This Week in Battlefield V

BFV dedicated servers

Comments

• Metal_Jockets
    247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Axlerod1 wrote: »
    If EA and DICE are not talking about it, then it is not in there.

Unfortunately yes..it seems that way..
  • Reverend-1313
    178 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    It's not looking good for PC gamers again. The console plague has stuck again.

Consoles themselves are awesome and have some great games. But when publishers try to make a 1 size fits all game they have to dumb the games down for the lowest common denominator. Which has always been the console and it's player base. Not an insult console players just a fact that most console players didn't grow up with all the options we have on PC. So they don't know when they are getting cheated out of a better product.

Can you imagine the upraor if the console audience grew up with games with the ability to mod....omg that would have been a sight to behold.
  • Jaskaman
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2018

I hope you are wrong. I want to play BF V with own server -anyway holding my preorder as I said before....
  • Reverend-1313
    The sad thing is if they decide to remove RSP altogether it would solidify an already reasonably clear line of reasoning. That just makes it so blatantly clear that the motivation is to limit the product life cycle so users are ready to pay full price for the next game.

3rd party server hosters have to pay EA, so they are already actively taking a small or possibly large hit on the bottom line by bringing everything in house. If you apply some critical thinking and look at the situation logically it's easy to see what's happening without a smoking gun so to speak.
  • Metal_Jockets
    247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Jaskaman wrote: »

I hope you are wrong..

yes..same here, but the silence is deafening..

• Reverend-1313
    I'm sure we won't hear anything from E3 either.
  • xxxCoOlBr33zExxx
    3866 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    More info will come once EA Play arrives next weekend. As to what info that is, your guess is as good as mine.

I'm hoping they bring back dedicated servers but we will have to wait and see.

-CB
  • Axlerod1
    1378 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    You won't hear anything at EA Play about dedicated servers.

On the bright side of things...

That is what should of released. I think I will get this one instead. I am just waiting on server support information on it.
  • Reverend-1313
    More info will come once EA Play arrives next weekend. As to what info that is, your guess is as good as mine.

I'm hoping they bring back dedicated servers but we will have to wait and see.

-CB

Is this the same rubbish we were told about RPS and features "coming soon", "the community is important to us", or "also coming soon". Not interested in people towing the company line to milk sales out of the uninformed.
  • MayorMarionBarry
    2045 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    15 years ago, SOCOM II for the PS2 had dedicated servers and you could customize your own servers, at any time, for free.
    The most popular servers were those customized by players.

It had a lobby system in which hundreds of people per server would be chatting.
    It had a pre-round lobby as well, which supported voice and text chat.

It shipped with 24 maps and a full single player campaign.

I know, it's a lot more expensive to produce games these days, and they are a lot bigger.

Still. Nostalgia pangs.
  • Statistic68
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I just don't get it. They don't learn their lesson. If they don't offer dedicated servers, i'm going to get my money back.
  • Reverend-1313
    edited June 2018
    As much as I want a BF game, I have touched one since BF4. BF1 beta was fun-ish but it was infested with hackers and EA didn't have any active anti chceat at the beginning. So so many reasons not to trust EA.

So I speak with my wallet. Sadly people keep throwing there money at EA blindly. Just confirms to EA in the long run they can keep doing whatever they want and people keep spending money on it.
  • Ghoul-X
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited June 2018
    I understand the desire to curb badmin abuse in the battlefield franchise on public servers. That said my free to play battlefield community Global-Conflict established in 2004 has played all the battlefield games since its inception except Battlefield 1 because of its lack of being able to lock the server and adjust the settings for private play amongst ourselves. At the time of writing this our community has over 4300 members. We ended up playing Red Storm 2: Vietnam while we waited for the next iteration of Battlefield. Its the first time since 2004 and BF1942 we've ever used another game in our tournament. Currently we are in a hibernative state hoping that Battlefield 5 will stir things back up.

We spent $500 to $700 a year renting renting battlefield 2, 3 and 4 servers via community members donations (we do not, nor have ever charged anyone to play with us and every penny donated is spent on maintaining the community). I would think EA would like to have that revenue. Over the years we've scrimmaged with other BF communities like LevelBF, 21CW, and BlackIntel not to mention other clans. Having private servers is the only way that we can play the game in a controlled environment where every player is playing the objective and acting like team in a coordinated effort to realize the full potential of this game. (no lone wolves since its a team effort to secure the win and not a individual contest for most kills). I can speak for most of our community and say that once you have played this way pubbing really loses its luster. I've barely played 8 hours of Battlefield 1

We are really hoping for some basic ability to rent and control our own server for private community play.
    1. Name the server so our members can find it.
    2. Put password on server. (Badmin problem solved) (we only want to play with people from our community on the server)
    3. Start / Stop server
    4. Re-start map rounds (so once server is full we can go live with battle)
    5. Turn of Auto balance so players can select which team to play on. (We separate into teams before playing rounds of Battlefield)
    6. Add / remove maps from map list while server is on. (We play only a few maps each battleday)
    7. Kick / Ban (if someone is breaking community agreed upon rules or being disruptive)
    8. Unlock all weapons and perks so that everyone has the same tools for fair play.
    9. Adjust ticket count so that we can hit that sweet spot of a 30 to 45 min. match time in conquest mode.
    10. Admin list (allow more than just server owner to control server. Owner of server can't always be expected to be present for every community battle).

