And so i went to upgrade from i5 7500 to i7 7700k to fix the frame rate drops...

SooperShrooms
1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
Like many of you, i got to enjoy "Ultra" Settings with 80fps - 100fps+ during launch. My specs were as follows:

i5 7500
GTX 1070
16GB Ram Dual Channel

Shortly after the release of the Creators Update and DLCs, somehow the frame rates just went haywire. Tried all the fixes here to no avail. The drops were unbearable. Unbearable enough to make me go out and splash $300 on a new CPU to get 20 FPS more. Which is quite ridiculous to be honest. Anyway, am quite happy with the performance improvements. Those of you who might be on the fence to upgrade to an i7 from an i5, i say do it if you have the means! Here are the results:

With i5 7500 (R.I.P Performance. You did quite well initially)
Battlefield_1_Screenshot_2018.06.06_-_21.49.32.77.png

i7 7700K (Butter)
Battlefield_1_Screenshot_2018.06.06_-_23.11.56.14.png

Comments

• BigF33t_13
    6363 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The big difference is the CPU usage. They warned a while back that performance may drop with the release of the DLC.
  • Knuckl3_Dragger
    919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Sell the i5 to recoup some of your money. That 7700k doesn't even have to be overclocked at this point but it's nice to know you can when that day comes.
  • D5RAT
    1947 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »
    The big difference is the CPU usage. They warned a while back that performance may drop with the release of the DLC.

Really ? and yet BFV has the same min requirements . I smell another forum full of performance issues posts
  • Knuckl3_Dragger
    919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    D5RAT wrote: »

Really ? and yet BFV has the same min requirements . I smell another forum full of performance issues posts

Someone posted a quote from Dice saying that the system requirements are not accurate for Battlefield 5. They will update it at a later date
  • BigF33t_13
    6363 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

The same rumors came out before bf1 came out. It's rumor.
  • enek0id
    252 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The fact that in mid 2018 more that 4 threads give benefits to games is not "ridiculous", it's what PC gamers have been waiting for long time.
    Let's not forget that until yesterday (2015-2016) we complained because multi-core CPUs were not used properly, now we start complaining because games are CPU demanding...
  • Gattlin
    427 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited June 7
    Oh ya X-58 I7 Xeon 5690 OC @ 4.2 ht on, handles this game fine and I suspect it will on BFV too. Nine year old system .Win 10 1607
  • D5RAT
    1947 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Gattlin wrote: »
    Oh ya X-58 I7 Xeon 5690 OC @ 4.2 ht on, handles this game fine and I suspect it will on BFV too. Nine year old system .Win 10 1607

I have a similar X58 RAMPAGE III EXTREME with i7 965x @ 4ghz , fury gfx runs bf1 fine . thinking of the xeon to give me a couple of extra cores but maybe go Ryzen 2 , will be sad to see this great platform go though :)
  • eilef
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    enek0id wrote: »
    The fact that in mid 2018 more that 4 threads give benefits to games is not "ridiculous", it's what PC gamers have been waiting for long time.
    Let's not forget that until yesterday (2015-2016) we complained because multi-core CPUs were not used properly, now we start complaining because games are CPU demanding...

You see, when this game launched, people run it well on 4 core CPU and that was enough until start of 2018. Then DICE broke something, and now 4 core CPU can’t even play the game properly. We, players, were able to play just fine for a year, but DICE just destroyed performance with their "patches".

People complained about this game not using multi-threading properly, because they need it to play 144HZ. So DICE, instead of making necessary fixes, and making sure that 4 core CPU can run 60 fps (like they did when game started), and 4+4 or 6+6 could run 144HZ, just butchered 4 core performance, making more costly processors requirement to play the game. I mean performance is now that much worse, that it’s just sad watching BETA and launch videos and CPU load, and comparing it to constant 100% load we have now.

Not everyone can afford to buy new CPU for every new title. And I am not going to buy new CPU for this game (perhaps for Cyberpunk), that worked fine before, but then performance got destroyed by "updates". We played beta, to see how the game will perform. We played a game for almost a year, and it was fine. Now DICE destroys 4 core performance and says that its the way it should be.

Yeah no. You should improve performance over time, not butcher it.
  • JelleMees_Twitch
    312 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

I upgraded from 2 Xeon 5680's to Ryzen 2700x. It's like 50% performance increase. Let's not forget you also still have DDR3 and not DDR4 and PCIE 2.0 and not PCIE 3.0. At leats, my system had those bottlenecks.
  • virtualkill1432
    558 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    eilef wrote: »

You see, when this game launched, people run it well on 4 core CPU and that was enough until start of 2018. Then DICE broke something, and now 4 core CPU can’t even play the game properly. We, players, were able to play just fine for a year, but DICE just destroyed performance with their "patches".

People complained about this game not using multi-threading properly, because they need it to play 144HZ. So DICE, instead of making necessary fixes, and making sure that 4 core CPU can run 60 fps (like they did when game started), and 4+4 or 6+6 could run 144HZ, just butchered 4 core performance, making more costly processors requirement to play the game. I mean performance is now that much worse, that it’s just sad watching BETA and launch videos and CPU load, and comparing it to constant 100% load we have now.

Not everyone can afford to buy new CPU for every new title. And I am not going to buy new CPU for this game (perhaps for Cyberpunk), that worked fine before, but then performance got destroyed by "updates". We played beta, to see how the game will perform. We played a game for almost a year, and it was fine. Now DICE destroys 4 core performance and says that its the way it should be.

Agree about everything you sad, and thats the truth...and yes only cyberpunk will be worth for upgrade..
  • Knuckl3_Dragger

I have a similar X58 RAMPAGE III EXTREME with i7 965x @ 4ghz , fury gfx runs bf1 fine . thinking of the xeon to give me a couple of extra cores but maybe go Ryzen 2 , will be sad to see this great platform go though :)

I thought you had an i7 4930k ?
  • Gattlin
    427 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

I upgraded from 2 Xeon 5680's to Ryzen 2700x. It's like 50% performance increase. Let's not forget you also still have DDR3 and not DDR4 and PCIE 2.0 and not PCIE 3.0. At leats, my system had those bottlenecks.

It's served me very very well. For sure over due for an up grade. I have paitience and will wait until the Meltdown and Spectre are sorted out and then 6-8 core epeen
  • SooperShrooms
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    eilef wrote: »

Yeap what you said. Game ran super fine when it launched and before the updates. Somehow something got broken along the way.
  • Quasar9111
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    i am running an MSI GT83 - overclocked and this is the only game that still comes up with those daft warnings on the right of the screen, its not my router, not the line, not the laptop, just some stupid EA/DICE latency tracking which is rubbish
  • MUH_Cwywardwaah
    1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Quasar9111 wrote: »
    i am running an MSI GT83 - overclocked and this is the only game that still comes up with those daft warnings on the right of the screen, its not my router, not the line, not the laptop, just some stupid EA/DICE latency tracking which is rubbish

Did you try using a cable?
  • liRlPrawn
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited June 10
    Since launch I had a i5 3570k oc'ed to 4ghz which coped fine with BF4 but I saw frequent stutter in BF1 ( 100% CPU usage nearly all the time ) I upgraded to a Ryzen 1600 when it launched and it was like a night and day difference. Stuttering vanished and my cpu usage dropped drastically ( around 30 - 40% )
  • trip1ex
    3503 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    liRlPrawn wrote: »
    Since launch I had a i5 3570k oc'ed to 4ghz which coped fine with BF4 but I saw frequent stutter in BF1 ( 100% CPU usage nearly all the time ) I upgraded to a Ryzen 1600 when it launched and it was like a night and day difference. Stuttering vanished and my cpu usage dropped drastically ( around 30 - 40% )

lol i'm still rocking the 3570k oc'd to 4ghz and beyond.

I got a 3770k i7 coming tomorrow tho. Too lazy and cheap to buy new mb/cpu/ram and reinstall Windows on top of it.
  • TryHard4ever
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited June 13
    should i upgrade anything for BF: V if i want to continue gaming @1440p ultra with stable fps, maybe CPU? I7 4790k to I7 8700k?

My current 3 years and a few months old Rig

CPU: i7-4790k w/ Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
    MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1866Mhz 16GB (8GB x2)
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB x1, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB x1,
    HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB
    Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU
    Speaker: Razer Leviathan 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Bar
    Optical Drive: Samsung DVD Drive
    PSU: Seasonic X850 850W 80+ Gold PSU
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series® Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case
    Post edited by TryHard4ever on
  • UniformGreen
    169 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    should i upgrade anything for BF: V if i want to continue gaming @1440p ultra with stable fps, maybe CPU? I7 4790k to I7 8700k?

My current 3 years and a few months old Rig

CPU: i7-4790k w/ Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
    MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866Mhz 16GB (8GB x2)
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB x1, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB x1,
    HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB
    Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU
    Speaker: Razer Leviathan 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Bar
    Optical Drive: Samsung DVD Drive
    PSU: Seasonic X850 850W 80+ Gold PSU
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series® Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case

No, you will be fine. 8 threads are enough to run all Frostbite games these days.