Sniping In Battlefield V

Comments

• vulpesveritas
    114 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I played BF2, BFBC2, BF3, BF4, BFH and BF V have the weakest sniper of all games

I honestly could not disagree more. With the new limited spotting system, i am even more deadly with a sniper rifle then I was in BF 1. I would agree that there is room to improve damage at closer ranges. Here are some tips.

1. Use the trees and foliage as camouflage,.
    2. Calculate your moves and never run out in the open.
    3. Move from cover to cover only after you checked your surroundings.
    4. Only shoot at what you can hit.
    5. After firing, get behind cover. Chances are someone heard you.
    6. Be patient, go for the headshot whenever possible.

Playing that way, you can be effective with ANY GUN. The main difference is that with an LMG i don't need to aim on head.

An no way that two equally skilled players will play the same on BF1 and BF V. Some rifles on BF 1 have 50m of sweetspot(springfield is 100 to 150m), others can fire OHK rounds almost each seconds(Russian Winchester) and most of then have realistic bullet speed. Not mention better gadgets like K-bullets, sniper shield, etc. The fact is that BF 1 have the strongest snipers on BF games and BF V have the weakest. Weaker even than BF3/BF4 and at least on BF3/BF4 i can use weapons like SKS or Carbines if i wanna play as recon.

One class that is underpowered IMHO is SMG's on BF 1, because most maps is open maps and Assaults don't have an "scoped BAR" or an "scoped mondragon"...

Eh, Assault had the rocket gun, which was one-hit-kill at any range to infantry, plus splash damage if you missed slightly, plus there was the riberolles, which bipoded was a laser, so... yeah. BF1 had generally good weapon balance in TTK1 for the most part, even if TTK2 kinda messed with things, but.. even still, the weapon balance in BF1 is better than the present state of BFV.

Honestly, my suggestion to balance BFV: nerf the close range performance of the STG44 (and assault rifles in general) by 1BTK from the current model to ensure medic SMGs dominate within 15m, while keeping the damage model past such, and remove "Fast bullets" from the upgrade tree, swap shotguns from support to assault (or make them all-class and introduce a number of assault rifles/prototypes like the M2 Carbine or AS-44), then give everyone access to semi-auto rifles / DMRs. As for scouts specifically; make "fast bullets / long range bullets" the default on all snipers instead of being an upgrade unlock, and up bolt action rifle's minimum damage to no less than 60 so we don't see any 3-hit-kills at range.
  • -L-M3rc3n4ry
    523 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    V2Face wrote: »

I’ve played BC2 never ran scout as my multiplayer experience was very brief and I ran assault or medic only.

So you know that Barrett M95 can pierce armor, damage vehicles, OHK up to 35m with MA, you probably got OHK a lot on BFBC2 by m95, gol magnum and etc and even if you are terrible at aiming, VSS is a full auto sniper that can win most SMG's at CQB...
    (...) Eh, Assault had the rocket gun, which was one-hit-kill at any range to infantry, plus splash damage if you missed slightly, plus there was the riberolles, which bipoded was a laser, so... yeah. BF1 had generally good weapon balance in TTK1 for the most part, even if TTK2 kinda messed with things, but.. even still, the weapon balance in BF1 is better than the present state of BFV.

Honestly, my suggestion to balance BFV: nerf the close range performance of the STG44 (and assault rifles in general) by 1BTK from the current model to ensure medic SMGs dominate within 15m, while keeping the damage model past such, and remove "Fast bullets" from the upgrade tree, swap shotguns from support to assault (or make them all-class and introduce a number of assault rifles/prototypes like the M2 Carbine or AS-44), then give everyone access to semi-auto rifles / DMRs. As for scouts specifically; make "fast bullets / long range bullets" the default on all snipers instead of being an upgrade unlock, and up bolt action rifle's minimum damage to no less than 60 so we don't see any 3-hit-kills at range.

Yes, i agree with most suggestions. Still wanna see armor piercing back but sweetspot, only if a very slow ROF rifle like Martini comes to BF1. IMHO or snipers fire very fast aka one shot / second or they have OHK, both at the same time is unbalanced. For assault rifles, i wanna see more recoil for then, i saw someone spraying targets at really long range and IMHO tap fire should be encouraged at long ranges
  • Assyriansniper1
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Zviko0 wrote: »
    I played BF2, BFBC2, BF3, BF4, BFH and BF V have the weakest sniper of all games

I honestly could not disagree more. With the new limited spotting system, i am even more deadly with a sniper rifle then I was in BF 1. I would agree that there is room to improve damage at closer ranges. Here are some tips.

You think you can balance weapons by giving tips? I don't think so...

