Weekly BF

My hands on unfiltered experience with BFV

MigueTK
679 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
So, I have seen some posts about individual EA play experiences and thought I should add my own after finally having enough time to kill at work. I would like to start off by briefly summarizing the event itself while diving into my personal game play session, I apologize if I get any details wrong please feel free to add your input if I do as it has been a few days and I have a lot of things on my mind. Also, I would have prepared this sooner, but the forum ate my draft so whatever. I will try to answer as many questions as possible but did not have as much in-depth time as some other posters. I will try to organize my thoughts on the game in sections, it might repeat or tie things back into themselves depending on my caffeine level, fair warning.
  • The event itself:
I’d like to start off by saying AWESOME! EA sure knows how to throw a great event for FREE! I went with some friends and we had fun participating in other games and events. There were a lot of games that you could demo with prizes and goodies given out after you participated and could claim them at a prize booth with your ticket wristband, which had an NFC chip tied to your registration email. Pretty cool! I will include some pictures of the venue and the best keepsake of all.

Pros and cons? Don’t know how to organize it all
  • Immersion:
All I would have to say about this is WOW! DICE nailed ***most aspects of the design as always, with top notch visuals and sounds. They truly are the best in the industry, but as we all know great graphics do not make a great game, remember the first Star Wars Battlefront?
  • Classes and guns:
I won’t really go into detail about the classes or weapons because I feel like the youtuber mouthpieces have already covered this better than I could. What I will mention is my critical unfiltered impression of the game without fear of reprisal from EA. R.I.P. revive medics and support resuppliers.
  • So how does the game play and feel?
Well with my limited time with the game I can say is that TTK2.0 was just the tip of the iceberg as many predicted after its release. The game is noticeably faster paced with EVEN FASTER TTK at close range. The damage model and BTK made me feel like we were playing COD with a prettier skin. I stupidly have preferred the team deathmatch mode since Battlefield 3 ( old COD4 [word that is a garden tool & starts with H]), and my stats somewhat reflect that if my score could be normalized and weighted but that does not mean that I think Battlefield should turn into TDM for every mode! Random bullet deviation has thankfully been removed, so accuracy should in theory be better right? I think it was a design choice or maybe a glitch, but I could not ADS a machine gun and basically zoomed in like in battlefront with my crosshairs disappearing and I had to guess where I was aiming, kinda stupid. My friend also mentioned that the tracer bloom for the sniper rifle bullets made it difficult to track his shots and experienced weird expansion and contraction of his bullets, we chalked it up to alpha issues as I did not play scout to confirm.
  • Gameplay:
If I could sum up Battlefield V in one phrase it would have to be this: unsure of itself.

The faster TTK created an unusual sensation for me that is difficult to explain because it is contradictory. Basically, the gunplay felt fast but the gameplay was slow. I will try to explain, while the shooting was very quick and mostly accurate, character movement was inconsistent with the faster TTK. For me at times the sprint speed was difficult to detect and I had to check to see if I really was sprinting. My friends felt the same way, fast TTK slow movement. This of course creates a problem, one where the fluidity of movement is affected and based on what DICE has said (soldiers stumbling feeling more realistic etc.) I think it affects the game in subtle but deeper ways. Maybe it was a combination of factors (FOV, suppression etc.) but I think the movement changes could disturb many players. It was a feeling we could not shake and is the primary reason why our BFV hype was extinguished among other minor things.

The new revive system basically makes the medics useless since it is too slow, I did not get revived by anyone and will make the medic revive skip problem even worse. Gotta show off those sweet cosmetics in your face somehow! The same could be said for resupplies since you have to actively pick out ammo, I had to switch to support as my friends played assault against vehicles and we constantly ran out of ammo. Resupplying from dead enemies was possible but distracting as the player model’s left hand visibly picks up an ammo pouch which obstructed my view, one armed LMG Rambo’s will love this though. Ammo 3.0 will work this time right guys?
  • Archetypes:
My biggest concern would be the Archetypes, I do not see the *gameplay* point of these “extra” classes existing on top of the holy trinity of Assault, Support and Medic (sorry Scouts you are useless without “passive” 3d spotting). In their current implementation I do not understand their inclusion in the game and just add a level of obfuscation to the class roles and selection. Why can’t Archetypes just be a specialized class loadout? I see no difference really. I DO understand the business decisions on why they were added to BFV and that is to drive sales most likely. Maybe EA wants to sell new character archetypes or have exclusive shiny skins for them sort of like operators in RS6, at this point in time I do not know the real reason for their inclusion, so I will pay careful attention to it. My biggest issue against their inclusion is that they are steering slightly towards Battlefront 2 in which statistical/mathematical modifiers to the game are being added. Archetypes have stats tied to them such as suppression effects reduction, sprint speed and something else I forget maybe health regen speed? This is not a good direction for the game and could be worse for the franchise moving forward, even worse than ridiculous cosmetics because they affect actual gameplay.

