Old school players impressions of BFV beta

Comments

• BURGERKRIEG
    1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah don’t get me wrong. It’s not the holy grail and a complete return to form. Just a first step towards a decent game.

I’m not going to pre order this game, or any other one. That encourages buggy unfinished games.

I sat through six months of BF4 not working, Hardline being an absolute broken mess at launch, then abandoned.

After all that loot box crud EA tried to pull last year, I reckon they had that planned for BFV before the backlash. I don’t trust em.

I’ll wait and see, read reviews, watch gameplay and see if the launch is stable. Check out Levecap and X factor.

Read the forums.

Then I might get a copy.

• Kozer213
    160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I am not having fun in the beta. It's not bad. Just.. Bland. The new mechanics that force teamwork is all good and nice...When you have a team that works together. Having to rely on random people for health and ammo is just a poor design in my mind, since the average person doesn't really care. Beta is underwhelming. There are parts I like and parts I dislike. Currently more dislikes than likes. The maps look good. But there are no epic battles that I have found yet. Nothing that makes me stand back and go "whoa".
  • Squigib0
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield 1942 Veteran and EVERY Battlefield Game created, player here.... I played two sessions of the game with radically different opinions. 1st play through: Felt slow, the pace was just "off". Felt constricted in what I could do. Didn't feel right to me. - Then went out to dinner, came back for second session with a squad that actually WORKED TOGETHER. My opinion completely changed. I realized that if you go Rambo and try to pull solo kills, that your life expectancy is very short. - When a squad works together, the game is impressive. - The whole match while playing with a cohesive squad made my score skyrocket. Next round the squad broke up and was back filled, and half the squad was all over the place and not cohesive. Then the game felt wrong again. - I like the direction this is going. I had my doubts and initially, I didn't like it, because I was trying to make the game into something it's not supposed to be. - Play as a squad or find your rank grinding to be very slow and painful. -= So far, so good. =-
  • Squigib0
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Kozer213 wrote: »
    I am not having fun in the beta. It's not bad. Just.. Bland. The new mechanics that force teamwork is all good and nice...When you have a team that works together. Having to rely on random people for health and ammo is just a poor design in my mind, since the average person doesn't really care. Beta is underwhelming. There are parts I like and parts I dislike. Currently more dislikes than likes. The maps look good. But there are no epic battles that I have found yet. Nothing that makes me stand back and go "whoa".

People will have to adapt. We were talking today about it at work. I think BF should not try and be more COD and COD shouldn't try to be BF. It's a different game. People will learn to play together or get mowed down and leave, making room for people that "get it".
  • ghost_soul167
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    RYZAkddd wrote: »
    As someone who has played since the release of 1942, I detest this version. I hated BF1...
    Just wandering, what is your favourite Battlefield?

I am not the OP, but my feelings mirror their feelings. My favorite battlefield was Battlefield Vietnam (not the bad company port, the original). This game does not have the look, feel, or pace of the old school games no matter how much you try to say it does. At best the gameplay is generic and the theme of WW2 is non-existant. I never thought DICE would make such a generic game. I've been waiting for the return of Battlefield to WW2 since Battlefield 2. This game should have me singing it's praises, but it's just generic twitch shooting, nothing tactical about it all.
  • SirBobdk
    5321 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    @ghost_soul167 wrote
    This game does not have the look, feel, or pace of the old school games no matter how much you try to say it does
    Agree. Only TTK is old school. The rest is just cod with a few vehicles and planes.
  • xx_Dante2k_xx
    638 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @ghost_soul167 wrote
    This game does not have the look, feel, or pace of the old school games no matter how much you try to say it does
    Agree. Only TTK is old school. The rest is just cod with a few vehicles and planes.

