The trailer and what DICE has said.

Kozer213
160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
So, yesterday when I first saw the trailer I was upset like a lot of people, but I have more concerns than just the women in the game. Personally I feel she does not fit, and had she not been in the trailer but in the game, or not been featured so heavily, the uproar would not exist.

My issues right now are with what info we have been given from DICE about this. We know that they wanted to make a WWII game, and that at launch, I believe they said they wanted to focus on the early parts of the war such as the Fall of France. I saw a list of starting regions and it included France, North Africa, and other parts of Europe. No Eastern Front content. So we can assume that at launch we will see the start of WWII.

This concerns me with what we saw in that trailer. Many of the tanks and other vehicles we saw did not exist when France fell. The Tiger was a direct result of the T-34 in Russia. Same with that V1 rocket. Some of the customization's such as the war paint were used by Airborne troops, which we saw. But that would not have been the case during this trailer. The trailer seems to take place during Operation Market Garden, which would explain the rocket and the Tiger tank. But that means that either at launch we already have all this, and that the exclusion of the Eastern Front is just that, an exclusion, or DICE has no idea what happened during the actual time frame of the war.

I honestly no longer know what to think of Battlefield. And my concerns run deeper than just what we saw in that horrible trailer.

If they come out and say that this is an alternate history game, I will be 100% fine with everything I saw. Currently this is not the case for me. Feel free to share your thoughts about my thoughts.

Comments

• mf192
    83 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I was watching an interview jackfrags did today with one of the developers, and at one point he said something along the lines of, "this is WW2 through the lens of dice" and I just facepalmed as soon as he said that because it is just disgusting to me, that they would handle one of,if not the greatest conflict in history, in such a manner. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it needs to be 110% perfectly authentic, but if you're going to set the game in a historic setting such as this, then at least do it right, do it justice, and make an accurate representation of it. I believe BF1 did this perfectly. As it stands, unless Dice comes to their senses, and does something about the ridiculously out of place customization (such as being able to disable it in settings, as has been suggested), I will not be buying this game, period.
  • -wL-Sycc
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    If this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is as bad as BF4/Hardline/1, nobody should buy it. Coming from 1942, to BF2, to 3...everything since BF3 has sucked, 110%. I love WW2, and hope it's not just infy. Although, most DICE employees seem to be absolute ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ in the air, so we'll probably get screwed there, too.
  • Zer0ofTime
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This Trailer for BF5 makes for a much better sell.

I am glad Jack dropped his video when he did, it cleared up a lot of things for me. I still however hope that:
    • BF1942 map Market Garden was featured in the trailer
    • That like BFBC2 had both modern combat and Vietnam, and BF1942 was WW2 and Desert Combat Mod (a mod made by people hired by DICE to dev BF2) was modern, That there is DLC for Vietnam and Modern Combat, or even future combat if the game makes enough money for DLC development.
    • That the netcode since BF3 has been fixed once and for all
    • That 60-144hz Servers become the norm and run more stable with 64+players on
  • Kingfirejet1st
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    mf192 wrote: »
    I was watching an interview jackfrags did today with one of the developers, and at one point he said something along the lines of, "this is WW2 through the lens of dice" and I just facepalmed as soon as he said that because it is just disgusting to me, that they would handle one of,if not the greatest conflict in history, in such a manner. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it needs to be 110% perfectly authentic, but if you're going to set the game in a historic setting such as this, then at least do it right, do it justice, and make an accurate representation of it. I believe BF1 did this perfectly. As it stands, unless Dice comes to their senses, and does something about the ridiculously out of place customization (such as being able to disable it in settings, as has been suggested), I will not be buying this game, period.

The thing about the "lens" quote is that's how they did it for Battlefield 1 as well. Battlefield 1 was glorified and DICE made it more epic in proportions than it historically was (tanks didn't move that fast, Zeppelins weren't used often and were easily taken down etc). In a Battlefield 1 dev commentary, they said that their focus was on gameplay first then work on realism to integrate into that amazing gameplay. For now, I'm sure they're well aware of the backlash and will showcase the game properly in the coming weeks and trailers. Their list of new features from Jackfrags is amazing and is vastly better on paper than in the trailer so I can't wait until they properly showcase it. The customization controversy is being blown out of proportion and making the game look worse than what it has actually improved on. TLDR ver. -> Calm down, it was a poorly designed trailer and doesn't show the vast improvements they listed on paper. They didn't show the Episodic War Stories yet so we can judge the historical accuracy later.
  • Kozer213
    160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Gents. I was going to respond to your comments. But I came to post something else that I just noticed that has now made me mad.
    Play Untold War Stories – Witness human drama set against global combat in the single player War Stories. Ski down Norwegian mountains as you battle for control of nuclear weapon supply lines, join the frontline with the French colonial troops, or go behind enemy lines in North Africa with a band of misfits sent to create mayhem.
    That is taken from the BF5 store page.
    What are nuclear weapon supply lines?
    Is this alternate history?
  • DonSharkito
    799 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Kozer213 wrote: »
    Gents. I was going to respond to your comments. But I came to post something else that I just noticed that has now made me mad.
    Play Untold War Stories – Witness human drama set against global combat in the single player War Stories. Ski down Norwegian mountains as you battle for control of nuclear weapon supply lines, join the frontline with the French colonial troops, or go behind enemy lines in North Africa with a band of misfits sent to create mayhem.

It probably refers to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_heavy_water_sabotage
  • impulsive_tango
    202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is just to funny! "this is WW2 through the lens of dice". I read today that the girl with that robotic arm, is from an alien race. That alien race will be in BF2143.
  • Valgandar
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

What it may mean is, there is a small town called Jachymov in the Czech Republic that has a 500 year old silver mine that has ( the greatest known concentration of uranium at that time, and the local miners called it pesh blend) and this is where atomic energy was first discovered. Through a series of physicists through the years, a man named Otto Hann discovered the splitting of the nucleus of uranium 235 released HUGE amounts of energy. In 1939 the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ invaded the Czech Republic and claimed the uranium in Jachymov (which was the only supply in Europe). So the battles in BFV may be over the areas where they ship the uranium to Germany. Just a guess.
  • ThePro_PR
    183 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Jesus people just like to * alot. I dont have any issues with the game so far, but DICE should have just made a 2142 spiritual sequel. That way DICE could do whatever they could WITH THEIR GAME and all these history nut-jobs that are apparently "90%" of the BF player base would be happy ... maybe? ... or are they experts in future wars as well? ... who knows.
  • Zer0ofTime
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

ThePro_PR wrote: »
    Jesus people just like to * alot. I dont have any issues with the game so far, but DICE should have just made a 2142 spiritual sequel. That way DICE could do whatever they could WITH THEIR GAME and all these history nut-jobs that are apparently "90%" of the BF player base would be happy ... maybe? ... or are they experts in future wars as well? ... who knows.

Zer0ofTime wrote: »
    like BFBC2 had both modern combat and Vietnam, and BF1942 was WW2 and Desert Combat Mod (a mod made by people hired by DICE to dev BF2) was modern, That there is DLC for Vietnam and Modern Combat, or even future combat if the game makes enough money for DLC development.

Maybe we will get DLC with modern and future combat!