Option to turn off visual character cutomization

AiRJacobs
60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
I like pretty much every feature of the game so far, but the character visual customizations are distracting and immersion breaking. It would benefit the players that want immersion to include an option in the game that disables visual character customization so that the soldiers of each team are wearing proper uniforms and aren't running around in blue face paint with fake arms. Same for vehicles.

If one argument in favor of including visual character customization is that it doesn't affect gameplay, then I can use that same argument to justify disabling it. Removing it won't affect gameplay either, but rather improve immersion and realism.

Comments

• Alphazetamu
    692 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Interesting idea, could be workable.

One question I wonder is will it become very hard to tell if a character is a friend or foe, if they are sporting mohawks and have weird jackets, or is there a minimum amount of stuff that keeps sides distinguishable?
  • BAL3RION151
    52 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Not opposed to this idea honestly. However, why it probably won't happen is that it can devalue the monetization from purchasing skins, which I imagine is going to be the majority of how DICE intends to profit from microtransactions.
  • AiRJacobs
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

One question I wonder is will it become very hard to tell if a character is a friend or foe, if they are sporting mohawks and have weird jackets, or is there a minimum amount of stuff that keeps sides distinguishable?

Exactly. The visual customization could actually work against the players. However, an option to disable it should work best for now. That way the players that want weird customizations can have them and players that want realism/immersion can have that too.
  • Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

In the trailer teammates had blue emblems above their heads.
  • Nine2Five
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    No I want you to see me running around as a German Santa with 2 hooks on my arm!
  • Alphazetamu
    692 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »

Ok. Just wondering if we won't have the red doritos on the enemies then? That would help with making the camouflage and tactics more relevant.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11592 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    As a support main, I just want this customization:
    sygp14et8xx01.jpg

@crabman169
  • WetFishDB
    2329 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    AiRJacobs wrote: »
    I like pretty much every feature of the game so far, but the character visual customizations are distracting and immersion breaking. It would benefit the players that want immersion to include an option in the game that disables visual character customization so that the soldiers of each team are wearing proper uniforms and aren't running around in blue face paint with fake arms. Same for vehicles.

If one argument in favor of including visual character customization is that it doesn't affect gameplay, then I can use that same argument to justify disabling it. Removing it won't affect gameplay either, but rather improve immersion and realism.

Whilst I am all for the customisations, I'm also all for the ability for people to turn that stuff off if they want.
  • WetFishDB
    2329 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »

Ok. Just wondering if we won't have the red doritos on the enemies then? That would help with making the camouflage and tactics more relevant.

They've said no red doritos or 3D spotting I believe. The spotting system has changed, but we don't really know how yet - nor do we know the extent of customisation impact on it all. My only hope is that despite the visual changes it remains easy to determine who is on your team vs the enemy team.
  • Noodlesocks
    3628 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Definitely needs to be an option for those who want a more authentic visual experience.
  • crabman169
    12848 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TEKNOCODE wrote: »
    As a support main, I just want this customization:
    sygp14et8xx01.jpg

@crabman169

Our lord and saviour
    I'm saving up for that. 6500/40.5k renown lol

"Time to get serious!"

Op. In the trailer the "squad you follow" showcases the customsation we can expect from faces to war paint. Now every Single other solider is wearing regular kit including the Germans. There is variation in that to also seperate the classes. Enemies did have class icons above there head but I can be easily missed. Both factions were quite easily to tell a part.

I don't believe dice will have said option. It devalues the customsation they've worked on (the first battlefield to have such a thing since Vietnam) and it's fairly obvious that will be a form of MTX.

If weapons aren't faction locked then that also throws out the disable cosmetics option.

@TEKNOCODE could you post that img I posted in the discord if I don't get around to it first?
  • Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Crabby is here to help me.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11592 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @crabman169 Which image? We are in about tree fitty discords, mate.
  • edwardsavenue
    331 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Y’all just had to have free dlc...
  • edwardsavenue
    331 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Tried to tell y’all
  • crabman169
    12848 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

In drum's server; the screencap of the BFV trailer
  • TEKNOCODE
    crabman169 wrote: »

In drum's server; the screencap of the BFV trailer

Oh, you can get it now. :trollface: