Weekly Debrief

How I fixed my FPS drops on AMD FX8350 (Results may vary?)

Noodlesocks
2873 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Processor Power Management >
If you're on Balanced, change maximum processor state to some thing below 100% (I use 96%)
If you're on Performance, change maximum and minimum processor state as above.

What I think was happening was when BF1 spiked to 100% on a CPU core, the processor would begin to automatically overclock as per the Turbo Boost function. When this was happening, I noticed my CPU was being throttled. FPS would drop down as low as the 10s and 20s and the game was genuinely unplayable. Making this change seems to prevent the CPU going to 100% and having the turbo function kicking in at all or just preventing the need for throttling. Since making this change I've been getting almost constant 60FPS with everything on ultra where before I couldn't even play on low.

Can't tell you this is a sure fire fix if you're having similar issues but it has certainly improved performance massively for myself and might be worth a try for yourself.

Comments

• Jinko_itx
    714 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    make sure your resolution scale is at 100% and not 200% as that is a common mistake,

also make sure you are not running DX 12 and that the gpu restriction is on,

after doing so, restart for it to clear temp files
  • MUH_Cwywardwaah
    1083 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    What cooling do you have on that heater?
  • BigF33t_13
    6675 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Never should have to do that.
  • enek0id
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    A real fix would be a better CPU cooler... this is just a workaround to mitigate thermal throttling.
  • Rainerdaniel
    108 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »

Why? I have FX8300 at @4.6 and some maps here are horrible like: Tsartyn, Lupkow, Empire's Edge
  • Noodlesocks
    2873 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    enek0id wrote: »
    A real fix would be a better CPU cooler... this is just a workaround to mitigate thermal throttling.

Yup, I got a coolermaster hyper 212 evo. Keeps the CPU cool but I think it was the VRMs overheating because of how it sits on the processor. Will be looking into liquid cooling in the future but until then, Battlefield 1 is running smooth as butter for me.
  • MUH_Cwywardwaah
    1083 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I wouldnt waste money on LC for an fx at this point better save that money for an upgrade instead and you can place a small fan on the vrm heatsinks IF thats the actual issue. You can also mess around with the voltages in the bios to get lower temps at stock. The FX guide at oveclockers has a bunch of good info.
  • Noodlesocks
    I wouldnt waste money on LC for an fx at this point better save that money for an upgrade instead and you can place a small fan on the vrm heatsinks IF thats the actual issue. You can also mess around with the voltages in the bios to get lower temps at stock. The FX guide at oveclockers has a bunch of good info.

It is definitely my biggest regret buying an FX when I did. It was certainly an upgrade over what I had but I haven't been too impressed with it. Had I known Ryzens were just around the corner I would have waited.
  • MUH_Cwywardwaah

It is definitely my biggest regret buying an FX when I did. It was certainly an upgrade over what I had but I haven't been too impressed with it. Had I known Ryzens were just around the corner I would have waited.

Only reason i bought an fx was because of the price at the time ($145). Even for that money the performace in games was just abysmal. And in a lot of games it couldnt even hold a stable 60 fps. Definitely get a ryzen or intel equivalent when you can.
  • BigF33t_13
    6675 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »

Why? I have FX8300 at @4.6 and some maps here are horrible like: Tsartyn, Lupkow, Empire's Edge

I have a 6300 @4.2 ghz, and I hardly have any issues. Just a simple cfg file. That's it. Like I've said 100 times, there's a couple spots on Scar and Emiper's Edge that I do get some drops in to the low 50's. But really, most of the DLC maps run fine. An occasional dip in to the 50's, but that's to be expected with 7 year old CPU architecture.
  • BigF33t_13
    And if you bought an fx cpu in the last 3 years, it's on you. The architecture is from 2011. And even when these CPU's were new, they were low end to middle of the road.
  • Noodlesocks

Only reason i bought an fx was because of the price at the time ($145). Even for that money the performace in games was just abysmal. And in a lot of games it couldnt even hold a stable 60 fps. Definitely get a ryzen or intel equivalent when you can.

Yeah, couldn't afford an intel and the processor I had at the time was way out of date. I think it was only a few months after I bought it that Ryzen was announced. Totally gutted.
  • ZyGViking2121
    660 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    I had my old fx 8320 at 5ghz for 4 years ive owned it for over 5 years i think, it did ok at 1080p, though games like dayz arma yeah it wasnt the best, but at the time at 1600x900 and early 1080p the cpu in my opinion held up pretty good for me considering i bought it for $99 on a black friday deal. Of course 2 or even 3 years ago i wouldn't of reccomened it, i mean something older when there is newer and better well you'd be a fool to recommend it unless it was almost free. The little sucker died by my hands, bent all the pins when it stuck on the cooler when i removed it....

I could say the same for intel with their shady little 10% at best ipc gains. But no competition so why not.

Anyway, there are a ton of am3 boards that say they support the 8 core fx, but really shouldnt run them. If you have naked vrms (no heatsink) and a 4+2 phase board, deffenitly point a fan at them.
  • JonatasA
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I might try this but what did it for me was turning off real-time protection on Windows Defender, game runs smooth now.
  • LemonEddy
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Processor Power Management >
    If you're on Balanced, change maximum processor state to some thing below 100% (I use 96%)

What I think was happening was when BF1 spiked to 100% on a CPU core, the processor would begin to automatically overclock as per the Turbo Boost function. When this was happening, I noticed my CPU was being throttled. FPS would drop down as low as the 10s and 20s and the game was genuinely unplayable. Making this change seems to prevent the CPU going to 100% and having the turbo function kicking in at all or just preventing the need for throttling. Since making this change I've been getting almost constant 60FPS with everything on ultra where before I couldn't even play on low.

Can't tell you this is a sure fire fix if you're having similar issues but it has certainly improved performance massively for myself and might be worth a try for yourself.

Hey thanks for the hint! I have an Fx8320e and after following your suggestion I've solved the stutter problem. Unfortunately it seems that the developers wanted to kill the game so my overall performances in the game have been halved. Patch after patch I went from a solid average of 75 fps in every game to an unplayable average of 35 fps. I've tried everything and followed many guides but judging by the topics in forums it seems that the problem is affecting a big part of the community. Some time ago the game was still playable but now it seems to be broken in all of its aspects.
    I just hope that developers could understand how disrespectful their behaviours have been all these years. I really can't get how they could treat this way a product on which they've worked hard for years and how they can be so deaf to players' voices.
  • Breno343
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Thank you so much, the only thing worked for me, i have the same processor and a gtx 1060 6GB and it fixed my problem, i'm running it on ultra with no problem
  • Noodlesocks
    Glad to know it has been helping some folk :)
  • scr3wy1
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Thx dude.. works perfectly now
  • Braltar
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

You are amazing! It worked! I tried overclocking my CPU, then lowering my settings (which was ridiculous, since I had a 6300 and got better FPS on low settings). Definetly I should upgrade to Ryzen really soon.
  • Will_Shoot4Food
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

You sir are my hero :) I did a ton of T/S steps, but forgot to check the CPU power management. Now after a month I can play the game in a solid 60 FPS instead of 10-60!