Every other setting is gravy but not necessary to running a private not for profit tournament. It was nice to be able to turn off some weapons when the community voted that they were making the game not fun. (lock on and forget weapons for example).

On a personal note. Please give us flight physics like BF1942 had. Having to take off and land planes on aircraft carriers with joystick support. (they were so much more fun than anything since). Oh and driving ships and calling for artillery support :)
    Post edited by Ghoul-X on
  • ShevermiN
    390 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    ^^ So here we go again

1 You can name a server in BF1

2 You can put a password on a server.

3 & 4 You can restart maps and select the next map from the rotation in any order.

5 You can turn autobalance off (but might be bugged on map change when changing to different map type, was an issue going from rush to pigeons ??)

6 You can select maps from the rotation as an admin but to update the maps in the rotation while game is running you need to be the server owner.

7 You can kick or ban a player while in game as long as you are an admin.

8 Don't actually know about this one, you can restrict the weapons and classes but I don't now if you an unlock them for players that haven't yet ??

9 You can adjust ticket count.

10 You can nominate admin but yes the server owner is the only one who can adjust game settings.

Yes these features were not available at launch but as of 6 months ago this is where the RSP sits. It's not perfect but it is now has enough functions so as to workable for a clan to use for recreational private matches....

This is what happens when you only put 8 hours into a game.

• karnak07
    65 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think that the dedicated servers and their customization settings that were present in bf3-bf4 are fundamental to the longevity of the product.

I managed to keep an active server from the first day they were rented and it is renewed until November 2018. However, the gaming experience was ruined by the impossibility of making certain changes.

1- even the smallest change, even those that do not affect the gameplay (for example, match tickets or votemap) make the server "custom". with related problems in server browser.

2- the lack of options for limiting classes and / or weapons. Seeing every game 40 snipers on 64 was really bad if we think that with my previous servers bfbc2, bf3 and bf4 we were used to limit the sniper class to a maximum of 6 faction to encourage the movement and the conquest of the flags.
    Without this option, bf1 games 70-80% of the time are unbalanced on one side or the other.
    (in this case it is right that the server becomes custom, but logically who enters knows what rules it finds)

3- very important part, the lack of a serious management panel. Even just one button for restarting the server seems to me the least. With bf1 we were forced to contact support every time for a simple server restart.

There would be dozens of other reasons, but now these come to mind. Probably because they are the ones we suffered most.
    I hope the ea understand that servers are a fundamental part of battlefield. They serve to keep the community active for more time
  • MsieurLeodagan
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ShevermiN wrote: »
    ^^ So here we go again

3 & 4 You can restart maps and select the next map from the rotation in any order.

5 You can turn autobalance off (but might be bugged on map change when changing to different map type, was an issue going from rush to pigeons ??)

6 You can select maps from the rotation as an admin but to update the maps in the rotation while game is running you need to be the server owner.

8 Don't actually know about this one, you can restrict the weapons and classes but I don't now if you an unlock them for players that haven't yet ??

10 You can nominate admin but yes the server owner is the only one who can adjust game settings.

Yes these features were not available at launch but as of 6 months ago this is where the RSP sits. It's not perfect but it is now has enough functions so as to workable for a clan to use for recreational private matches....

lol The settings EA severs are insufficient, exemple : we have only the choice to delete the class scout
    Procon with private dedicated servers proposes many more parameters : we can limit snipers/scouts or to limit directly some weapons....etc
  • NLBartmaN
    3304 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Rented dedicated servers with region Ping limits would solve so many problems ..
  • Muzzy2222
    25 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    Add our community of 40+ to the list, rental servers are a must for keeping communities going.
  • Ghoul-X
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    ShevermiN wrote: »
    ^^ So here we go again

Our community gave up hoping for the above BF 1 server support 6 months after its release. I guess we should have held on for 15 months. Sadly the hype train was long gone and interest in running a tournament around it so long after its release was just not there anymore. That said, here is hoping that what they finally developed for BF1 transitions to BF 5 at the minimum.
  • Jaskaman
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    Admin functions in BF1 (including move player etc.) are basicly very minimum set and from that they should develop more features.
    It is a set you can manage your own server without any extra.
    A lot of so called Basic functions were still missing. I have my doubts that they will release any info about rentable servers in EA Play but I hope I'm wrong...