A possible solution for the customization debate

Realdarkviper
6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
A simple win-win-win solution is to include an option in the settings that hides all non historical customizations from the player.

Gameplay wise if this was turned on you would only see historical camos, skins, etc. on all your gear, your teammates gear, and on the enemies. You could possibly even extend it to making it male only if that’s your preference.

The people who want more a historically accurate experience win by only seeing more default uniforms, historically correct camouflage, etc. without any of the crazy extras.

The people who like crazy customization win by keeping the option off and seeing all of the crazy face paints, ice cream scoop prosthetics, rainbow tanks with realistic cat ears, and pink Darth Vader gun charms.

EA/Dice win because they now have two groups they can sell customizations to as opposed to just one group with the more crazy customizations.

Games like World of Tanks recently added this option as they started adding in some more out there skins, you turn it on and anyone whose using the non historical skins just looks like they have the default tank skin on.

Battlefield hardline had a similar option to hide masks.

What does the community think of this? It seems like a pretty simple idea that would allow everyone to have their cake and eat it too.

TL;DR: put an option in the settings to only see historical customizations.

Comments

• mf192
    83 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I totally agree with this idea. Dice, please, make it happen!
  • ladderley
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2018
    They probably won't because they want to advertise skins in gameplay, but I'd pay a few bucks for the filter itself if I had to, so it still should be implemented for those who want a more believable experience.
  • Realdarkviper
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    ladderley wrote: »
    They probably won't because they want to advertise skins in gameplay, but I'd pay a few bucks for the filter itself if I had to, so it still should be implemented for those who want a more believable experience.

They are still able to advertise because they can sell historically accurate camos, uniforms, facepaints, etc. to the more historically inclined player.

I would gladly pay for North African camos, different American or German uniforms (say the US 1st infantry division for example).
  • THISaint
    100 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    There already was a thread about this.

We came to an agreement that it won't happen, as EA would want other players to advertise the skins to you during the gameplay.

/thread
  • ladderley
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ladderley wrote: »

They are still able to advertise because they can sell historically accurate camos, uniforms, facepaints, etc. to the more historically inclined player.

I would gladly pay for North African camos, different American or German uniforms (say the US 1st infantry division for example).

I know, but a lot of people are using it as a counter argument and it got me thinking that EA will really try to shove it down peoples throats, as for me I'd gladly pay for some German forest camo, i love their patterns.
  • Realdarkviper
    THISaint wrote: »
    There already was a thread about this.

We came to an agreement that it won't happen, as EA would want other players to advertise the skins to you during the gameplay.

/thread

Your assuming that EA will only have purple hairs, prosthetics, etc. They could have kept it 100% historical and still have had a huge pool of customizations to choose from. If I see someone’s tiger rocking a sick eastern front camo I would gladly pay money for that.

These types of customization don’t have to be mutually exclusive.
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    No Premium = a need to recoup money elsewhere = a renewed focus on Battlepacks = a need to make battlepacks desirable = filling battlepacks with cosmetic options = changing cosmetic options to be more outlandish and unusual, to encourage users to buy them.

Want a real solution for the customization debate? Just accept that it's in the game. Eventually we are going to get to a point, once the game comes out, that it doesn't really matter what the character model we are killing looks like.
  • Realdarkviper
    TickTak77 wrote: »
    No Premium = a need to recoup money elsewhere = a renewed focus on Battlepacks = a need to make battlepacks desirable = filling battlepacks with cosmetic options = changing cosmetic options to be more outlandish and unusual, to encourage users to buy them.

Want a real solution for the customization debate? Just accept that it's in the game. Eventually we are going to get to a point, once the game comes out, that it doesn't really matter what the character model we are killing looks like.

What I suggested would allow EA/dice to still bring in a lot of money. I fully accept that the customization is there, and I would love to use historical skins.