Five Underpowered Weapons since TTK 2.0 - DICE plz look at these

Caustic
13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
At this stage of the game its understandable that the overpowered weapons (by either minority or majority opinion) get the most attention on the forums because they make the players on the receiving end annoyed at being "too easily" killed again and again. However, there were definitely some losers from the last TTK patch and a few of them lost so much they are underused and competitively unviable compared to other options. Basically, there are few complaints about UP weapons because people just avoid them... but I want to bring these issues to light.

DISCLAIMER: This is my opinion based on a mixture of gut-feel, experience and researched knowledge. Normally I'd favour detailed stats, but since this topic is so rarely covered I've passed on them for TLDR reasons. Take this as you will.

In no particular order:

1. The Parabellum 1914/18:

Wow the dropoff for this weapon in usage has been massive. Support isn't a popular class to begin with, and since they jacked up the bipod recoil, aim down sight time and hip fire for LMGs this gun has become nearly uncontrollable at all but the shortest ranges. Having used this weapon before and after the TTK patch, I tossed it aside almost immediately for these reasons. The LMG 08/18 fills this guns role better and seems to have pushed it out almost completely over a few short months. I'd look at toning down the bipod nerf for this gun specifically to give it at least some viability at mid-range.

2. The Maschinepistole Storm:

The recoil nerf for SMGs in the TTK patch to reduce their effectiveness at longer ranges was perfectly understandable for balance, but how its is been applied to the Maschinepistole is nothing short of barbaric considering that its nominally a Storm variant. Prior to the TTK patch there was some talk of this gun being too good, like a "better Automatico" mainly for PC but the clumsy reload time ultimately regulated this into the "worse Automatico" category once players had fully explored the weapon. Considering how difficult it was to use before TTK, jacking up the recoil has robbed the weapon of its advantages and left only disadvantages. Why would I even consider using this when I can pick the faster loading Automatico/Thompson or godly SMG 08/18? My solution would be to reverse the recoil nerf for this weapon specifically since it used to be pretty high to begin with. This would allow the gun to be more accurate then any of the above mentioned weapons at the cost of low ammo capacity and very high reload times.

3. The Selbstlader 1906:

The RSC 1917 has more bullets, faster reload for mid-clip, kills in less bullets and NOW thanks to the TTK patch has a faster TTK then this gun. Once the General Liu Rifle gets the alternate fire mode, its only going to hammer further nails into the coffin of the Level 10 Medic SAR. This weapon has never been easy to use, but now that the reward for picking this skill cannon is diminished in favour of a better option why bother? Perhaps this specific rifle needs a further accuracy boost, or maybe the RSC needs a tone down. Either way its not a proud age for this gun.

4. The Carcano Rifle, specifically the patrol variant:

This rifle is straight pull, and yet once you put a scope on it the ability to chamber a round while aiming down sight disappears? What? The disadvantages this weapon has such as not being able to score 1 hit headshots at longer ranges and a 2 hit kill are suffered purely because of this one advantage and once you take it away the reasons for using it disappear. This "issue" should be fixed ASAP, or at the very least 1 shot kill headshot range should be increased to at least make this rifle viable. At the moment, I can't see any reason for me to continue to use this weapon. Especially since it senselessly gets scope glint despite the lack of sweet spot.

5. The RSC SMG:

I think the irony about this weapon is that it wasn't properly implemented to begin with and was poorly received by the community. Months after Apocalypse the gun is still vastly inferior to many options in the Assault class and doesn't have many statistical advantages to make it appealing to use. Realistically an SMG like this with a very low ammo capacity should have very low recoil at both long and short ranges to reward skilled players who choose to pick it.

What do you think?

Comments

• Gforce81
    3245 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'd agree on 4/5 choices, with the exception of the Parabellum. It's the automatico of the Support class, and I've been shredded by it up close far too many times. Even with more recoil, its the weapon of choice if you want the absolute most CQB leaning weapon in the Support loadout. Its not a popular niche anymore, but its there if you decide you want extreme CQB power. Fort De Vaux/Prise Tahure/ etc

Everything else I can get behind. The Patrol Carcano is a joke. After 16+ stars with the regular version, I was amazed that they removed the straight pull function from the Patrol variant. Marksman G.95 and Ross both get straight pull with a scope, Ross even keeps sweetspot, but its too much for straight pull on a scoped Carcano? Nonsense.

The P.16 Storm is sad. Was great, now its a joke. But I'm not as worried about this one with the addition of the Experimental version which is quickly becoming my all time favorite BF1 SMG. And I am NOT an SMG guy at all, usually can't stand em.

RSC SMG is the Kolibri of the primaries. Even if they were to buff it petty heavy handedly, I struggle to see a place for it that doesn't already exist. P.16 Exp is better both at range and CQB, and is probably the closest comparison; but even then it's miles ahead of the RSC. Feels like one of those weapons they added just so they could say they didn't leave Assault out of the update.
  • poegle87
    126 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I agree with most of that other than the parabellum as I still encounter it a lot.

