BFV dedicated servers

Comments

• A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    olT3lo wrote: »
    You can't. RSP as it was in BF3, killed off servers with full map rotations.

No, lack of player interest in those full map rotations killed off those servers.

I doubt it. Players will flock to the full servers, but very few will join an empty one to get it running.

If you can no longer find good servers, what do you do? Likely find another game.

First off, to answer some of the other responses, I too believe rented servers are keeping BF3 and BF4 alive. Only a fool would think otherwise.
    Only a fool would think community servers keep a game alive? Huh, woah... I guess Rainbow Six: Siege servers must be completely dead! No point jumping into some Quake Champions.

Man, that sucks! I was going to play some CS:GO, but the official servers are probably dead there as well!
    "Players will flock to full servers", yes, and how did those servers get full in the first place? Because players want to play maps they enjoy. I know there are players who would rather play on full map rotations (I'm one of them usually), but the truth is the majority want to play on limited rotations. If that wasn't the case, then full rotation servers would fill more often and stay full. They don't.

On maps they enjoy? Or do they merely join meat grinders to pad their stats and rank up more quickly?

I don't doubt that there's a subset that loves chaos... but these kinds of servers seem to have gotten way more popular with the Frostbite games. I'd attribute the increased interest to other factors than just enjoying the gameplay experience alone.

Stop blaming things you don't like on rentable servers.

Without rentable servers, my experience would be more enjoyable. That's just the way it is.

There's nothing wrong with disliking something.

If you think that its a direct and fair comparison between a company that removes all their own official servers (EA/BF) and one does NOT remove all their own official servers (CS/RB6) I'm pretty sure that removes you from being capable of competently defending your side of the conversion.

Its one thing to have an opinion, we all get those. But when you base your opinions on things that carry about as much validity as saying the sky tastes like purple.......

What's invalid about it? Are you seriously implying that EA would let one of their keystone franchises die, if they were to pull the plug on community servers?

I find that to be pretty hard to believe.
  • CrashCA
    1321 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Gorilla, the quote you cite clearly states "rented serverd are keeping BF3/4 alive" which is undenible.

As to your experience being more enjoyable, stay away from rented servers and make our experience more enjoyable also.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    CrashCA wrote: »
    Gorilla, the quote you cite clearly states "rented serverd are keeping BF3/4 alive" which is undenible.

As to your experience being more enjoyable, stay away from rented servers and make our experience more enjoyable also.

Hmm, there may be some misunderstanding.

I do believe that community servers can benefit the longevity of a game, but it really depends. In the case of Battlefield 3, RSP was one of the factors that killed that game for me. Clearly it wasn't good for players such as myself who preferred vanilla server settings. In that situation, I think it can hurt the game as much as it helps it, which is why I'm against it.

I think CS:GO does it great, since there's a clear divide between official servers and community servers. Black Ops 3 also had that clear divide. If they go that route, I'd be A-okay with it.
  • Axlerod1
    1387 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    https://www.mareainformativa.com/2018/10/01/insider-selling-electronic-arts-inc-ea-ceo-sells-3280770-00-in-stock-updated-updated-updated.html

It does not look like it is going to get better, Andrew Wilson sold 29000 shares of his stock off. He now only has 20,000 shares left. I do not think even he has faith BFV is going to do great.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Axlerod1 wrote: »
    https://www.mareainformativa.com/2018/10/01/insider-selling-electronic-arts-inc-ea-ceo-sells-3280770-00-in-stock-updated-updated-updated.html

It does not look like it is going to get better, Andrew Wilson sold 29000 shares of his stock off. He now only has 20,000 shares left. I do not think even he has faith BFV is going to do great.

Um I don't think so.....especially when they reported better than anticipated gains. Their stock has been upgraded and he is cashing in on the profits.
  • olT3lo
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member

There was. You didn't understand what I said, that was the misunderstanding.

I'm not going to sit here and argue your likes or dislikes, clearly 3rd party rental servers aren't something you support. You already got your way with BF1, I didn't play BF1 because they lacked 3rd party servers with proper RCON controls, and neither did my clan. I will be skipping this game as well for those reasons and more. Enjoy your game.

