Some Horsing thoughts

13»

Comments

• Hawxxeye
    6314 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    CS-2107 wrote: »
    diagoro wrote: »
    Did they adjust damage? I was taking insane damage from 'normal' weapons the one round I just played. An smg took me down to 30% without reloading in one case, and others were doing the same. That said, the sounds were also screwed up, got killed by an art truck, but it sounded like a rifle shot. Maybe the server was just screwed.

The Hellriegel and the SMG OP/18 can literally melt a horse in less than 2 seconds.

That is why I think the melee attacks are not worth the risk and I mosty rifle shoot and grenade throw from distances where they cannot hit you with every bullet they fire
  • Callahan44er
    5062 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    Did they adjust damage? I was taking insane damage from 'normal' weapons the one round I just played. An smg took me down to 30% without reloading in one case, and others were doing the same. That said, the sounds were also screwed up, got killed by an art truck, but it sounded like a rifle shot. Maybe the server was just screwed.

The Hellriegel and the SMG OP/18 can literally melt a horse in less than 2 seconds.

That is why I think the melee attacks are not worth the risk and I mosty rifle shoot and grenade throw from distances where they cannot hit you with every bullet they fire

The question that remains is:why use a horse then. It was so fun in the beta,maybe they were a bit too good back then,but now they are too bad to be worth riding them out of base midgame.
  • Hawxxeye
    6314 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

The question that remains is:why use a horse then. It was so fun in the beta,maybe they were a bit too good back then,but now they are too bad to be worth riding them out of base midgame.
    The horseman is the best countersniping asset cause he can take minimal damage even on sweetspot range. If you play safe and stay alive, you basically also distract all these campers to fire at you while your allies can get them.
  • CS-2107
    1554 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

That depends of how well you know their mechanics. They still are good, but a bit too vulnerable against some things. However you can melt with them, once you've learned their movement, attack detection and aiming from the horseback.
  • Hawxxeye
    Here is more footage of how much more effective the grenade and rifle style is against other cavalry.
    This is a good weekend for horsing in the weekly rotation.
  • IG-Calibre
    978 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    My major complain is that back in the day LA promised to make horses more agile and easier to control so every second fence won't be an impossible obstacle for the rider. But instead they've made horses extremely jumpy for no reason and most of the time these days it's even harder to ride unless it's an open field. Cavalry vs cavalry battles are also affected by that "fix" because your horse just jumps over enemy one instead of getting close for melee attack. Well at least you can heal while riding now but I think everybody would prefer to revert all the changes to the state before russian dlc.

if the horse jumps the other rider when you attack you were too late in your strike.
  • DonSharkito
    797 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Here is more footage of how much more effective the grenade and rifle style is against other cavalry.
    This is a good weekend for horsing in the weekly rotation.

That's exactly what I mentioned in my post above re cavalry "dogfights". Ideally you would want to get both AT grenades on the enemy cavalry, but rifle follow up shots would work most of the time (if 1 of the 2 grenades were a miss) if you don't miss your shots.

But I use this playstyle (rifle + grenades) not only for dogfights, but against infantry and other vehicles. After well over 10k kills with the cavalry rifle, imo this is the most efficient and lethal playstyle of this class if mastered.

It seems to me that the weekly rotation doesn't include some of the best cavalry maps (imo) unfortunately.
  • abc1434286920
    447 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't know, on a controller I find it considerably harder to aim consistently when mounted and especially if slightly moving. I would think with a mouse (or m&k on consoles) it's easier.
    I only use the riffle for easy pickings.
  • DonSharkito
    797 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't know, on a controller I find it considerably harder to aim consistently when mounted and especially if slightly moving. I would think with a mouse (or m&k on consoles) it's easier.

It takes undoubtedly some time and a lot of practice to get used to it.

With a controller I have 56% accuracy with the rifle and this with the aim assist auto rotation disabled, proof that it is possible to do fairly well with it.
  • abc1434286920
    447 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018

With a controller I have 56% accuracy with the rifle and this with the aim assist auto rotation disabled, proof that it is possible to do fairly well with it.

I dont doubt it, some of you guys are just on a tad bit different level.

I checked, i have 42% with the rifle.

You said prior you have upwards of 10000 kills with the horse, i have almost 5k but wandering if the kills mentioned in the app are all inclusive (sword/lance/riffle/horse) or are these just horse kills from trampling opponents?
  • DonSharkito

I dont doubt it, some of you guys are just on a tad bit different level.

I checked, i have 42% with the rifle.

You said prior you have upwards of 10000 kills with the horse, i have almost 5k but wandering if the kills mentioned in the app are all inclusive (sword/lance/riffle/horse) or are these just horse kills from trampling opponents?

The horse kills are all inclusive (as a vehicle), but you can see them detailed per weapon in the weapons tab of the app or stats tracker. For example I have 25k in total as the cavalry class, of which 13k are with the rifle.
  • ragnarok013
    3428 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    My major complain is that back in the day LA promised to make horses more agile and easier to control so every second fence won't be an impossible obstacle for the rider. But instead they've made horses extremely jumpy for no reason and most of the time these days it's even harder to ride unless it's an open field. Cavalry vs cavalry battles are also affected by that "fix" because your horse just jumps over enemy one instead of getting close for melee attack. Well at least you can heal while riding now but I think everybody would prefer to revert all the changes to the state before russian dlc.

That doesn't surprise me, I can't think of a single game from any studio where horse riding actually felt good. For some reason it seems that horses are difficult to design for a quality experience.
  • Hawxxeye

That doesn't surprise me, I can't think of a single game from any studio where horse riding actually felt good. For some reason it seems that horses are difficult to design for a quality experience.
    Riding Caragors and other beasts in Shadow of Mordor/ War working well however.
  • StupidNameHere
    136 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Only been killed recently by a horse from trying to repair a tank. The darn shoehorn got 3 kills from anti tank renegade grenades before I Kurt Russel from Tombstone'd his A.

"NO"
  • von_Campenstein
    6571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Why can't you hit the rider or horse with a hand held weapon?

Stab the horse to kill the guy, my only good memory from Galicia is taking down a rider swiping at him as he went past with my knife.