General Liu Storm review (Bolt Action Mode)

2»

Comments

• Imabaka70
    2432 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Imabaka70 wrote: »
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the bolt action G. Liu as well, I've been on vacation away from home

Question to OP:

Thoughts on Factory vs. Storm variants? I'd think that storm benefits more in semi-auto mode for the increased reduction in recoil, but it's hard to judge without hands on

Don't bother with the Factory, because the Factory variant of the Liu doesn't have the new bolt-action fire mode ... only the Storm variant has it.
    Incorrect the factory does have bolt mode I don’t even have the storm variant because of the rifle grenade required to unlock it.

I do t feel it’s op at all sure you can pop heads way out but unlike scout rifles you can not hold your breath to reduce all sway. So it’s not 100% accurate at distance.

It does still further increase the versatility of already the most versatile class. I can revive and heal, clear out objectives and still provide protection against snipers. It's a unique weapon for it's class for sure

Oh no doubt I already service star’d the weapon. Also got quite a few scouts that probably called hacks. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else use this weapon. I wouldn’t doubt that 90% of the player base even knows about the change.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3060 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well, it turns out that the General Liu Factory indeed has a new bolt-action fire mode as well ... I stand corrected. I'd still say that the Storm is better, because I'd rather have some recoil reduction rather than recoil slowing over time, which wouldn't matter much because you only have 6 bullets anyways.
  • robmcewen
    2883 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Had a go with General Liu using the new bolt action but didn't have that much luck with it, don't know if it was ghosting rounds or just my rubbish aim, but I had to switch back to semi-auto, after I did this I had far greater success. Fun gun to use but I don't think it will replace my love of the autoloader extended.
  • ashar_saleem121
    1207 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the bolt action G. Liu as well, I've been on vacation away from home

Question to OP:

Thoughts on Factory vs. Storm variants? I'd think that storm benefits more in semi-auto mode for the increased reduction in recoil, but it's hard to judge without hands on

Don't bother with the Factory, because the Factory variant of the Liu doesn't have the new bolt-action fire mode ... only the Storm variant has it.
    Incorrect the factory does have bolt mode I don’t even have the storm variant because of the rifle grenade required to unlock it.

I do t feel it’s op at all sure you can pop heads way out but unlike scout rifles you can not hold your breath to reduce all sway. So it’s not 100% accurate at distance.

It does still further increase the versatility of already the most versatile class. I can revive and heal, clear out objectives and still provide protection against snipers. It's a unique weapon for it's class for sure

Oh no doubt I already service star’d the weapon. Also got quite a few scouts that probably called hacks. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else use this weapon. I wouldn’t doubt that 90% of the player base even knows about the change.

Also, I think the only people who can fully utilize this change would be good medics who are also good scouts. Before the bolt action mode, the General Liu was not an easy weapon to do well with in any case. It was always high risk and moderate reward, (considering the 1906 and AL8.35 could do it better).

With the addition of the bolt action mode, it only increases the use cases of the gun but doesn't make it any easier to use. So don't expect everyone to be running around with it
    robmcewen wrote: »
    Had a go with General Liu using the new bolt action but didn't have that much luck with it, don't know if it was ghosting rounds or just my rubbish aim, but I had to switch back to semi-auto, after I did this I had far greater success. Fun gun to use but I don't think it will replace my love of the autoloader extended.

There might be an issue with ghosting bullets in bolt action mode. If you look at the last two clips in my OP, you can see some sort of jitter when I ADS in BA mode. Do you see something similar? Couple that with not registering clear hits in the second clip and there might be something dodgy in there.
  • wiazabi
    469 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2018
    Feels wrong having this type of weapon on medic since it actually have both sweetspot + 1 shot kill on headshot but ofc it would be pointless otherwise without it .

A bug with it that i find incredible annoying using ads toggle is , ads shoot -> ads off -> ads on before reload finish makes it go into ads then out of ads as reload finish.

Also very annoying it dont save firemode after death.
  • CS-2107
    1552 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Question to OP:

Also, I think the only people who can fully utilize this change would be good medics who are also good scouts. Before the bolt action mode, the General Liu was not an easy weapon to do well with in any case. It was always high risk and moderate reward, (considering the 1906 and AL8.35 could do it better).

With the addition of the bolt action mode, it only increases the use cases of the gun but doesn't make it any easier to use. So don't expect everyone to be running around with it

There might be an issue with ghosting bullets in bolt action mode. If you look at the last two clips in my OP, you can see some sort of jitter when I ADS in BA mode. Do you see something similar? Couple that with not registering clear hits in the second clip and there might be something dodgy in there.

I also gotta feeling it is ghost bulleting sometimes. And for some reason I perform terrible with it. Need to get used to it.
  • V2Face
    2643 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I love the General Liu before the patch and after the patch. The bolt action mode allows me to switch up my playstyle at different levels of engagements. For all you nerf herder crybabies, it’s balanced by the fact that you will not be consistently dropping players hundreds of meters away due to the lack of a scope variant and will still lose to scouts playing outside of your effective range simple as that.
  • TheGM86
    747 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well, it turns out that the General Liu Factory indeed has a new bolt-action fire mode as well ... I stand corrected. I'd still say that the Storm is better, because I'd rather have some recoil reduction rather than recoil slowing over time, which wouldn't matter much because you only have 6 bullets anyways.
    Spread Reduction > Recoil Reduction.
  • ashar_saleem121
    1207 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    CS-2107 wrote: »

Question to OP:

I also gotta feeling it is ghost bulleting sometimes. And for some reason I perform terrible with it. Need to get used to it.

So that ADS jitter bug is super disorienting and severely affects performance when using the bolt action mode. There were times when I couldnt hit a standing horse because of it.