It doesn't feel anything like cod to me.
  • BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Squigib0 wrote: »
    Battlefield 1942 Veteran and EVERY Battlefield Game created, player here.... I played two sessions of the game with radically different opinions. 1st play through: Felt slow, the pace was just "off". Felt constricted in what I could do. Didn't feel right to me. - Then went out to dinner, came back for second session with a squad that actually WORKED TOGETHER. My opinion completely changed. I realized that if you go Rambo and try to pull solo kills, that your life expectancy is very short. - When a squad works together, the game is impressive. - The whole match while playing with a cohesive squad made my score skyrocket. Next round the squad broke up and was back filled, and half the squad was all over the place and not cohesive. Then the game felt wrong again. - I like the direction this is going. I had my doubts and initially, I didn't like it, because I was trying to make the game into something it's not supposed to be. - Play as a squad or find your rank grinding to be very slow and painful. -= So far, so good. =-

as I see it there's incentive, just not enough really.

I was very charmed at first impression, but the more I played the more I found myself frustrated.. maybe it was because I was playing on a machine that could barely run the game, maybe it was something else, but I found it having "pretensions" of that oldschool depth/mercilessness, with quite a bit missing. I've got what amounts to an essay written up for "what I think should change if they don't change the TTK", but for some reason I forsee it being a made a little more forgiving at some point.

How would people in this thread feel about Faction weapons? those I've talked to say "I'd like it to happen but dice would never implement it", yet I'm convinced this isn't entirely true.
  • SirBobdk
    5321 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @ghost_soul167 wrote

You run constantly back and forth between flag and shoot. Not much tactics or strategy.

• xx_Dante2k_xx
    638 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @ghost_soul167 wrote

You run constantly back and forth between flag and shoot. Not much tactics or strategy.

That depends on the game mode you play and the tactics and team play used.

Cod is an arcade twitch shooter, or it was until crap ops 4.
  • Whistler-RTD-
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    I have played pretty much every adaption of the Battlefield Franchise that was ever released on PC. Some of my most favorite times where running around BF2 Modern Combat tearing stuff apart. Then the Frostbite engine came about in BF:BC2 and took things to the next level. I love this franchise with all of my gamer heart.. BUT everything after BF IV imo has been crap.. BF IV was in my opinion the last BEST stable Frostbite engine release there was. When the system changed in BF 1 I was disappointed.. You literally have to learn to play and shoot a whole different way. The system feels clunky now. In some cases unresponsive to things I want to do that were easily done in BF IV's engine. Nothing feels streamlined as far as the controls and it feels like they really took a step back when BF 1 was released. I feel a "Tiny" improvement in this game compared to BF 1. Will it grasp my attention and keep me playing like BF 2, BC2, or BF IV? The way it looks probably not.. I don't understand how DICE could of crapped all over a great and stable build in favor of these new Frostbite releases... I will buy it because its BF and I have them all. But lately it feels like DICE and Frostbite regressed instead of progressed.. I have been playing since 1942 and that is my opinion on this new take on the BF franchise.. Bring back what was the best Frostbite adaption they ever had.. BF IV's System...
  • MHbluey
    739 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    when the BF3 Alpha/Beta came out it was exciting to play, BFC2 was exciting - I think the word is 'visceral' - yesterday I watched some guy doing his thing on BF3, flying jets - wow- then remembered playing this beta - honestly it's just not got that tension - it's just a bit dull - pass
  • ghost_soul167
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Tiny maps with checkpoints less than 200m from each other, very few vehicles, run-n-gunners just running from point to point not bothering to ptfo, other than the amounts of approaches to checkpoints, these maps and gunplay belong in a CoD game.
  • Rufusw5
    138 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I love the lack of spotting. I've wanted that change for so long!

The bombing raids are gone, grenade spam is gone, sniper instakills are much rarer, that's a massive plus.

The lack of spotting makes cover to cover playing and quick thinking a lot more effective.

Lone wolf playstyle get you killed, team playing helps you win.

The fire damage from scenery is a bit off in places and the damage reg needs fixing though.

First impressions, I hated it to start with, but the more I play it, the more I like it.

I might even buy it at this rate, I was very much on the page that having already bought 5 battlefield titles, I probably don't need another.

