Low settings, low fps but 10% gpu usage

NegusOfIndia
2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Intel i5-4460
AMD RX 480 GB
8 Gigs Ram

I am getting horrible fps while playing the game, but the game is only using around 5-15% of my GPU and 50% of my CPU. The settings are on the low preset and I've tried switching to DX12, but it just uses more of my CPU and does not change for my GPU.

200+ fps in menus
20-40 in-game

If it helps, sometimes for some odd reason if I open the in-game menu for a bit and close it, my GPU usage jumps to around 30% and I get around 70 fps but after about 30 seconds it drops back down.

Game running in DX12 (DX12 off looks almost exactly the same)
HQguuuo.jpg

rgBqeId.png

Comments

• MoJoTheEvil
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    just looked ingame and mines using just over 8gb of memory

if you use msi afterburner using the overlay and have it so it shows your gpu/memory usage and cpu/ram usage ingame you might see that your using all your system memory. assuming your running @1080p

hope it helps you
  • Violent_Rumble
    296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

if you use msi afterburner using the overlay and have it so it shows your gpu/memory usage and cpu/ram usage ingame you might see that your using all your system memory.
    Yeh 8Gb installed and nearly 1Gb is used just for chrome!

• NegusOfIndia
    just looked ingame and mines using just over 8gb of memory

if you use msi afterburner using the overlay and have it so it shows your gpu/memory usage and cpu/ram usage ingame you might see that your using all your system memory. assuming your running @1080p

hope it helps you

Thanks for the help. I checked and yeah the game is using almost all of my VRAM and RAM, but I have found something interesting. I found out that if I change to the Ultra preset and up the resolution scale up to 150%, I get around 50-60 fps with 80-90% GPU usage.
    Fjh7W3M.jpg
    This solution is not ideal though because of the constant drops to 30 fps that happen while in combat. Also changing the resolution scale higher than 150% does up my GPU usage more but I just get worse fps, and dropping it below 150% gives me low GPU usage with low frames. Using any other graphics preset with the resolution scale up just gives me the same performance as with the Ultra preset. I don't know if this will help, but I found it interesting.
  • NegusOfIndia
    After a bit of tinkering, I have found the solution for anyone who is having this same problem.
    1. Go into your Power Options in windows control panel
    2. Click on change plan settings
    3. Select advanced power settings
    4. Go through PCI Express\ Link State Power Management \ Setting
    5. Select the "Off" setting
    5. Restart your PC
    My PC was on moderate power savings, which was the cause of my low GPU usage. Now I get 95% GPU usage with 90 fps on Ultra settings.
  • Juun89
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I had the exact same problem. For me the fix was setting the resolution scale to anything but 100% (110% for example), been playing fine ever since. Thank you.
  • Titan_Awaken
    102 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Juun89 wrote: »
    I had the exact same problem. For me the fix was setting the resolution scale to anything but 100% (110% for example), been playing fine ever since. Thank you.

Look at the date of the previous post.

Necro.
  • AshkaliN
    282 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    No one's gonna comment about the graph? It seems your CPU can't keep up with the game. This game is very CPU demanding.
  • Titan_Awaken
    102 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    AshkaliN wrote: »
    No one's gonna comment about the graph? It seems your CPU can't keep up with the game. This game is very CPU demanding.

No one is gonna comment because this thread is a 6 month old necro. There's nothing more to it than that.