Whenever Archetypes are mentioned I can’t help but think of the EXO suits in Infinite Warfare and I had the same feeling when movement speed was changed and my loadout kit was restricted from picking different gadgets from the preset ones for the Archetype ( movement speed is subjective most likely but I am VERY sensitive to this as I noticed changes in BF1 after not playing for a while and was correct in my observation back then). I do not like being pigeon holed into an even more specific role for my chosen class without an option to mix and match. For example, I could not select the AT mine and the ammo crate together, I think which was limited to the Engineer Archetype and Machine Gunner Archetypes respectively. Assuming DICE wants the design of the Archetypes to continue in its current form, then I can’t stand behind this choice. Why can’t they just add class perks/specializations like in previous Battlefield’s and call it a day?
  • ***Cosmetics:
I will not mention cosmetics because I have made my stance on them very clear, and do not want to invite any wasted words addressing supporters of it. What I will mention though is the confusion that does happen with enemy players despite their default standard uniforms, which definitely stems from inexperience and lack of familiarity. The difficulty distinguishing friend from foe made me basically shoot at anything that moved and wasted ammo. The reason this kept happening was the lack of HUD elements clearly conveying vital information which takes me to me next point.
  • The HUD and UI:
My assumptions were correct after the terrible release trailer in regard to the HUD and by extent the UI. The HUD chases a minimalist design and disappoints achieving its intended function. Who would have thought white text and icons on a blurred background would be difficult to see on a snow map?/s Sometimes I would forget my health status since it was on the bottom of the screen. I hope DICE gives us the option to rearrange HUD elements or changes the default health bar location because the new health system fundamentally changes gameplay.

The biggest UI issue for me was the mini map and the lack of any compass feature in the HUD, it is very important for me to locate my relative position to my squadmates and the objectives. I felt so strongly about this issue that I spoke to a Dev about it after my session and said they will take this feedback into consideration. I honestly believe the lack of a compass clearly signals the direction of this game. If DICE even remotely cared about tactics or meaningful squadplay, then such a small, trivial, but major feature for the game should not have been missed in an ALPHA build of the game. They got all the other stuff in why not this? Everything they have been saying about meaningful play is just lip service at this point.

The squad nameplate and friendly nameplate indicators need adjustment as they did not appear in my field of view until I was practically within melee distance and thus defeats its purpose. Also, the minimap did not convey squad locations properly, with dead squadmates and teammates appearing as a tiny X mark, green and blue respectively. Maybe the map zoom radius was not to my liking but the map itself still feels too barebones. One positive thing about the minimap was the addition of topography markings offering indicators for vertical sections such as hills and is an excellent addition to the game.

The “bleedout” screen was also practically useless and made the skip to revive feature actually look amazing by comparison. The bleedout timer by default was extremely fast, it took us a while to figure out that we could delay the timer by repeatedly clicking the left mouse button, with a medic callout mapped to the right button. This basically turned the bleedout mechanic into a cookie clicker simulator that offers no positive gameplay benefits. Instead, I can’t believe I am saying this, but I would like to request a return to the skip to revive button and “invert” the bleedout timer to be actively held to skip instead of actively clicked to extend. The design of “active game elements” so to speak also spill out into the resupply and heal functions. Now you have to manually pick up ammo and health, and based on the bleedout implementation and actual gameplay, it is very, very annoying. So far in the marketing DICE has mentioned multiple aspects that require active presses by the player such as ledge grabbing and rolling, I do not want to wear out my buttons by repetitively performing inane tasks.

The squad redeploy screen is fresh and exciting with a third person camera view of the selected squad mate and is a good addition to the game.
  • Conclusion:
Overall my impression was mixed on one hand it was good but not great and my friends also agreed with me, having mixed feelings as well. It is frustrating to leave the event without the massive hype that we thought we would feel once we got our hands on the game. IDK it’s just the way I personally feel right now and stems from my criticisms of the design direction being impacted by business greed.
This post is getting long already, and I did not mention the options settings, respawn mechanics, fortifications, squad commands etc. If anyone would like to hear more just let me know. With that out of the way what do you guys think based on what I have said and what has been shown. Will you buy this game day one or wait and see where it is headed?

Comments

• MigueTK
    679 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Some pictures, I couldn't get many more since my phone died.

