Server issues are *fake news* apparently, live support shut us down.

Rombibombii
573 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited July 2018
Yeah nothing new here actually. Just going to share this joke of two Tweet stories with EA Help customer support from our side. Apparently there were no server issues while I was making and sharing those screenshots, it was fakenews in a way then. To make it even more fun, when contacting EA Live support it was once again made clear that it's the players with bad connection to the server, not the server who is having issues. In both instances EA stopped providing support by either ignoring tweets or simply shutting down the live chat service.

We're not even suprised.

The beginning of story #1:

The beginning of story #2:

We were all told to do this guide: https://help.ea.com/en-in/help/faq/opening-tcp-or-udp-ports-for-connection-issues/

So keep in mind people! When you have server issues, make sure YOUR ports/internet are working correctly! Because the SERVERS ARE FINE!

However, credits to Redspoder from DICE who actually wants this info and uses it. Acknowledging that there is in fact something wrong with the servers. Funny how DICE acknowledges the issues while EA just says it's fake.

Comments

• -Antares65z
    1635 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2018
    Yeah nothing new here actually. Just going to share this joke of two Tweet stories with EA Help customer support from our side. Apparently there were no server issues while I was making and sharing those screenshots, it was fakenews in a way then. To make it even more fun, when contacting EA Live support it was once again made clear that it's the players with bad connection to the server, not the server who is having issues. In both instances EA stopped providing support by either ignoring tweets or simply shutting down the live chat service.

We're not even suprised.

We were all told to do this guide: https://help.ea.com/en-in/help/faq/opening-tcp-or-udp-ports-for-connection-issues/

So keep in mind people! When you have server issues, make sure YOUR ports/internet are working correctly! Because the SERVERS ARE FINE!

However, credits to Redspoder from DICE who actually wants this info and uses it. Acknowledging that there is in fact something wrong with the servers. Funny how DICE acknowledges the issues while EA just says it's fake.

Geeez, I guess the other 63 players on my server also need to check their ports/internet, being that all 64 get dropped from the server at the same time. It's pretty much guaranteed that it will crash and dump everyone after the first round of the day.

After reading your post, I'm pretty convinced that they're just going to walk away and not fix this problem. I've never seen a game go backwards in terms of developing more bugs and issues than what it had in the beginning. Then the TTK 2.0 change had to be one of the biggest jokes ever. Aren't games supposed to become more polished with each update? In all honesty and laugh if you may, I think what is going on has been planned by EA to kill this game off by the end of the year. They don't want people playing BF1 for much longer, they want you to buy BF5. One way to get rid of players is by getting rid of rented servers where many of the same players go each day to meet up with their friends. IMO, EA has done everything possible to discourage the success of rented servers. One of their Mods will comment here on how ridiculous my statement is.
  • CLB_Geoff
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Server performance in Operations has been AWFUL pretty much from the BF5 reveal until now. At one point a battlefield-centric discord I'm in took a straw poll and the majority of players has seen increased server latency and rubber-banding.

I cannot for the life of me understand how they are announcing the release of BFV, turning on an alpha, and getting people interested in coming back to BF1 to kill time... and players are coming back get server latency, rubber banding, and crap performance. I've been choosing server not by what map they are playing, but if the server is stable. Normally there is at least 1 stable US East Ops server.

I wish I had any idea how to get this information out to the engineers that work for EA and actually host the servers. They obviously don't play their game anymore or someone would have noticed that performance has dropped through the floor.
  • Rombibombii
    573 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    IMO, EA has done everything possible to discourage the success of rented servers. One of their Mods will comment here on how ridiculous my statement is.

In all honesty, we've been feeling the same for a while now as, despite all reassurances, the community has been getting sidelined more and more. While the 'community' (the one through Youtube and such) has been getting more attention. But that 'community' vs our community are quite different. The other one is just a bunch of players using matchmaking. Our community is the part where people indeed pick servers to meet up with friends, get connections, have fun and spend their time with.

