Any information on loading times?

nulliver26
3 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
I don't check the forums daily, I just returned to Battlefield 1 after a long time and this issues with long loading screens was present when the game released and it's present now that a new game is being promoted.

If there ever was an official response from DICE or EA I've never heard of it but even if there was one the reality is that it still exists in Battlefield 1.

My guess is that the issue has never been the actual game or lack of power of the player's hardware (PC, PS4 or XO) but most likely it's related to servers/network/infrastructure. No other popular online game I have played in the past two years has this kind of long loading times, at least I haven't seen this in Overwatch, CoD Infinity Warfare, CoD WWII. The Division has a long loading time when you start the game, after that the waiting times are good.

My concern is that this could be repeated in Battlefield V. If this is an infrastructure problem (or any other thing), is this being addressed in Battlefield V?

If DICE/EA make a public statement similar to this it would be very much appreciated:

"Hey, we're aware of this issue, loading time sucks, our bad. We really tried to fix this in Battlefield 1 but we realized that we took bad decisions from the beginning when we were building this up. Robert, our network/infrastructure guru warned us about this but we didn't listen because everybody thought he's old school... and here we are. We're really thankful that you kept playing even with this issue, we learned our lesson and good ol' Rob built a kick-**** infrastructure you won't even have time to go pee between matches."

Sure, you can pass that through PR and give us the corporate version but at least let us know this won't happen in Battlefield V.

This thread is also related and it would be really nice to get an answer for this too:
https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/142791/bfv-dedicated-servers/p1

Comments

• dX_Don_Xb
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    i have no issues with loading times, i play on pc.
    what loading do you mean?
  • Rev0verDrive
    6620 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Network connections are done in milliseconds. The vast majority of down time/waiting is for the client to load the map ... Load it to memory.

Landscape, Static meshes, Materials/Textures (Compile Shaders), Static lighting/shadows etc.
  • Popa2caps
    409 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    nulliver26 wrote: »
    I don't check the forums daily, I just returned to Battlefield 1 after a long time and this issues with long loading screens was present when the game released and it's present now that a new game is being promoted.

If there ever was an official response from DICE or EA I've never heard of it but even if there was one the reality is that it still exists in Battlefield 1.

My guess is that the issue has never been the actual game or lack of power of the player's hardware (PC, PS4 or XO) but most likely it's related to servers/network/infrastructure. No other popular online game I have played in the past two years has this kind of long loading times, at least I haven't seen this in Overwatch, CoD Infinity Warfare, CoD WWII. The Division has a long loading time when you start the game, after that the waiting times are good.

My concern is that this could be repeated in Battlefield V. If this is an infrastructure problem (or any other thing), is this being addressed in Battlefield V?

If DICE/EA make a public statement similar to this it would be very much appreciated:

"Hey, we're aware of this issue, loading time sucks, our bad. We really tried to fix this in Battlefield 1 but we realized that we took bad decisions from the beginning when we were building this up. Robert, our network/infrastructure guru warned us about this but we didn't listen because everybody thought he's old school... and here we are. We're really thankful that you kept playing even with this issue, we learned our lesson and good ol' Rob built a kick-**** infrastructure you won't even have time to go pee between matches."

Sure, you can pass that through PR and give us the corporate version but at least let us know this won't happen in Battlefield V.

This thread is also related and it would be really nice to get an answer for this too:
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/142791/bfv-dedicated-servers/p1

I guess you played Bf1 on a console with a slow HDD, A SSD on any of those devices will make BF1 load very quick. It is the hardware of those system not the title.
  • Sixclicks
    4099 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 11
    Loading times were plenty fast enough in the BFV alpa when installed on an SSD. Joining a server took at most 15 seconds. In between rounds was fast as well.

I have no idea how it'll be on console though.

i7-6700k
    GTX 1080
    32 GB RAM
    Everything on my PC running on SSDs
  • trip1ex
    3530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited July 11
    Will be the same as BF1. Console hardware didn't change.