Battlefield V Section:
    I6j0UBF.jpg

Exclusive Dog Tag Front:
    jh8i7x3.jpg

Dog Tag Back:
    wxq83w0.jpg
  • von_Campenstein
    6571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I'll just comment on the pressing keys to grab ledges and rolling, I assume this includes vaulting, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many a times I've moved up against a ledge trying to peek over and over I went and other times same scenario I move up against it thinking it would send me over but getting stuck there. A clear action producing a clear result is welcome, not arbitrarily going over or not.
  • MigueTK
    JAREDUP wrote: »
    So cosmetics aren't actually making the game any better, well there you go guys, EA's love for money just ruined another game

A good implementation of cosmetics should not impact the gameplay, in this case for me that wasn't true. Who knows what they will do if they even address this issue.
  • MigueTK
    I'll just comment on the pressing keys to grab ledges and rolling, I assume this includes vaulting, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many a times I've moved up against a ledge trying to peek over and over I went and other times same scenario I move up against it thinking it would send me over but getting stuck there. A clear action producing a clear result is welcome, not arbitrarily going over or not.

Yes that would happen to me so much in BF1 when crouching and pressing the X button to get up and I would vault over a ledge, it trained me to press circle instead to undo the crouch.
  • MHbluey
    739 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    thanks OP, interesting, balanced, read
  • MigueTK
    MHbluey wrote: »

Anything else you want to know or ask?
  • von_Campenstein
    6571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    MigueTK wrote: »

The tone of the dev telling you they'd take that into consideration, was it similar to or identical to your bosses at work politely telling you 'yeah that's not happening'?
  • MigueTK

The tone of the dev telling you they'd take that into consideration, was it similar to or identical to your bosses at work politely telling you 'yeah that's not happening'?

lol I get what you mean, he definitely paid attention to what we had to say and I believe was a genuine statement, I summarized his tone here for brevity. We talked about the mini map, compass and Incursions features that inspired some elements for BFV. I hope he enjoyed his brief stay in sunny Hollywood California, it was hot!
  • gpkgpk
    270 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The faster TTK created an unusual sensation for me that is difficult to explain because it is contradictory. Basically, the gunplay felt fast but the gameplay was slow. I will try to explain, while the shooting was very quick and mostly accurate, character movement was inconsistent with the faster TTK. For me at times the sprint speed was difficult to detect and I had to check to see if I really was sprinting. My friends felt the same way, fast TTK slow movement. This of course creates a problem, one where the fluidity of movement is affected and based on what DICE has said (soldiers stumbling feeling more realistic etc.) I think it affects the game in subtle but deeper ways. Maybe it was a combination of factors (FOV, suppression etc.) but I think the movement changes could disturb many players. It was a feeling we could not shake and is the primary reason why our BFV hype was extinguished among other minor things.

Hmm this is worrysome, myself and most of my platoon and buddies thought gameplay & fun took a severy nosedive after TTK2 (and prev movement changes). Heck, most of the community seemed to hate it (minus the utubers echo-chamber). It led to MUCH more camping and less PTFO (as many had predicted in the beta testing), the game became a LOT less fun and I stopped playing altogether.

From your quote it sounds like gameplay is worse than BF1 post-TTK2?
  • cameldung
    130 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for your detailed report, @MigueTK. I have some questions, if you don't mind.

Did I understand this correctly that you can't choose your gadgets but you have to choose an archetype that has the combination of gadgets you want?

Did you get the impression that the mechanics with low health and ammo will lead to a better squadplay?

What about the squadleader? Did he get something new? Can you still request to be SL like before?

Did you notice all the women screaming? Because it kind of disturbed me when I heard it in some gameplay videos. But maybe you can ignore it while playing because you're concentrated on other things?
  • trip1ex
    4878 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

context sensitive is bad. I hope there isn't a lot of that in there. I haven't seen any talk about pressing keys to vault or grab a ledge.
  • DonSharkito
    797 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks! Good read!

Looks like the game in not really ready atm, but it is pre-alpha. Would be interesting to know if they will move into the right direction.

Personally I think they added all this new animations (for everything) and customisation in priority for their BR mode and the rest of the game suffers from that (but that is my personal tinfoil hat theory).

Knowing Dice and their habit of introducing bugs or problems with anything related to animations (vaulting, proning, bipoding, reviving and so on), I fear that BFV will suffer from that. Were most of the animations smooth in the pre-alpha?

Overall what was you favorite class to play?

Did you have the chance of testing some vehicles?
  • KarmaKinetic
    1143 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    about sprinting: they could/ should perhaps just introduce a sprint timer/ max distance, after that you tire and slow down, and run, instead of sprint. It's also more realistic. So faster movement for a short time, say 5 seconds, after that slower movement. Something like this:

http://urbanterror.wikia.com/wiki/Movement
  • trip1ex
    4878 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    With that out of the way what do you guys think based on what I have said and what has been shown. Will you buy this game day one or wait and see where it is headed?

