Poll: Option To Disable Character Cosmetics?

AiRJacobs
60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
edited May 2018
>>Straw Poll<<
Should there be an option in Battlefield V to disable character cosmetics from the user's end, for the sake of immersion?

Poll Options:

Vote "Yes": Simply put, it would be a client-side option somewhere in the gameplay section of the Options menu to disable multiplayer cosmetic customizations. All player models will be reverted to a default design that would reflect the most historically accurate uniform designs for the factions and classes. This would not only increase immersion, but give players more freedom of choice over their gameplay experiences AND theoretically improve netcode due to a lesser load of items that need to be constantly monitored by your system and the servers.

Vote "No": Keep it the way it is.

Edit: Here is an excellent suggestion from JZRJDC: "I think this option could be improved by designating certain cosmetics as "Historical" and "Non-Historical", so if someone puts kratos facepaint on, it would be"Non-Historical", but if someone wrote something on their knife handle, its "Historical" and would not be blocked by the filter. Also, certain circumstances could change it from Historical to Non-Historical and back, such as a female soldier, which would be non-historical in most cases but historical if the player playing as her also picks a resistance uniform."
Post edited by AiRJacobs on

Comments

• HardAimedKid
    11386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    You're spetchul.
  • ESCOBAR1875
    87 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    100% this option has to be in.. although i seriously doubt it,people aint gonna buy parrots trumpets and sparkly facepaint only for them to see lol
  • ladderley
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes please.
  • PolarChihuahua
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2018
    I think this problem will solve itself as players figure out it might not be the best idea to run around with a 2ft red mohawk. But still, I'd like that option so aye!

Also, if the gameplay mechanics are good (i.e. as advertized), I don't care much about how the characters look. I worry more about the things that won't change (bugs, glitches, lag, hackers, "The Server Situation" than about the things that will.
  • rliant1864
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Unlikely, but love it if they did.
  • mf192
    83 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Absolutely, yes.
  • ladderley
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    100% this option has to be in.. although i seriously doubt it,people aint gonna buy parrots trumpets and sparkly facepaint only for them to see lol

On the other hand, people who would use this option aren't going to be a source of profit for cosmetics anyway. I do hope it will be an option for folk who want a more visually authentic WW2 game.

If EA are anxious about profits they could slap a few bucks on a filter lol, It'd be one of the few microtransactions I'd ever buy, there are only so many purple haired kratos clowns I can take in an 'authentic' WW2 game haha.
  • VonReisler
    572 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2018
    The type of soldier customization that I saw in the trailer is not what I would have hoped for and appeared to work against immersion in the period the game is set in intentionally. I also recall Lars saying that they don't want everyone to look the same and it is a means whereby players can express their individuality.
    This seems like yet another example of contemporary socio- political agendas and values being injected into a BF period that was 80 years ago.
    I would guess that an RSP server option to turn off soldier customization would be the only way to get around it.
  • MAGNUSDUCTOR
    266 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2018
    I think the devs will listen if enough people talk about this. I remember in the early days when South African players wanted a server, we got it after talking A lot about it on the forums and Jackfrags assisting us by making his youtube video. We brought the issue to the devs' attention and then the devs allowed South Africa to have servers.

Same can happen with BF5 if enough people keep bumping this idea in the forum and let famous youtubers talk about this idea.
  • olavafar
    2261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I like the initiative but:

1) One cannot really be against an option unless we get to know what is NOT implemented to implement that option.
    What does it mean to vote YES? Less tested net code? No fix of other minor or major bugs found during late development? We can of course ignore that problem but someone at DICE must do that choice.

2) If a majority is against the customization I suppose it will not be a problem because the majority of soldiers will not be customized.
  • MAGNUSDUCTOR
    266 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I also wonder if the more exotic items will cost money and the normal looking things will be free? Won't that automatically solve the problem? People only pay for the exotic things and most people will just run with the normal cosmetics (that are authentic ) that are free?

I am ok with cosmetics since I see the multiplayer game as a disneyland version of ww2. My other two friends who I showed the trailers were furious at the trailer and also had the same concerns about the customizations.
  • AiRJacobs
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited May 2018
    Both good points
    olavafar wrote: »
    I like the initiative but:

1) One cannot really be against an option unless we get to know what is NOT implemented to implement that option.
    What does it mean to vote YES? Less tested net code? No fix of other minor or major bugs found during late development? We can of course ignore that problem but someone at DICE must do that choice.

2) If a majority is against the customization I suppose it will not be a problem because the majority of soldiers will not be customized.

1) I could have clarified better. Simply put, it would be a client-side option somewhere in the gameplay section of the Options menu to disable multiplayer cosmetic customizations. All player models will be reverted to a default design that would reflect the most historically accurate uniform designs for the factions and classes. This would not only increase immersion, but give players more freedom over their game experience AND theoretically improve netcode due to a lesser load of items that need to be constantly monitored by your system and the servers. I'll add this to the first post.

2) I would hope so, but even a couple of players with purple mowhawks and robot arms is beyond the threshold of immersion breaking for me. Hopefully an option to disable this would be the best compromise for everyone.
    I also wonder if the more exotic items will cost money and the normal looking things will be free? Won't that automatically solve the problem? People only pay for the exotic things and most people will just run with the normal cosmetics (that are authentic ) that are free?

I am ok with cosmetics since I see the multiplayer game as a disneyland version of ww2. My other two friends who I showed the trailers were furious at the trailer and also had the same concerns about the customizations.

If the cosmetics are behind a paywall, that should solve a chunk of the issue.

• LegioX
    114 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Hell just give everybody bunny suits and spaceman outfits. Close to fortnight characters as it can be.,
  • lorenzburg
    63 postsMember Member
    Yes, just for the "WW2 immersion", I think that BF1 did a great job in making the classes not customizable, at least not the uniforms! The uniform must be something impossible to change, you just change something that really won't change that much your look. I would only make customizable you face, maybe tattoos (like Royal Marines Assault class), adding also facepaints isn't bad, those things have been used in war, but not purely for aesthetic reasons, in this game camoufalge could be the key in some maps I believe. Something that could be added as customization could be watches, bandaging for eyes, arms, legs ... all that stuff that isn't really going to change the way you look too much but could distinguish you from the other soldiers.
  • LH44x3
    85 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I don't want customisation because BC2 was the last game where the character models were distinctive enough that you could tell friend from foe - bar the wookies. I want that back.
  • Dalton249
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Yes, i wish every game had it.
  • CanonFodder23
    354 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    YES!!!!!!
  • jrcusson75
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Please Dice do this...