But now.. maybe I need another..
  • Wabbit
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    There is Hope. Its Called Post Scriptum and there's a modern warfare version called Squad. Both are proper Mil sim games for mature players of any age. You actually have to use your mic in game (It doesn't work in TS or Discord). You can talk to anyone near you not just your squad. You have to cooperate and plan and rally your section. Its so rewarding. The only problem with them is they are by small studios and lacking content but they are adding more all the time.

This BF crap is just a crazy steroidal lone wolfing KDR obsessed mess - it just makes you angry playing it.

Dont get me wrong this is a good game for COD players but BF never used to be a COD console arcade game. EA sold out. BF V looks very pretty and smooth but its just cosmetic. I mean they give you skins for your guns! WTF? Are we dressing dolls or playing a wargame?

BF died after BF2 when they dropped the commander, the comms, the team play and made the maps smaller and into tunnels to funnel everyone into killing zones. Its just a dieing simulator now.

No one talks in this game, there is no plan, just run, kill, die repeat as fast as our CPU's will let us. Its such a shame. They made a beautiful game with no soul what so ever.
  • CharlesReign
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Playing medium settings @ 4k. Not really by choice but because borderless does not work. You have to play in fullscreen and anything less than 4k changes the scaling of the image. THink of a picture frame image instead of full screen. With that said I get 38-low to mid 40's fps which is about 8-10 less fps than BF1 for me in 4k. BF5 is DX12 so I think it may be a few fps loss if I ran it in DX11. I do not think you need 60fps to enjoy the game because the netcode is very good and smooth. I think you need at least 30 fps. I will be upgrading to a 1080ti or something like it in the near future so 4k will no longer be a pipe dream.
  • WobblyTableLeg
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Worst BF game to date. There's so many poor design choices to even bother listing.
  • SirBobdk
    So far BFV is a killing simulator without any plan or startegy. It's fun for a while, but then it get's boring.
    The unlocking/upgrade can keep the interesset but not for long.
    On Narvik most run back and forth between B and D and sometimes C.
    Rotterdam is just running around in circles killing/dying and capture flags while loosing the one your team have taken.
    The 2 maps are relative small and without any real vehicle play.
    The purpose of this game imo is only to spawn close to the action and start killing/dying.
    BF may have gone back to old TTK and no spotting but not really anything else.
    I
  • I've had every Battlefield game par Hardline, as that looked like a load or rubbish to me so I never picked it up.

Up until Battlefield 4 I was primarily a PC player, then my friends got consoles and so I've played BF on console since then.

To me BF5 feels a bit too arcade-like, me and my friends were discussing this and we decided that it's got Battlefield elements to it, but it feels a bit stale, a bit 'on-rails' almost like a game by another developer.

For instance THQ's Frontline Fuels of War that came out many years ago, it was trying to imitate Battlefield but kinda meh.

Nothing in this game has blown me away and made me go yeah I need to have that at release, I remember playing the closed Alpha for BF3 and was awstruck with the changes and then sunk an unhealthy amount of time into that game with my housemate at the time.

I'm glad 3d spotting is gone, that always used to scupper any intelligent playstyle, and the fact that it's a bit more open to counter grenade spam is nice too; also the recoil predictability helps learning the guns better.

But that's about it, I feel like infantry need to start with one extra magazine, the medics worked fine in BF1 for me so I'd rather they returned to that.

I used to be primarily a Support player on every Battlefield, but haven't really gotten along with the new weapons, because of the TTK it can be difficult to set up and suppress enemies.

Also the tanks are pretty ridiculous, can support players rearm the tanks?

I actually timed it last night, on the Norwegian map it took me 3 minutes to get from point A, RTB, and then back to point A (from the British side), I racked up a lot of kills and held off the enemy but then while I'm gone everyone dies and they dig in, I just feel like my tank isn't combat effective, bit of a paperweight tbh.

I could go on but at the moment I feel like it's going to take DICE 6 to 12 months to sort this out, I'm massively disappointed.
  • IG-Calibre
    978 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    lol, member when Frontline Fuels of War was gonna be the battlefield killa? anyhoo looking forward to playing the demo this afternoon only had a quick blast this morning, seemed fun enough.