I tend to use those kinds of guns like the RSC SMG and General Liu but often feel why do I bother when I constantly get shred by the SMG08. The gun I use mainly as assault is the M1917 Trench Carbine which I have felt for a long time it's either a beast or totally useless. It just seems it's off at times but could easily just be me being bad at the time or latency on either end, hard to say for sure.

• Halcyon_Creed_N7
    822 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The 1895 Russian Trench is useless garbage now. It was always difficult to use, but now with TTK2.0 it's damn near impossible, also, the auto-rotation nerf didn't do it any favors.

I haven't seen anyone use this rifle in months.
  • UraniumReaper
    405 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The 1895 Russian Trench is useless garbage now. It was always difficult to use, but now with TTK2.0 it's damn near impossible, also, the auto-rotation nerf didn't do it any favors.

The Russian trench is trash? Why?
  • ProAssassin2003
    1825 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    After May 23rd DICE is done with Battlefield 1.
  • VindictiVagabond
    913 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

They are ALREADY done. They'v been for a while now...
  • wiazabi
    312 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    1. Parabellum has the lowest TTK of all lmgs and only 2 assault weapons are lower and just barely P16 and smg 08, if it was not for that recoil it would be op and it sorta still can be IF shots land and you handle the recoil.

2. I miss the original Maschinepistole Storm it was fun with its 1200 rpm now i dont even bother to use it or the experimental version.

3. Agree the RSC 1917 took over for the unforgiving high reward medic weapon.

4. Carcano is just overall bad, agree with suggestion though.

5. I really like RSC smg, reason being that several assault weapons just dont seem to have any real downside to em smg 08, automatico, hellriegel or their so called downsides are being faar outweighed by their advantages but with RSC smg i have this automatico with a real downside so it just feels much more rewarding to do good with.

A weapon i would like to see buffed though is Cei-Rigotti as it has the worst reload in the entire game, it simply takes forever to reload and unlike most weapons it has no "checkpoint" in reloading so if you havent fully reloaded a strip the bullets are gone if you switch to syringe or whatever, it just need a QOL buff to its reload and i would happily use it again.
  • R_SnarlyTrain
    9 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I agree
  • CS-2107
    1384 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I agree with the Maschinenpistole, the RSC SMG and the Carcano. The other two weapons are great.
    When it comes to the RSC SMG and the Carcano, these two always felt a bit weak.
  • Goofy-The-Sc0t
    1124 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Yeah, they were done after TSNP
  • ElliotLH
    3589 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    A weapon i would like to see buffed though is Cei-Rigotti as it has the worst reload in the entire game, it simply takes forever to reload and unlike most weapons it has no "checkpoint" in reloading so if you havent fully reloaded a strip the bullets are gone if you switch to syringe or whatever, it just need a QOL buff to its reload and i would happily use it again.

I'd really like that. Currently I'll try to only reload at 5 or zero bullets left, as then it's a stripper clip, but that's easier said than done in the heat of the moment though.
  • aseveredfoot
    2287 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I would say the Parabellum still has its place and time. Amiens, Vaux, Verdun, Prise...trick for me was just to set it to 1.00x zoom and go 4-8 round bursts mostly

I tend to agree with the rest though. Especially the RSC SMG. I personally like it but it's just not all that utility. It shares a muzzle speed with the M1907 SL and fires full power rifle cartridges but has horrific accuracy so there's no range with it. And then there's the 8+1 mag, so it's not all that utility for cqb either.

The original maschinenpistole was fine and fun to me. Now I'd just use an automatico cause the pistole's 4hk in 12m is barely an advantage considering the 16 round mag with stripper clip reload.
  • bran1986
    4077 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The Mondragon rifle should be on that list.
  • Jayremie570
    1299 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I have to disagree. The auto rotation nerf was the best thing they've changed. I've had mine off for over a year and notice less b s deaths TO L2 R2.

The game should not aim for you in a multiplayer game. It's a silly concept. The fact it exists still is beyond me.
  • MegaloDorian
    896 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

The Russian trench is trash? Why?

It was actually a great, severely underrated choice in the Scout class prior to TTK 2.0. However, literally being the Scout's version of the Medic's RSC 1917, it didn't get equal love from DICE. The RSC 1917 got its two-hit kill range buffed up to 70 meters, increased accuracy, and a 10% increase in rate of fire. Meanwhile, the Russian 1895 Trench only got the first buff (two-hit kill range of 70 meters). It should also have had its rate of fire bumped up to 138 rounds per minute, the ADS strafing spread should have been reduced down to 0.5 degrees (like Carbine variants get), and its cycling animation should be sped up to recenter just prior to the next shot being ready to fire.
  • I-Soldat-I
    1481 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

We may get one more update in June then that's it