PC Upgrade for BFV

xDJ_Cas
557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
Hello dear community,

I understand that I ask this question too early as game was not released at all but I really want to see your commnents and suggestions on my upcoming upgrade if it's really required.

I have:
CPU - i7-3770k OC to 4.5Ghz
Mobo - Asus P8Z77-Pro
RAM 16Gb Corsair Dominator DDR3-2133
GPU - MSI GTX 1080 gpu

I want:
CPU - i7-8700k OC to 5Ghz
Mobo - Asus ROG X Code Z370
RAM - GSkill 2*8Gb DDR4-4133Mhz
GPU - MSI GTX 1080

I don't want to change GPU for now as want to wait for GTX 1180. Do you think that my current set up would be more then enough for 80-120FPS (at least 80). May be someone who saw videos from E3 can suggest if I'm ok with my current set up or I need an upgrade?

Really appreicate for your suggestions guys

Best Regards,
DJ_Cas

Comments

• YourLocalPlumber
    3214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    There was some gameplay of BF5 on 1080, YouTube it.

Your current cpu is a no no, get 8700k.
  • F1aw1ess
    817 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    processor is always the limiting factor for high fps in BF1 and I doubt it will be any different this time round.

8700K is a great choice
  • cameldung
    130 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    How many FPS do you get in BF1? BFV won't be lot more demanding.
    If you have 800-1000$ lying around then go for it. The processor gives you at least 20-30% more performance in games.
  • warslag
    1601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I thought there were some new CPUs out soon?
  • cameldung
    130 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited June 2018
    warslag wrote: »

AMD will have the Zen 2 7nm in (early to mid??) 2019. Until then the 8700K is still the best solution for gamers.
  • Solid_SkG
    1134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I am looking forward to buy an 8700k for this game.

Can anyone tell me if its going to match with the 1060 or it will be a bottleneck?
  • xDJ_Cas
    557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    cameldung wrote: »
    If you have 800-1000$ lying around then go for it. The processor gives you at least 20-30% more performance in games.

Around 90-130 with spikes
  • xDJ_Cas

yeah Intel and AMD announced monsters as 28-core and 32-core CPUs though not sure when they will go in production and when such game will appear on market with such support of cores
  • cameldung
    edited June 2018
    xDJ_Cas wrote: »

The new CPU will help you with these spikes, just dont expect to see too much of a difference in the frame rate (subjectively).
    Since you're already planning on getting the next generation nvidia card, imo, upgrade now. You get a computer that is faster in general and gives you a little smoother performance in games. And you are prepared when the next graphics cards arrive.

Multicore CPUs like the Threadripper and the i9 are expensive and don't help with gaming.
    Solid_Kas wrote: »
    I am looking forward to buy an 8700k for this game.

Can anyone tell me if its going to match with the 1060 or it will be a bottleneck?

No bottleneck, but your max framerate will be limited by your 1060.
  • xDJ_Cas
    xDJ_Cas wrote: »

The new CPU will help you with these spikes, just dont expect to see too much of a difference in the frame rate (subjectively).
    Since you're already planning on getting the next generation nvidia card, imo, upgrade now. You get a computer that is faster in general and gives you a little smoother performance in games. And you are prepared when the next graphics cards arrive.

Multicore CPUs like the Threadripper and the i9 are expensive and don't help with gaming.

Thank you for your suggestion good man. Then will move to i7-8700k as you suggest
  • warslag
    1601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Is the i7-8700k vulnerable to Meltdown and Spectre? I'm also going to get a new CPU and mobo.
  • cameldung
    Is the i7-8700k vulnerable to Meltdown and Spectre? I'm also going to get a new CPU and mobo.

You don't have to worry about that. A new CPU and Motherboard will already be "pre-patched".
    The performance hit that came with these patches is small and shouldn't hurt gaming (maybe 1 %).
  • xDJ_Cas
    edited June 2018

Yes it's affected https://www.pcworld.com/article/3245606/security/intel-x86-cpu-kernel-bug-faq-how-it-affects-pc-mac.html

Though not need to worry about. I doubt that we usual people are needed to someone ...
  • Khaotik707
    584 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited June 2018
    It's not like BFV is going to me much more demanding than BF1 and it's not like you're running on it on a potato.

What you 'want' is certainly decent though, and when I was considering upgrading that's the CPU I was planning to go for, although personally I hate Asus motherboards.