unmarked players because no one else marks. I literally press Q so much even during fire fights that i cannot stop doing it in other fps games.
  • the_naked_ape
    251 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Teh_Next wrote: »
    For me it begins by knowing your right from your left. :p
    It's to the right of the default position!

With regard to the OP: Learn the maps!

Even the more open maps like Sinai and St. Quentin Scar have have hotspots and paths that are commonly taken and camped. If you learn the most common spots, you'll avoid needlessly dying all the time and will be able to get a few cheap kills per round. On maps like Achi Baba, the routes are pretty much laid out for you, especially around the A, C and E flags.

As a medic, you shouldn't be first through the chokepoints - you don't have the firepower for that (even with the Avtomat). You'll get more kills mopping up wounded assaults and other troops, and more points throwing medpacks (don't use the crate - it's asking for trouble and doesn't get you as many points) and reviving downed troops.
  • Bravo-Winter
    155 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    "I have a little trouble seeing the screen" well that could certainly be an issue with an FPS. If you havent already, I would siggest lowering some graphics settings such as shadows details which may help you see people better.

All in all though, if you are being a team player, reviving, healing, repairing, capping flags - then you dont suck imo, you're still a valuable asset.
  • USAF77

SRLPBpR.png

Good thread.

I agree spotting is perhaps THEE most important team play ability. However the only issue is that when ever you mark something to kill it, because you marked it someone else sees it and kills it. But it gets frustrating when you consistently get killed by unmarked players because no one else marks. I literally press Q so much even during fire fights that i cannot stop doing it in other fps games.

Well thats why tail gunning in a plane of MG'ing in a tank is so good for it. In a plane as your going over the BF, unless your plane is engaged from the rear, you press the hell out of Q over the places where the action is. In a Tank you also get a lot of chances to spot just pressing Q a lot even tho you dont see anyone. Youd be surprised at the snipers you illuminate by spotting the high ground, even when they are out of realistic MG range.

The heavy guns on the tanks also need time to reload, time you can use by spotting. Ive also found the shotgun shell in a tank gun to be very effective, even more so then MGs, most of all against infantry and most of all in trench maps.

So even tho I suck I do try and find little ways to contribute. I probably should join a squad since I'm team orientated.
  • USAF77
    "I have a little trouble seeing the screen" well that could certainly be an issue with an FPS. If you havent already, I would siggest lowering some graphics settings such as shadows details which may help you see people better.

All in all though, if you are being a team player, reviving, healing, repairing, capping flags - then you dont suck imo, you're still a valuable asset.

Thanks I'll try lowering shadows. Its just old age eyes is all.
  • Faylum

SRLPBpR.png

Good thread.

Well thats why tail gunning in a plane of MG'ing in a tank is so good for it. In a plane as your going over the BF, unless your plane is engaged from the rear, you press the hell out of Q over the places where the action is. In a Tank you also get a lot of chances to spot just pressing Q a lot even tho you dont see anyone. Youd be surprised at the snipers you illuminate by spotting the high ground, even when they are out of realistic MG range.

The heavy guns on the tanks also need time to reload, time you can use by spotting. Ive also found the shotgun shell in a tank gun to be very effective, even more so then MGs, most of all against infantry and most of all in trench maps.

So even tho I suck I do try and find little ways to contribute. I probably should join a squad since I'm team orientated.

I'm a monster in any kind of vehicle description, anything that could be spotted is spotted long before my crew can assist. My only problem has always been not having enough shells to clear the things i see fast enough xD
  • IG-Calibre
    943 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

How do you get the mini map over to the right like that?.
    open the PROFSAVE_profile from Bf1 in my docs with notepad++ and edit GstRender.ScreenSafeAreaHeight / Width to -

GstRender.ScreenSafeAreaHeight 0.990000
    GstRender.ScreenSafeAreaWidth 0.600000

• MemesterChief
    81 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited May 21
    Also laying prone for either a sniper or a support is the mark of a bad player. Going prone presents your head on a plate. And as a sniper it just isnt needed, same as support. You can control your sprays you dont need to put yourself at a disadvantage.

Completely disagree. Battlefield 1 is the first battlefield game where the graphical fidelity enables you to lay prone and reliably be 'visually' concealed. Players in motion will not see you at a reasonable range and depending on how good you are at positioning like going prone in debris or by a tree to further conceal yourself you'll quickly find that translates to usually not being able to be seen at practically any range by others until of course you open fire. This is irrelevant for snipers, as their scope glint renders any tactical cover useless. Supports, however, lack this glint on their scopes AND have a bipod that further enhances their performance. Use weapons like the mg15 or the m1917 as they drastically benefit from the use of a bipod. I main Support, and while I often use cover/window ledges/ etc as it's much better than going prone for limiting your exposed angles, I'll still prone at the tips of craters or in debris when the situation calls for it and be just as inconspicuous. You'll get plenty of kills this way, and as you improve your positioning and understanding of concealment you'll not only improve your k/d, but also your kills per minute. Forget locking down lanes, you can lock down entire fields with something like the m917 telescopic, with your only counter being snipers who again, have the scope glint.

Yes going prone for combat purposes is terrible. But its use for concealment is highly underestimated and will continue to be so until more and more people begin to realize just how much we rely on motion to identify our targets--and plan accordingly. Granted, this applies to game modes like Operations with clear battle lines and direction. Not much point in staying still for long in Conquest with everyone circling the map avoiding conflict--but that's for another day.

I would also like to add that limiting your angles of attack is the single best thing you can do to improve your k/d. If at all possible, only expose yourself to the angle you are actively looking at. If this isn't possible, try to only expose yourself to a flank you can reliably ascertain is safe (allies in the area, no known enemy spawn point there, etc). In this way, you guarantee that anyone who can shoot at you you can also fire upon without having to turn. Combine this method with a concealed, bipoded LMG and you have such a drastic advantage over any opponent you see you'll almost always win the fight.

Lastly, make sure any enemy you fire upon can be realiably killed before they enter cover. There's no point to revealing your position for a hit maker just as the enemy turns the corner out of sight. Now they both know you're there, and that you see them. Limiting your enemy's information on you is key. You don't have to be the best shot, you just have to make sure to position yourself for success so you don't have to depend on reflex and precision in an instant.
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    292 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I thought this post was about my ex girlfriend.