Genuinely worried about BFV

b2tchwood
1086 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I know it’s too early to tell but I’ve watched a lot of the “BFV details” (not a fan of the trailer but trailers are not good indications of how a games going to play anyway) and I am genuinely worried. The new concepts make great for getting closer to “realism” (its never going to be real) but the BF community is not what it used to be. It’s hard enough to get people to throw ammo and med packs already, now I really have to rely on these people when I have limited health and ammo?

People tend not to play objectives already and now the game pace looks set to be slowed down even more... “more tactical” is what I keep hearing code word for most people sitting in spawn, not attacking and blaming every loss on too many snipers (hint they are every other class but nowhere near an objective).

So for the gameplay can you please show us the epic moments - not being funny but BF1 tended to be weaker in this area - some aggressive attacking play to show us this “intense war” feeling which is advertised frequently. Personally I don’t really want this to turn into a slow paced game, I like the fight IMO. If that’s where it’s going let us know so we can decide if this is the game for us. Looking forward to more details in the gameplay reveal.

Comments

• DonSharkito
    799 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yes I have more or less the same concerns as you.

The new health regeneration system (players might play more conservatively because more frightened to go in a fight and lose health), fortifications building, new animations in almost everything you do apart from running and gunning might make the game a lot slower than BF1 and more "campy".

Many say that that the gameplay will be more skill based, tactical (whatever it means, I haven't seen anything related to tactics or strategy in BF1), more demanding and will reward a lot more teamwork and efficient squads while punishing lone wolves.

While on paper it all sounds great and I am the first one happy to have more skill based gunplay mechanics in this game, we know that in reality the vast majority of players don't play like that. I fear that that many players will be thrown off by these changes if they require too much squadwork to enjoy it properly or if is a lot harder for them perform at the same level as let's say BF1.

Hope it is balanced in a way that both skilled and casual players will enjoy it, otherwise the game might not be a success.

But hopefully the gameplay shown in a couple of weeks will prove us the contrary.
  • dcs500
    1511 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    b2tchwood wrote: »
    Personally I don’t really want this to turn into a slow paced game, I like the fight IMO. If that’s where it’s going let us know so we can decide if this is the game for us.

There was nothing in the trailer that indicated to me that BFV would be slow, quite the opposite.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    2247 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    There is obviously a generational thing with regards to the new health system. Older gmaers like myself remember when games had no auto heal feature at all and i personally don't like it as a mechanic. The new system in BFV seems a good compromise in my opinion
  • Turban_Legend80
    4749 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I know it’s too early to tell but I’ve watched a lot of the “BFV details” (not a fan of the trailer but trailers are not good indications of how a games going to play anyway) and I am genuinely worried. The new concepts make great for getting closer to “realism” (its never going to be real) but the BF community is not what it used to be. It’s hard enough to get people to throw ammo and med packs already, now I really have to rely on these people when I have limited health and ammo?

People tend not to play objectives already and now the game pace looks set to be slowed down even more... “more tactical” is what I keep hearing code word for most people sitting in spawn, not attacking and blaming every loss on too many snipers (hint they are every other class but nowhere near an objective).

So for the gameplay can you please show us the epic moments - not being funny but BF1 tended to be weaker in this area - some aggressive attacking play to show us this “intense war” feeling which is advertised frequently. Personally I don’t really want this to turn into a slow paced game, I like the fight IMO. If that’s where it’s going let us know so we can decide if this is the game for us. Looking forward to more details in the gameplay reveal.

Good post.

You can’t force people to play a certain way.
  • MachoFantast1c0
    2067 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

While on paper it all sounds great and I am the first one happy to have more skill based gunplay mechanics in this game, we know that in reality the vast majority of players don't play ... "with teamwork to pursue objectives".

This might be a platform issue, but on PC at least Conquest and Domination plays out rather well for the most part, with seemingly adequately competent players that try to help each other out. On the other hand, I've mostly given up on Operations and Frontlines partly due to the frustration with non-objective centric behaviour, leading to poor balance and other unenjoyable aspects. So I'm cautiously optimistic with the premise behind the changes.

I fear that that many players will be thrown off by these changes if they require too much squadwork to enjoy it properly or if is a lot harder for them perform at the same level as let's say BF1.

Hope it is balanced in a way that both skilled and casual players will enjoy it, otherwise the game might not be a success.

This is definitely a valid concern. However, if a balance is struck well, it has the potential to improve the co-operative aspects of the gameplay and make it more satisfying for all. I'd prefer it to be more challenging than BF1, as succeeding under harder circumstances will feel more rewarding.
  • b2tchwood
    1086 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    dcs500 wrote: »
    Personally I don’t really want this to turn into a slow paced game, I like the fight IMO. If that’s where it’s going let us know so we can decide if this is the game for us.

There was nothing in the trailer that indicated to me that BFV would be slow, quite the opposite.

This is why I stated trailers are never a good indication of how a game will play. I’m listening rather than just watching and it’s what I hear that gives me concern. In actual fact the majority of posters will clearly state the trailer does not reflect the significant changes.
    Yes I have more or less the same concerns as you.

The new health regeneration system (players might play more conservatively because more frightened to go in a fight and lose health), fortifications building, new animations in almost everything you do apart from running and gunning might make the game a lot slower than BF1 and more "campy".

Many say that that the gameplay will be more skill based, tactical (whatever it means, I haven't seen anything related to tactics or strategy in BF1), more demanding and will reward a lot more teamwork and efficient squads while punishing lone wolves.

While on paper it all sounds great and I am the first one happy to have more skill based gunplay mechanics in this game, we know that in reality the vast majority of players don't play like that. I fear that that many players will be thrown off by these changes if they require too much squadwork to enjoy it properly or if is a lot harder for them perform at the same level as let's say BF1.

This is pretty much where I am coming from. I do fear that that the game will be a failure not on the games behalf but on the players behalf. What I’m hearing sounds almost competitive genre esque, but when most people seem to just want to shoot people in the face with a rocket after a hard days work I’m finding it hard to believe this will be an easy adjustment for most.