I also keep reffering to, where are those BIG platoon updates that were promised? All that happened is the initiation of the Platoon feature and that was literally it. What happened to the 250 members per platoon, the 500 character descriptions? The more room for links and such. What happened to real community and platoon play?

I know what happened, it got ignored because this part needs investment, moneywise and it won't bring immediate profit but it would bring profit in the long term. But that is long term and which company goes for long term these days? Short term profit, ditching support, new product and short term profit again is the way to go.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1432 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Well, there seems to be a pleasant glitch out oof the server browser, that shows nothing but rented servers. I'm having the best time this game offered playing on them. SIR on, 50% respawn, 125% damage, no aim assist etc seem to be the big ones going. If you can get players from the onset, who knows, the server may take off. I'd do it before they fix the glitch though lol.
  • -Antares65z
    1635 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well, there seems to be a pleasant glitch out oof the server browser, that shows nothing but rented servers. I'm having the best time this game offered playing on them. SIR on, 50% respawn, 125% damage, no aim assist etc seem to be the big ones going. If you can get players from the onset, who knows, the server may take off. I'd do it before they fix the glitch though lol.

It's a shame that EA chose to hide the Custom servers. Let me emphasize CHOSE because that is what they did. Back in November, the Custom servers one day suddenly appeared in the regular browser with default filters. This in turn spawned A LOT of new rental server business, as players could finally customize the server as they wanted with stuff like SIR being available to all, more tickets, faster respawn, planes turned off but ground vehicles still available, etc etc. EA's response to the Custom servers showing up was that it was due to a "bug". So if it was due a "bug", does that mean that the browser was designed to NOT show Custom servers with default filter settings? Why would they do that? Funny how the Custom servers then disappeared two months later. Custom servers is what breathes longevity into a game. It provides different flavors, variations of game play that helps keep people interested in playing it over the long run. The default/official settings get boring after awhile. EA doesn't want this game to have the longevity of BF4. They want you buying a new game every 1-2 years.
  • Rombibombii
    A lot of old games are still running because of communities hosting servers on them. Today it is seen as bad for business but ironically, those old games spark players to potentially get the newer game. But ehh, investment means you see some red numbers and that's bad. Despite those numbers turning green big-time eventually. But noooo it must be green from the start, but little do they realize it renders less revenue that way.
  • CrashCA
    1006 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Agree, still drop into BFBC2, BF3 & BF4 servers on a regular basis. All community run and fun !! Something I fear we will not see going forward with new titles.
  • Rombibombii
    Gonna bump this a bit. The issues are still present. Our live chat attempts get closed instantly and we do not get any response anymore on Twitter. This is how EA deals with issues :D
  • DigitalHype
    768 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I've noticed lately on the few RSP servers I play on, the servers are often struggling to keep the tickrate required for 60hz. I'm seeing tickrates go up over 20ms. Players are all reporing the same yellow/orange/red "server icon".

Maybe they've screwed something up in the last client update, and it taxing the RSP servers too much. Or the hosting provider has done something on the VM's, or they've started collapsing more instances onto the same iron.

On official servers (different hosting I believe), the problem isn't as prevalent. But, I'm sometimes seeing it there too. This all seemed to start in the past week or so. Prior to that I almost never saw the server icon during gameplay.
  • CrashCA
    1006 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Same here, tried a couple of rented ones last night with same server icon appearing, have not tried "Official" ones yet (too toxic)
  • Rombibombii
    Servers are still done by i3D and they are notorious for cramming too many servers on a single machine :(
  • Jaskaman
    647 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Servers are still done by i3D and they are notorious for cramming too many servers on a single machine :(
    Only dutch servers are done By i3d.... And yes they are known from that.
    Servers were extreme laggy yesterday (9th of August).
  • Jaskaman
    647 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Today -lagging / rubberbanding again....
  • SemperFi-Bunny
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    here we are still experiencing **** quality of servers!
    despite many calls to support, and many questions raised, we still have to deal with this crap on a daily basis
    here is a link to some video taken today with graph up, please dice, EA, devs can you actually muster a hint of interest and look into it??
    we are getting beyond fed up with the constant abuse in game from players due to extremely poor quality service we pay for
    in my business if I provided customer service and poor products like this I would be sacked or go bankrupt. enough is enough - but I know i'm wasting my time and energy highlighting what has been highlighted a million times before