Clearly the way Gorilla thinks is what we are battling as a community. It's the same lame excuse that EA uses along with, 'bad admin'. Honestly those excuses suck. If there were no well run servers out there then 'bad admin' would be a valid excuse, but that wasn't the case when I was playing BF3. When I came across a server that was poorly run, or I didn't like the rules, I left. It was really that simple.

As for there being a lack of populated servers running stock map rotations.. if there is this big percentage or players out there who are homeless because they can't ever find a server with a good map rotation, why not team up and go populate a server you like? I really don't understand the difficulty since it appears those who like special rules or high ticket counts, or whatever the case may be, some how manage to get those servers full. Especially when you hear some people talk who say that there is a huge amount of players displaced by that non-sense.

But what do I know.. i'm just applying my pitiful excuse for common sense.

• A_Cool_Gorilla
    edited October 2018

Clearly the way Gorilla thinks is what we are battling as a community.

Not everyone likes the drawbacks of RSP. It's not a "battle", and it's silly to think of it that way. I've already mentioned possible middle grounds.
    As for there being a lack of populated servers running stock map rotations.. if there is this big percentage or players out there who are homeless because they can't ever find a server with a good map rotation, why not team up and go populate a server you like?
    I have to pay for a server, to get the vanilla experience that the developers intended? Why can't EA pay for the official servers on their own? Why should those costs be offloaded to us, even for the default experience?

Why can't a system like CS:GO work in an attempt to please everyone? You have full control there, after all.
  • olT3lo
    Not everyone likes the drawbacks of RSP.

I know. But, not everyone sees them as 'drawbacks'. Not having them is a BIG drawback to those people, including me.
    It's not a "battle", and it's silly to think of it that way. I've already mentioned possible middle grounds.

I've mentioned middle grounds too. Those haven't been implemented and for those of us who have lost our communities because of the changes EA/DICE made with BF1 and has continued with all their games since, it is a battle, and you are on the winning side so enjoy.
    I have to pay for a server, to get the vanilla experience that the developers intended? Why can't EA pay for the official servers on their own?

Who said you have to pay for a server. I said team up with others who want the same experience you want and go fill an EXISTING server. All those who want to play on special rules, small map rotations, they seem to be able to fill up their servers, why can't you and the people like you do the same?
    Why can't a system like CS:GO work in an attempt to please everyone? You have full control there, after all.

I don't play that game and don't know what you are talking about.

BTW, that line in my previous post was to indicate that I was no longer addressing you personally. Not that you aren't allowed to comment on what I said after the line. I'm just not interested in going back and forth with a single person who doesn't agree with me and will never agree with me. I know where you stand and I'm fine with that.
  • olT3lo
    I responded and it disappeared when I tried to edit it. Not going to put in the effort a 2nd time, but here were the highlights...

Rented servers aren't a drawback to me and many others.

It IS a battle, and your side is winning so enjoy.

I didn't say you had to rent a server, I said get other people who want to play like you and go fill an existing server that is empty that has the rotation and rules you like.

I don't play CS:GO and don't know what you are talking about.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    edited October 2018
    It IS a battle, and your side is winning so enjoy.

It's not. I would be glad to see RSP die, but that doesn't mean I want to see fans of this franchise be pushed away either

I didn't say you had to rent a server, I said get other people who want to play like you and go fill an existing server that is empty that has the rotation and rules you like.

I really wish it were that easy. Personally, I just don't believe a server list is optimal for the "default" experience. I like the direction Battlefield V is taking, in that... for the casual player, all they see are icons that they click on, and that takes them to their preferred game mode. However, an advanced player can still access the server browser if they choose to. I'm tired, so I'll flesh my thoughts on this out late tomorrow if the discussion goes there. I believe this is one of many factors, though.

I don't play CS:GO and don't know what you are talking about.

All you have to do is ask - we're here to discuss after all. In CS:GO, you either use matchmaking to join official servers, or you use the server browser to join community servers. The community servers have full control over everything - you name it, and there's a good chance that you can tweak it. Community maps as well as mod support, but that's another topic.

