Visibility

mre95
74 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
Visibility has always been a bit of an issue but with BF1 and now BFV it's becoming near impossible to see what's going on. With all the mass of visual clutter not even including the snow (which isn't quite as bad as i feared it would be), mixed in with the removal of 3D spotting you simply cannot see people the majority of the time. I really hope DICE can do something to make the player models stand out from the environment as aside from the map design it's the single worst thing about the game. I get they want it to be immersive but it is coming at the cost of the gameplay in a massive way, some contrasting colours/extra brightness on the player models, just something to make them stand out is necessary imo.

Comments

• Jumpy-B-L
    554 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    While I agree with you about visual clutter I haven't had problems seeing players to shoot at. I really do think we've been trained to depend on 3d spotting at the expense of actually deciphering what's going on on screen.
  • mre95
    74 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Jumpy-B-L wrote: »
    While I agree with you about visual clutter I haven't had problems seeing players to shoot at. I really do think we've been trained to depend on 3d spotting at the expense of actually deciphering what's going on on screen.

I disagree, i found it damn near impossible to see players in BF1 too. I like the lack of 3D spotting but it allowed the terrible visibility to be overlooked somewhat. In a fast paced situation you simply can't decipher what's going on on screen with the sheer amount of visual clutter, sure if you've already seen someone it's not so bad but actually being able to see people at a glance is next to impossible imo. I worry people think visual clutter is simply the snow effects which aren't nearly as bad as just the general visual clutter and same colour palette throughout the map and players.
  • trip1ex
    3035 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    mre95 wrote: »

I disagree, i found it damn near impossible to see players in BF1 too. I like the lack of 3D spotting but it allowed the terrible visibility to be overlooked somewhat. In a fast paced situation you simply can't decipher what's going on on screen with the sheer amount of visual clutter, sure if you've already seen someone it's not so bad but actually being able to see people at a glance is next to impossible imo. I worry people think visual clutter is simply the snow effects which aren't nearly as bad as just the general visual clutter and same colour palette throughout the map and players.

I feel the same way. I felt like after awhile I just didn't want to go into flag zones because they were laden with not only a ton of cover, but so many pitch black hiding spots. I was like how am I ever going to weed out the lone enemy in that flag zone without dying?

And so instead I just sat around and played a game of chicken with the enemy. Who is going to get bored first and move? At least that is what it felt like to me quite often or at least how the game/map encourage players to play it.

• Tattoxy
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    i agree this alpha map so bad compare to last beta map in BF1 Sinai desert , too many snow / fog effects its become annoying to see this map force you to camp which i dont like
  • mre95
    Tattoxy wrote: »
    i agree this alpha map so bad compare to last beta map in BF1 Sinai desert , too many snow / fog effects its become annoying to see this map force you to camp which i dont like

I think it's better than Sinai tbh, couldn't see anything in that map either but at least this one has a little bit of cover.
  • Jumpy-B-L
    554 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited June 29
    To those who are saying you can't see anything, both in V and 1:
    What's your monitor size?

I have 27" and visibility has not been a problem in either title.
  • Jumpy-B-L

27" 2560x1440 Compare it to a game like BF4 it's like being half blind.

I just don't get it. I don't have great eyesight. I wear glasses. Visibility in B1 and B5 is not a problem for me. I do understand everyone is different.
  • mre95

27" 2560x1440 Compare it to a game like BF4 it's like being half blind.

I just don't get it. I don't have great eyesight. I wear glasses. Visibility in B1 and B5 is not a problem for me. I do understand everyone is different.

You probably just don't care about reaction times the same way i do, i think being able to quickly decipher where enemies are just by scanning the screen is a vital part of FPS games. Probably one of the things i care most about in FPS games whereas others simply play for the atmosphere and such, which is fine but i can't stand looking at someones exact location and not being able to see them personally. Different people focus on different things when it comes to their enjoyment, this is just a big one for me and others i know.
  • TEXls1
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I think some of that is simulating a battle in snow drifts. It comes and goes, I can live it but the sun blast through some objects is an obvious oops.
  • mre95
    The snow isn't what i'm referring too, that's just like a mild annoyance it's not quite as bad as the smoke, sand and gas effects from BF1. I'm talking more about all the textures being pretty much the same and blending together along with the soldiers uniforms.
  • bagh94
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I found difficoult to see enemy players to, especilly from the distance with the scout, also the effect of when you enter in a building or under a bridge (where is all black) and when you step or just look outside (where you are blinded because everything is white and bright) have to be reduce al lot.
  • Aircool_212
    285 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I struggle as well. Snow is snow and I can handle that. However, (as I've mentioned a million times now), the amount of pointless post processing creates a lot of visual noise which just isn't needed when you're trying to work out if those few pixels in the distance are a soldier or a tree.

My situational awareness suffers a lot in this game. I wasn't that much of a fan of the 3D spotting because everyone started playing the minimap rather than what they could see.. However, this game is tough (consequently I had similar problems with Battlefront 2) I just can't see the enemy easily. Ok, yeah, camouflage etc..., but we're playing a game, not a military simulation (although my first impressions of the game is that it's suffering from fundamental gameplay dichotomy). Is it a fast FPS where side strafing player with a scoped rifle has a significant advantage over a kneeling, static player who's aiming down the sights? Or is it a more tactical shooter where marksmanship takes precedence over bunnyhopping?
  • danmotoxx
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager
    To be fair, visibility was an item that has come up on multiple occasions in playtests and at EA Play. Our team will take a look (no pun intended) and investigate various solutions/remedies.
  • mre95
    danmotoxx wrote: »
    To be fair, visibility was an item that has come up on multiple occasions in playtests and at EA Play. Our team will take a look (no pun intended) and investigate various solutions/remedies.

Much appreciated, i'm just worried people will focus on the snow effects and not the outline of the player model if you get what i mean. I'm pretty pleased with how the game is coming along, it's just the visibility being my main concern at the moment.
  • WhiteCheddar1
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I agree, the snow doesn't really bother me. It's the fact I can't see anyone in the distance without a scope unless they are running in the open.
  • EsP-N3XUS
    Absolutly agree on that
  • Jumpy-B-L
    edited June 29
    [

I do humbly suggest we playtest another (not snowy) map before too many changes are made. Visibility feedback is of limited use, given no comparison with a different map.
  • Aircool_212
    285 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Much appreciated, i'm just worried people will focus on the snow effects and not the outline of the player model if you get what i mean. I'm pretty pleased with how the game is coming along, it's just the visibility being my main concern at the moment.

Yes, I should probably mention that there are many positive aspects of the game, but there's no need to mention them at this time as there's more important matters, visibility and fidelity being the primary. Until things improve it's going to be difficult to provide feedback on other aspects of the game because at the moment, I don't feel as though I'm playing the game. Instead I'm just fighting it.
  • G-Gnu
    810 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It´s not only the snow that is a problem, shadows and color pallet is kind of problem too.
    The darkness indoors at day time is a bit too much , feels more like it would fit in a horror game (works great in night time though) , and the paint on the train and the shadows from the train at B flag blends together too much for being daylight.
    Black paint still reflects some light and are not similar to a black hole that eats all photons.