• SemperFi-Bunny
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited August 2018
    look at downstream spikes starting really bad at just after 4 mins and continuing constantly for ages, makes game unplayable
  • Rombibombii
    edited August 2018
    Match few hours before the one just posted:

Eventually server tick even goes down a lot. The server is (even right now) rubberbanding a lot.
  • Rombibombii
    edited August 2018
    Today when I logged in to BF1 I encountered this lovely view. Take a guess which servers are unplayable...

• stewiei3d
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hi - first of all, thank you for playing the games we love and great to see you're activly renting Battlefield servers. There are a few aspects we should help with;
    the speedstest results you had posted measure throughput from your PC to a file hosting location located close to you. This only speaks for the connectivity between that very specific ISP and your computer. A game is very different: it uses very low bandwidth, but is very sensitive to packet loss and latency between the game server and the gamer. There is not chance to resend packets, so unlike a download, games are using UDP, and with realtime communication, are fire and forget. This is the reason why a good network will improve gameplay.
    There are a couple of things that may help if you experience issues, and by far the #1 is to create a MTR to the server when playing and experience issues, and reporting this MTR to EA. Alternatively, if you see the server is hosted by i3D.net and you experience a strange latency increase, please do reach out to us. i3D.net has relations with many ISPs. If this latency problem is still the case, would you mind forwarding a MTR to the network team so they can troubleshoot?

See https://www.i3d.net/myip/ for how to send the MTR to the network team.
    With the MTR the server is also identified and a check can be made on the server. I see there is a lot of distrust and you wrote you believe we intentionally crash servers when you rented a BF4 pc server with us. That's unfortunate, and as our client, we extend an open invite to call anytime to discuss any of the issues. Just ask to speak to teamleader of our game operations. If you prefer face to face, you're also welcome at our office if that helps getting the support you need.
  • Rombibombii
    stewiei3d wrote: »
    Snip.

Hi thanks for the reply, I've personally actually done this with EA and at first they had me connect to the USA and telling me I had packetloss and high ping which would cause it, which was funny because that is not surprising from the EU (minus the packetloss part that is my ISP doing some ....) When I did this to the EU servers it was 100% clean.

The thing is, is that the "server performance" icon shows up for 100% of the players lately. This icon is either orange or even red and it has been going on for weeks now. Last few days even servers keep disconnecting everyone. It is not a player sided issue, the issue is 100% on the end of the servers. The official icons show this and this has even already been acknowledged by known (volunteer) BF moderators and even a few DICE developers.

We've spoken with EA which kept saying it was our fault and well of course we got mad because it's a few thousand of players who are experiencing this and we're all seeing the same thing.

Here is one of the tweets that includes the official "chart" to identify problems. The one we are dealing with is on the far left with the name "server performance".

To add to this, we are known with other games as well and we know that when the servers are dealing with too much stress then they start to show lag/rubberbanding. This is exactly what has been happening in BF1 for ages now. We personally even we're customer with i3D for a while and left because we learned that our issues with the servers back then on BF4 (which are 100% the same issues we are now seeing in BF1) were caused by the simple fact that there were too many servers crammed on a single machine. Given that we're dealing with the same host for the NL servers in BF1 and it appears to be limited to NL most of the time we personally think that this is happening yet again.

Another issue could be a memory leak caused by the game, but I think that would've been seen and solved by EA/DICE by now.