The only thing I would change with this system, is to allow official servers to be accessed via the server browser... but still keep the matchmaking front and center. I believe this would encourage more players to play on official servers, instead of falling into the trap of just picking "whatever server". I think that's a factor to BF3's issues as well. If you want custom rulesets, then you have to use the server browser alone. It sounds like a small change, but I think these small changes would collectively help a keep both experiences alive.
  • olT3lo
    I didn't care enough to ask.

That's fine, I just want 3rd party servers with RCON so I can control it. I don't care if there is a matchmaking system as long as I can have a server, run it the way I want, and people can find it via a server browser. Unfortunately we haven't been able to do that since BF4 and I'm done. I'm only here fighting to save a franchise I once loved but has fallen to the crapper. I'm 99% sure it's not coming back but when I get bored, I come here to see what's up.
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    Make quickmatch take you to official servers.

Allow access to custom servers via the server browser. Add a simple checkbox in the filters to show custom servers which is something BF1 lacked to make it easier to find custom games. Add one for official servers too in case you want to show/disable them in your browser.

Allow complete admin/mod customization of private servers similar to BF3/BF4.

That's really all we need. Community servers for gaming have always been one of my favorite things in PC gaming (although consoles have it now too of course). I don't feel as much a part of the game's community when all you can do is use quickmatch or play on official servers. Community servers make it easier to find others that you enjoy playing with and to develop online bonds with others who frequent the server. I loved joining my favorite community servers in Counter Strike Source, seeing familiar players, and being greeted by them, developing inside jokes with one another, etc. since we played together often. Much of my friends list on Steam is comprised of other players that I simply met through frequenting similar community servers.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I just wanted to leave this here:

I want a proper RSP, but bloody hell, there are a lot of imbecilic server admins out there ...
  • von_Campenstein
    6621 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited October 2018
    Axlerod1 wrote: »
    it's always funny when I hear players say they don't like rented community ran servers. In my experience, the ones that say that are the ones with the toxic mouths and or running some artificial skill and keep getting banned from those rented community ran servers.

Like I've said before I can't stand clans and rented servers becomes a clan control of sorts, with them contained in that environment and it could offer a variety of other services if you want to go there. I'm well aware I'd get banned from most of them for my cursing but that doesn't stop me from seeing they'd be good for the game as a whole, not everyone is a selfserving jerk, sometimes I take a break to sit on it.

Edited to remove swearing. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • Rev0verDrive
    6761 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I do believe that community servers can benefit the longevity of a game, but it really depends. In the case of Battlefield 3, RSP was one of the factors that killed that game for me. Clearly it wasn't good for players such as myself who preferred vanilla server settings. In that situation, I think it can hurt the game as much as it helps it, which is why I'm against it.

So where were the DICE official servers at the time in BF3? They are the ones responsible for keeping those Vanilla servers up. So without them the community rented servers were the only reason there were servers.

• A_Cool_Gorilla
    edited October 2018

So where were the DICE official servers at the time in BF3? They are the ones responsible for keeping those Vanilla servers up. So without them the community rented servers were the only reason there were servers.

There were none.

If there was no server rental, then they would have had no choice but to pay the bills themselves.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6761 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

There were none.

If there was no server rental, then they would have had no choice but to pay the bills themselves.

Don't see any BF4 Official servers ... CQ Large, All Maps. I assume if there was enough demand for whatever is you like there'd be a rental version of it. Like true official settings. No admin, all maps.

You could put one up yourself, then get donations to keep it running....if enough players liked it.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla

There were none.

Don't see any BF4 Official servers ... CQ Large, All Maps. I assume if there was enough demand for whatever is you like there'd be a rental version of it. Like true official settings. No admin, all maps.

You could put one up yourself, then get donations to keep it running....if enough players liked it.

I believe there would be a demand for official servers if they represented them similarly to CS:GO. MM only using official servers.
  • Rev0verDrive

There were none.

I believe there would be a demand for official servers if they represented them similarly to CS:GO. MM only using official servers.

Yeah a team based, squad focused game solely relying on MM. Uh huh that's going to work out real well long term.