The design isn't a next-gen design. It's essentially a mod of BF1.

• nulliver26
    edited July 11
    That's what I said "My guess...", I'm not an expert in video game performance, I'm just saying that whatever the problem is needs to be considered in the new BFV.

I've heard that answer several times, "it's your hardware, not the game" but I play on Playstation 4, not a PC, I've never needed to modify the Playstation 4 hardware to play any other game, I hope that's not the official answer. If they want me to buy a PS4 Pro to play the game I'm OK with that, just tell me but do not stay silent to the problem.

It might be technically truth that with better hardware load times will improve but if they're selling the game for a console then the problem is whatever they're doing, not the hardware. It's like selling an app for the iPhone X that is slow and then telling the users that the problem is the iPhone X's hardware is not enough.
  • nulliver26
    trip1ex wrote: »
    Will be the same as BF1. Console hardware didn't change.

The design isn't a next-gen design. It's essentially a mod of BF1.

:disappointed:
  • trip1ex
    3530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited July 11
    That's what I said "My guess...", I'm not an expert in video game performance, I'm just saying that whatever the problem is needs to be considered in the new BFV.

I've heard that answer several times, "it's your hardware, not the game" but I play on Playstation 4, not a PC, I've never needed to modify the Playstation 4 hardware to play any other game, I hope that's not the official answer. If they want me to buy a PS4 Pro to play the game I'm OK with that, just tell me but do not stay silent to the problem.

It might technically truth that with better hardware load times will improve but if they're selling the game for a console then the problem is whatever they're doing, not the hardware. It's like selling an app for the iPhone X that is slow and then telling the users that the problem is that the iPhone X's hardware is not enough.

IF you purchase a SSD for your PS4 your load times will decrease substantially. However, the game will still have 1-2 minutes in between rounds so it doesn't matter if you load the next map faster than that in between rounds. I even put my BF1 install back on my hard drive on my pc because other than the initial load, the time in between rounds is the same. IN a multiplayer game you don't want to start the game before everyone is loaded in so it has to bow down to the lowest common denominator.

The game has longer loads times because the scope of the game is much bigger than OverWatch or CoD. larger maps plus vehicles and better graphics than those games as well I believe or at least more photo realistic. Overwatch saves on loading times not just because of smaller map size and no vehicles, but cartoony graphics as well. In the end there is just way more data to load for a BF1 map because of these differences.

The loading time when you start the game is what it is. Not sure what they are loading there. I know they have to connect to EA's network and maybe that's the cause of that delay besides loading the front end etc. It's also a reason for the 1-2 minute delay in between rounds.
  • nulliver26
    Thanks for the info @trip1ex

1-2 minutes between matches is perfectly fine for me, what I don't like is the long time on the "Loading..." screen and even worse when you quit the game between matches it stays probably the same amount of time in the "Quit" screen too!

I don't think I'd buy an SSD for my PS4, I'd really need to fall in love with BFV to buy it. I'll keep checking the game after release to see how bad is the loading time.

But you're right, the graphics are way better and more impressive than any of the other games I mentioned.
  • trip1ex
    Thanks for the info @trip1ex

1-2 minutes between matches is perfectly fine for me, what I don't like is the long time on the "Loading..." screen and even worse when you quit the game between matches it stays probably the same amount of time in the "Quit" screen too!

I don't think I'd buy an SSD for my PS4, I'd really need to fall in love with BFV to buy it. I'll keep checking the game after release to see how bad is the loading time.

But you're right, the graphics are way better and more impressive than any of the other games I mentioned.

Not sure why it takes so long to quit. ONly DICE could answer that. Off the top of my head I think it has to do with the game connecting to the cloud to save the data of the game and your personal data. And then record all the medals/stats stuff etc. I would assume all that could be improved. At the same time doubt it's a high priority as long it (mostly) works. Kind of EA's motto. Does it mostly work? Ok we're done. :)