My Peeve with Heligoland Bight

SlugSniper
730 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Looking at image depictions of Heligoland in WWI, there are three very prominent features that simply aren't there on the BF1 map.

1. A good-sized town on top of the cliffs, including stairways up to it.
2. Tunnel-bunker systems inside of the cliffs.
3. A huge industrial harbor area.

I could understand access to the tunnels and the town to be a bit of a balance issue, but they should at least be there as historical aesthetics. As for the harbor, that was very unlike DICE to leave out.

DEPz9FKXoAEVnb7.jpg

Comments

• TheXBOXFan
    96 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Wow I would love to see how this map would work out if it was designed this way, it looks interesting. If it would've been designed this was there is something for everyone''s playstyle. Assults could fight in the tunnels, the supports in the town at the harbor along with medics and scouts on the outskirts. Along with air and sea vehicles, this map could be a way better version than the one in the game.

• MegaloDorian
    861 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    DICE LA obviously designed the map to be focused around naval combat, as was the real battle. As such, it would further ruin the flow of the map (even if it's already terrible as is) if infantry players decided to randomly hole up in any one of the dozens of houses featured.

Otherwise, I do think the historical layout would make for an awesome infantry map.
  • Sixclicks
    3279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 30
    It looks a lot more interesting than the map we have in-game, which I completely avoid playing on ever. When that map comes up, it's an insta-quit from the server for me.
  • dA_9_eL_81
    1335 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    TT was a major let-down by Dice in regards of mapdesign and also in regards of release by splitting it up in two... I can not imagine how rushed Heligoland must have been since 90% of the map is basical not accessable or plain water...

They could have reused some of the houses from Soisonnes and part of the harbour from Zeebrugge to make the map somehow interesting... As it is for now the map is IMO the worst map in BF-history...!

(And yes I have played Conquest Large on The Block on Hardline)
  • ProAssassin2003
    1674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    A tunnel at C to the other side of the Map would literally make this map tons better.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    3330 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Let's be honest here. LA's focus was definitely the simulation of big naval combat which it failed to achieve. And because of that there were no intentions to expand the map to its real life size. Also LA's poor map design skills will never allow us to see anything decent. There is nothing can be done anymore.
  • ProAssassin2003
    1674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Let's be honest here. LA's focus was definitely the simulation of big naval combat which it failed to achieve. And because of that there were no intentions to expand the map to its real life size. Also LA's poor map design skills will never allow us to see anything decent. There is nothing can be done anymore.

Yeah the Ship on Ship combat is god awful.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    778 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    My pet peeve with this map is that it somehow gets voted every time now. Takes 30 minutes to run from one end of the map to the other only to be killed by a destroyer.
  • dA_9_eL_81
    1335 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    My pet peeve with this map is that it somehow gets voted every time now. Takes 30 minutes to run from one end of the map to the other only to be killed by a destroyer.

Not even kidding... I once saw Legoland being voted for in favour of Amiens...! Worst day of my life!
  • V2Face
    2461 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They could have balanced this map better by not making the torpedo boats so prominent on the map. Reduce range damage of torpedo boats that spam 100 meters away from Destroyers and Dreadnoughts. I try and stay out of the water because how flimsy the boats can be.
  • zenn_nme
    192 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I gotta say I love the looks of the smaller island with the dunes & grass, kinda reminds me of the coastline back home, but the larger island is indeed lacking.
  • Obsidiann6
    65 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Helgioland is fine. Only the naval combat could have been made a little more balanced. I will vote it over Amiens everyday, as Amiens has been played to death.
  • StretchyBlackMan
    49 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I think Heligoland is kinda fun, as an infantry player and vehicle player.

You should have seen the first version in CTE. Now that was vehicle hell
  • SlugSniper
    730 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I do like the map. It just bugs me that we don't at least have an aesthetic town on top of the cliffs.

The harbor and one good tunnel through the cliffs would indeed make the map a thousand times more interesting. Once BFV is released, hopefully some focus can be shifted to fixing things like this.
  • Noodlesocks
    1066 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Map is pretty good on land but the naval combat is pretty underwhelming because destroyers are so weak. Paper thin armour, tiny play space, weak guns, low velocity cannon rounds, don't even have emergency repair. The only thing the destroyers have going for them is their dreadnought call in but even the blimps have that.

Same problems on Zeebrugge. The destroyers are just far too weak.
  • Puckerbucket
    678 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I've also seen photos of the historic site, and mostly my platoon mates are incredulous when I tell them that there was actually a small town on top of that monolithic mountain... However, I am impressed with the similarities in the design to the real location (stone pillars and such), and I know that their focus was on the naval action. The map includes a vast water portion as well as the coastlines; if the village on top and the tunnels underneath were included, I would have to think the sheer size of the map would simply dwarf a 64 man game, and absolutely stretch the limits of map design and processing at this time. BUT, you know what would have been cool? A second map to focus on the mountain top and town... combined with the present map into a shock operations type game.
  • Foot_Elite_Tomei
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Heligoland, even its current state without much of map roaming possibilities, is my favorite infantry map. Adding tunnel-bunker network inside a cliff would make it better. Would remind me of Wave Breaker from BF4.
  • SlugSniper
    A new flag at the new Harbor area and then a tunnel system between it and Bunker Beach would be perfect.
  • Sixclicks
    3279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 31
    I'm not really much of a vehicle user. So the map simply doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't want to spend forever just trying to walk from one side of the island to the other. The only thing I like about fighting boats as infantry is destroying them with K bullets and sniping their gunners and drivers.

Which is something I can enjoy much more as infantry on a map like Zeebrugge.

The whole overabundance of torpedo boats and Destroyers that get sunk with torpedoes coming from such long distances away just doesn't appeal to me at all. If there was more variety in naval vehicles and the balance was better, it could.
  • MegaloDorian
    861 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Legoland is pretty terrible right now, but Zebraburgers isn't much better, honestly. In Conquest Assault, it isn't a very good idea to give the defending team an equal amount of vehicles as the attacking team has. That's especially when the attacking team starts out at sea and the defending team also has a plethora of defensive stationary weapons. It's like Nosehair Canals with the pre-nerfed AA all over again.