Weekly BF

UK servers with very low ping and 'weird' misses

disposalist
8661 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
edited August 2018
I just had a horrible thought... I had a really 'off' feeling with being able to hit (I missed a lot and I'm not that bad) enemy in the alpha this time and just realised I was surprised there were UK servers where I had a ping of around 10.

Could having a very low ping compared to everyone else be effecting me?...

Comments

• Rev0verDrive
    6751 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I just had a horrible thought... I had a really 'off' feeling with being able to hit (I missed a lot and I'm not that bad) enemy in the alpha this time and just realised I was surprised there were UK servers where I had a ping of around 10.

Depends on their ping. If it's over 100ms and they are moving (sprinting) or peeking then yes. Ping isn't the only concern though. Their Loss% and Jitter% matter just as much, if not more in some cases.

e.g. low ping with 10%+ loss and jitter can be worse than a 200ms ping. It also affects server performance.
  • Vycinas2
    932 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It depends if they made some changes to netcode. Up until BF1 netcode always served well for those with high ping. However having said that there could be issues with the server itself like its out of sync. Pretty much daily occurance on Bf4 these days.
  • disposalist
    8661 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Just tried a US server with ping 89. It gave me the High Latency symbol (89? High? Really?) but gunplay felt no worse (ie. it was just as bad).

Tried another 9 ping UK server. No symbols but still felt weird, then got constant packet loss. I have an external server pinging me to check my internet. I don't have packet loss.

Tried a 19 ping german server. Get latency, latency variation and some packet loss symbols. The experience was not great.

Tried another 19 ping server. Got no symbols. Experience was ok, but still random FPS drops and tiny sight drifting weirdness.

Tried BF1. All fine.

I can't test gunplay with the BF5 servers or 'netcode' or whatever it is like this.
  • disposalist
    edited August 2018

Depends on their ping. If it's over 100ms and they are moving (sprinting) or peeking then yes. Ping isn't the only concern though. Their Loss% and Jitter% matter just as much, if not more in some cases.

e.g. low ping with 10%+ loss and jitter can be worse than a 200ms ping. It also affects server performance.
    Thanks for the info. I'm pretty consistently getting weird clunky gunplay as soon as I open fire like the netcode freaks out when bullets start flying. Tried all manner of servers and none of it was much fun (whilst various BF1 servers are great).

It's alpha. I guess, test the big things (but I did that in alpha 1)...