GPU help pls

EdwinSpangler
1771 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
I know im asking for PC tech help on a battlefield website but im trying to get as much info as possible, maybe someone knows whats up..

Found an old gtx 460 that im trying to put into an older system and having some seriously frustrating problems.. I have spent 2 full days going thru the obvious solutions I find ALL OVER the PC forums..

I CANNOT get display out of the gd thing in this specific PC (i5 4460/win10) But listen to this, this is where it get strange.

This GPU does work, plugged it into another machine and it ran just fine BUT..

In the 4460 machine, if the 460 is plugged into the PCIe slot there is absolutely NO display signal being sent out from either the GPU or the on-board outputs. Plug a 970 into it, that works!?! Ok maybe the 460 wasnt seated properly. Nope, 460 still dont work.

Tried multiple monitors, wires, adapters, ect...

So, I can confirm the GPU works AND other GPUs work in the PC. Just the 460 giving me problems..

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated but remember, Ive spent hours and hours trying all the crap youll get from searching google..

Thanks.

Comments

• McFoaners
    351 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Have you tried deleting gpu driver with DDU, shutdown, switch 460 in the slot and restarting?
  • Violent_Rumble
    316 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Only noticeable difference in cards is the bus support? What make and model of mobo are you using?
    gtx 970 - pcie 3.0
    gtx 460 - pcie 2.0x16
  • EdwinSpangler
    1771 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    McFoaners wrote: »
    Have you tried deleting gpu driver with DDU, shutdown, switch 460 in the slot and restarting?

Yea, even used it in safe mode as it reccomends.. Ran all three. Intel, AMD, and Nvidia just to be sure.
    Only noticeable difference in cards is the bus support? What make and model of mobo are you using?
    gtx 970 - pcie 3.0
    gtx 460 - pcie 2.0x16

Its a stock board from an old aspire tc 605..

ALSO I WAS MISTAKEN. The CPU is a 4440 not 4460.. Dont think that matters tho.

I have now ALSO tried a 750 that did not work, and 750 that DID work, and a 650 that DID work.. WTFF?!?

I want to put this 460 in there.. I dont want to put the 750 in cause thats for another project, I want to solve this issue.

• Jumpy-B-L
    682 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Updated BIOS? I know it's an old retail PC board, but heh.
  • McFoaners
    351 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Could it be a problem with the case? What I mean by that is if it worked in another case there might be something off with pci slot of the case. Card might not be seated properly.
  • BigF33t_13
    6629 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I'd assemble it outside the case, only connecting necessary hardware and see if you get a signal.
  • ackers75
    2214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe power supply.
    That 460 I would have thought would need a bit more juice
  • EdwinSpangler
    McFoaners wrote: »
    Could it be a problem with the case? What I mean by that is if it worked in another case there might be something off with pci slot of the case. Card might not be seated properly.
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »
    I'd assemble it outside the case, only connecting necessary hardware and see if you get a signal.
    Im gonna do this. Was told the same thing by a shop tech but thought he was talking out his *** just to tell me something because I was so persistant/annoying.. It IS an aftermarket case however.
    ackers75 wrote: »
    Maybe power supply.
    That 460 I would have thought would need a bit more juice

Its not a stock PSU, I think its a 650 gold.. Seasonic.

Jumpy-B-L wrote: »
    Updated BIOS? I know it's an old retail PC board, but heh.

Recently found out there is an updated version but the process seemed a little intimidating. Gonna try this also tho.

Wish me some effin luck here..
  • BigF33t_13
    6629 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Good luck. I don't see it being a bios issue. It is possible, but I would doubt it. I have had a PC that worked perfectly fine in one case, and act wonky in another, just to have it work fine again in the old case. Just start with the least amount of stuff connected to the motherboard. No optical drive, hdd, gpu, etc.Just motherboard, keyboard and connect the monitor to the onboard graphics port. If you can boot to the bios, add the video card and connect the monitor to that. If it boots to the bios add the hdd/ssd that your OS is on, and see if you can boot to that. If all is good, put the everything you have connected so far back in the case.
  • Sechnaill
    992 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Is the gtx 460 bios stock, or did someone do an update its bios making it work as a different card?
  • EdwinSpangler
    Sechnaill wrote: »
    Is the gtx 460 bios stock, or did someone do an update its bios making it work as a different card?

No its a stock "galaxy/fermi" I think its called.. I bought it brand new way back.

Remember tho, the card works fine in my main PC. And the PC it does not work in, several others cards DO work in.

Still gotta do the two things I indicated above however..
  • MUH_Cwywardwaah
    1083 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Did you make sure the pc isnt using the integrated gpu of the i5 as default?
  • BigF33t_13
    I still wouldn't rule out something being wrong with the card.
  • EdwinSpangler
    Did you make sure the pc isnt using the integrated gpu of the i5 as default?

It is using the integrated Intel HD4600.. Im not seeing anywhere that there is an option other than removing the drivers for it and installing the GTX drivers but I cant get a display whatsoever when the card is plugged into the MB..

Im starting to lose hope and thinking im gonna have to settle for a less than desirable solution (putting in a different card)..

have now done everything above and nothing is working..
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12344 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited July 2018
    If your integrated GPU is enabled, It will automatically be the primary card.

You'll need to disable IGPU in your bios and then try the Dedicated GPU.

-Edit-
    Also putting in a more beefy psu may help.

Just for reference I have a Corsair 850W PSU to run my rig ( i7 4790k + GTX 970 )
    Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on
  • EdwinSpangler
    Just updating here but turns out the solution was to throw money at the PC. Swapped a 50$ MB into it and it works now.. Must have been the PCIe slot huh?

• McFoaners
    Just updating here but turns out the solution was to throw money at the PC. Swapped a 50$ MB into it and it works now.. Must have been the PCIe slot huh?

Everything is better when you throw money at it.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12344 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    ^this

Throwing money at components isnt necessarily a bad thing anyways, it keeps your hardware current.