The slow feeling of the gameplay worries me. I was getting the same vibe from watching the videos on youtube. And I get a similar vibe in BF1. I was hoping the gameplay would be "sped up." A little crazier, zanier exciting etc.

The archetypes are straight out of Incursions. Incursions was just a big test bed for what BFV was going to have. A lot of idea in there are in BFV. And the archetypes are influenced by Overwatch. They are characters basically like Overwatch has.

The reason you can't mix and match many of the things is balance reasons mixed with wanting to have distinctive characters/archetypes I would guess.
  • MigueTK
    gpkgpk wrote: »

Hmm this is worrysome, myself and most of my platoon and buddies thought gameplay & fun took a severy nosedive after TTK2 (and prev movement changes). Heck, most of the community seemed to hate it (minus the utubers echo-chamber). It led to MUCH more camping and less PTFO (as many had predicted in the beta testing), the game became a LOT less fun and I stopped playing altogether.

From your quote it sounds like gameplay is worse than BF1 post-TTK2?

Based on my brief initial impression, yes the TTK is "worse" if you did not like it in BF1, which I did not. You and many others were correct in your judgments on how this would affect playstyles, people were playing much more carefully in BFV with groups clustering together to take on the "dug in" defenders. You would think this would actually facilitate team play, but it did not. While we were within the same virtual space, it was just a chaotic mess with no team cohesion, no ammo no revives no spotting. People can say this is because of the players being randoms off the street, inexperience and all other excuses but it is a sign of what is to come. DICE is pulling us in two directions here, do they want meaningful tactical ( IE slower/careful) play or do they want us to just run and gun? I still find BF1 fun for very short periods of time, but eventually I get tired of it and does not have any longevity based on multiple empty TDM servers during supposed prime time. BF1 is a pretender in facilitating organic team play and cohesion, BFV is heading the same way much more quickly IMO.
  • Natetendo83
    1023 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What you mentioned about cosmetics is something I've noticed too. I couldn't tell who was who. The advantage of classes and factions with limited to no customization is it makes it easier to tell who is who.

Honestly they should just let the customization stand out in Royale but in modes with factions just bring back the faceless soldiers and keep the customization to dog tags and minor weapon skins.
  • MHbluey
    739 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

okay, let's take some of the seriousness out of it all - from a gamer perspective, was it fun? is this a game you can see yourself pouring hundreds of hours into it? if yes, why? if no, why not?
  • Rev0verDrive
    6756 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Sounds like BF 1942/Vietnam (2002 - 2005) game play with better graphics. Based on what you and others from the event have posted it sounds like they are indeed heading back to their roots (real Battlefield).
  • MigueTK
    cameldung wrote: »
    Thanks for your detailed report, @MigueTK. I have some questions, if you don't mind.

Did I understand this correctly that you can't choose your gadgets but you have to choose an archetype that has the combination of gadgets you want?

Did you get the impression that the mechanics with low health and ammo will lead to a better squadplay?

What about the squadleader? Did he get something new? Can you still request to be SL like before?

Did you notice all the women screaming? Because it kind of disturbed me when I heard it in some gameplay videos. But maybe you can ignore it while playing because you're concentrated on other things?

I can answer some but not all of your questions sadly, and I do welcome them. You did understand correctly, I could not switch my weapons or gadgets within the support "subclass" archetype. I barely had any experience with incursions so that's why I couldn't remember them on the spot since I had many other things to ask. I do think that the new mechanics for health and ammo could make squadplay better in theory, but not in practice. I think this will highlight the clan stacking pub stomping problem even more because just one coordinated squad could dominate even further because of these individual player restrictions. While that may seem good for some, I do not think it will be good for Battlefield as a whole. Even within my own squad I felt limited with my friends as we could not do everything, there were only three of us out of 5 on the same stations/squad. We basically ignored the other two players because they were using controllers on PC and were pretty bad and did their own thing. As far as squad leader went, I sadly did not have a good experience with it due to technical difficulties most likely. You can still request to be squad leader from the commo rose, which is almost exactly the same as BF1's layout. After requesting orders my friend did not provide orders so he could let me take over as leader, we couldn't get it to work that we actually just switched computers and moved. After I was squad leader, designating targets was the same as in BF1 with the flag selection expanding slightly downwards from the main radial menu. I could not figure out how to launch a V2 rocket as promised, nor any indication of squad points to even use the new abilities on the HUD. Also, due to technical difficulties our mics were not working, so we pretty much kicked it old school LAN party mode with one earcup opened and yelling at each other lol. Because of that we could hear the general screams, but it was not as distracting for us because we had to communicate with each other. It did get annoying initially while we were trying to use our mics/adjusting audio so fair warning. Headsets provided were Astro A40 TR's I believe.