The gameplay mechanics thread

Alphazetamu
692 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
So, with a lot of threads already talking about *ahem* the trailer and so on, many of us would like to know more about gameplay mechanics. So how about we make this thread about what we learn over time concerning real gameplay only. If you see some news from a reliable source, please post it here, with links if possible. Please keep it strictly about gameplay.

So, we now basically know a few things that are interesting, found from https://www.vg247.com/2018/05/23/battlefield-5-preview-everything-you-need-to-know/

1. The rumours about assault/medic being merged are most likely false, as shown by the screenshots of menus in the reveal event.
2. This is a big one: everyone will be able to revive teammates, with various amounts of health. Medics will still be best at this, and can heal as well. I think the squadmate revival system is a great idea, and it will really free up class dynamics, as well as put more emphasis on squad teamplay. Right now in BF1, medics had a disproportionate effect on game balance, especially in modes like operations with ticket bleed. If everyone can revive teammates, then squadplay is going to be more central to the game. I actually think if players actually take advantage of this, then you will see fewer ``I hate class XYZ cuz they useless'' threads because everyone will be able to stick close and help each other out. I think this will definitely help scouts the most, who had the least squad interaction in bf1. It also means squads are not just a score multiplier and mobile spawn point, but something you should stick close to in case you get killed.
3. Fortifications. Apparently you can rebuild things, or change the terrain. This sounds a lot like what Fortnite has. I'm waiting to see how this plays out, as it could easily become OP or be completely useless.
4. Point-based rewards system. This was mentioned by Lars Gustafson in the AngryJoe interview. It's still not clear how exactly it works, but it sounds like once you (or your squad?) has got enough points you can call in some heavy artillery or spend your points somehow. We don't know if that affects vehicles as well. Is it going to be like SWBF2 and their vehicles? Does it mean the old ``race'' to get the tank at the beginning of the round is gone? But does it also mean it's possible for there to be as many tanks as there are squads? There's still a lot to learn.
5. Big calibre guns shoot through walls. Does this mean support is going to have a huge advantage over other classes? I'm curious to find out more.
6. Reducing the reliance of spotting doritos. So this sounds like a good one, because bf1 felt often like scanning the horizon for red dots and letting the aim assist do the rest of the work. It basically only requires the neural circuitry of a mollusc to operate, so I'm sure I could have trained my pet lobster to play. This is also going to make actually using your eyes more useful, and camouflage will be more important. That's good in my books.
7. Shockwaves from explosions. This one I'm worried about. Apparently explosions can knock you off your feet. Explosives are already powerful in bf1, so does this mean that you might end up in a perpetual loop of falling over if there's grenade/mortar/bombs/tanks spam? Does it then mean that whoever lays out the most explosives basically wins? I guess its realistic, but I'm worried that it will frustrate people a lot.

Right now, I couldn't find anything much on other topics, like what the sniper gameplay will be like, what will the medics have as guns, and so on. So please let me know what else you find. Cheers.

Comments

• Tullzter
    1271 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    3. i seriously hope that this doesn't become another fortnite where people build ridiculous fortifications
    7. Can you imagine this mechanic in Fort de vaux? you'd never be able to get up and would die of shell shock lol
  • solid_jordan
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The only good part about all these new mechanics imo is that there will be less grenade spam. Also I like that they kept the 4 classes of BF1. And from the looks of it, it seems that they will have the same weapons too. Although I've seen that the scout will be able to specialize in a role that gives him a suppressed SMG and silent footsteps.

As for the rest, well I've already expressed my concerns in other threads.
  • Alphazetamu
    692 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited May 2018
    Tullzter wrote: »
    3. i seriously hope that this doesn't become another fortnite where people build ridiculous fortifications
    7. Can you imagine this mechanic in Fort de vaux? you'd never be able to get up and would die of shell shock lol

I don't mind the idea of being able to put sandbags down, or for a support to set up a machine gun nest. But I agree that I don't want to see super high towers that give vantage points over the entire map.

Also, I was super happy about the health regen system being reduced. It's definitely going to slow down the running&gunning crowd who are overly reliant on big mag smgs, and it's also going to provide a real benefit to actually doing damage to an opponent even if you don't always get the kill.
  • Hawxxeye
    7746 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2018
    6. Reducing the reliance of spotting doritos. So this sounds like a good one, because bf1 felt often like scanning the horizon for red dots and letting the aim assist do the rest of the work. It basically only requires the neural circuitry of a mollusc to operate, so I'm sure I could have trained my pet lobster to play. This is also going to make actually using your eyes more useful, and camouflage will be more important. That's good in my books.
    In spite of that I am willing to bet that the snipers will still glow like high power tactical flashlights. Because screw the class that needs to be hard to find before it starts shooting.
    If that is the case I hope that there will be a choice of a non bolt action weapon as well.

Post edited by Hawxxeye on
  • Alphazetamu
    edited May 2018
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    In spite of that I am willing to bet that the snipers will still glow like high power tactical flashlights.
    If that is the case I hope that there will be a choice of a non bolt action weapon as well.

I'm also terribly afraid that they will ruin sniping with the current scope glint system from BF1. However, it seems the general trend is that they want to move away from arcade-style assistance, with the new spotting system, ammo, health regen, and so on. Hopefully they follow that to its logical conclusion, and remove scope glints, which is just another unrealistic anti-scout crutch mechanic.

At least I'm glad that scouts can now help their immediate squad mates by reviving. That should help reduce the hatred, and will allow the close range scout gameplay I like.
    I think one good change that will punish hillhumpers is the new health regen system, because they'll have a hard time to get back to full health if they get hit and will have to leave their spot.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the slightly more hardcore style, with interaction in squads being the best way to succeed.