It only takes 2 bullets to take someone down and 1 if its a headshot or the other player has already been hit. It takes 5-8 well placed bullets with any other weapon in the game. I don't think its a weapons balance issues. Its a player misusing the class issues.
  • Assyriansniper1
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Playing that way, you can be effective with ANY GUN. The main difference is that with an LMG i don't need to aim on head.

An no way that two equally skilled players will play the same on BF1 and BF V. Some rifles on BF 1 have 50m of sweetspot(springfield is 100 to 150m), others can fire OHK rounds almost each seconds(Russian Winchester) and most of then have realistic bullet speed. Not mention better gadgets like K-bullets, sniper shield, etc. The fact is that BF 1 have the strongest snipers on BF games and BF V have the weakest. Weaker even than BF3/BF4 and at least on BF3/BF4 i can use weapons like SKS or Carbines if i wanna play as recon.

One class that is underpowered IMHO is SMG's on BF 1, because most maps is open maps and Assaults don't have an "scoped BAR" or an "scoped mondragon"...

You are talking to someone who has sniped 90% of the time in every BF. I am telling you, when I started the beta I was horrible. I adjusted my playing style to the new realistic mechanics. My K/D is about 3\1 in every game. Yesterday I went 17/1 in one match. The new spotting system and terrain has made snipers very difficult to spot. They can't even spot me when im camouflaged in the brush. Play smarter. This is how a sniper role is suppose to be.
  • Zviko0
    1704 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

It only takes 2 bullets to take someone down and 1 if its a headshot or the other player has already been hit. It takes 5-8 well placed bullets with any other weapon in the game. I don't think its a weapons balance issues. Its a player misusing the class issues.

You don't get it. Skill doesn't matter here. All that is situational. None of that matters. Only numbers matter. 55 damage for BA rifle is very very low. You have 0 chance at close range. It's way too slow to shoot 2 bullets and it's way to slow to swap to your secondary and shoot 2-3.

Again, stop including someone's skill into this. It doesn't matter...
  • MaskwM
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    If you like sniping, there's a cool game called Sniper Elite 4. Personally, had more fun with it than I did with Battlefield 1.
  • Assyriansniper1
    edited September 2018

You don't get it. Skill doesn't matter here. All that is situational. None of that matters. Only numbers matter. 55 damage for BA rifle is very very low. You have 0 chance at close range. It's way too slow to shoot 2 bullets and it's way to slow to swap to your secondary and shoot 2-3.

I agree with the close range issues as I mentioned above. Skill doesn't matter? Thats a new one.
  • -L-M3rc3n4ry
    523 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2018

You are talking to someone who has sniped 90% of the time in every BF. I am telling you, when I started the beta I was horrible. I adjusted my playing style to the new realistic mechanics. My K/D is about 3\1 in every game. Yesterday I went 17/1 in one match. The new spotting system and terrain has made snipers very difficult to spot. They can't even spot me when im camouflaged in the brush. Play smarter. This is how a sniper role is suppose to be.

Realistic mechanics???

7.92×57mm Mauser IRL = 880 m/s
    7.92×57mm Mauser in BF 1 = 880 m/s
    7.92×57mm Mauser in BF V = 500 m/s (not sure)

BF was not a realistic game. And the dumb logic "infantry MG42 can't damage vehicles but vehicle MG 42 can " from BF3 was brought back. Be honest, if you play in the same stile with an STG 44, you will not be much more effective? That is my point.

Except that in a fraction of second an single STG 44 burst can kill the enemy at the same range and you doesn't need to aim on head. That is my point.
    Snipers lose to any other weapon in the game at CQB, medium and long range. Except SMG at long range.
  • Zviko0
    1704 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I agree with the close range issues as I mentioned above. Skill doesn't matter? Thats a new one.

And that's the only problem I have with BA rifles. They are fine at long range but nowhere near good enough at close.
  • -L-M3rc3n4ry
    edited September 2018
    And that's the only problem I have with BA rifles. They are fine at long range but nowhere near good enough at close.

I don't think that they are fine at long range. Except by medic(smg), any class have a weapon that can one burst you at range. Honestly the best NON BOLT ACTION rifle to be used at distance on BF 1 was Mondragon Sniper and control the recoil of mondragon is much harder than STG 44 on this game. Not saying that the recoil is a problem with mondragon but is only a comparasion...
  • Zviko0

I don't think that they are fine at long range. Except by medic(smg), any class have a weapon that can one burst you at range. Honestly the best NON BOLT ACTION rifle to be used at distance on BF 1 was Mondragon Sniper and control the recoil of mondragon is much harder than STG 44 on this game. Not saying that the recoil is a problem with mondragon but is only a comparasion...

I think they are fine because I also think everything else is too powerful at long range.
  • Hawxxeye
    6719 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Example of what happens when you give someone who is known for being unnaturally good with a bolt action an STG44 instead;
    And so the truth is shown, one good with a bolt action can do at least twice as good or more with a really competitive full auto weapon
  • superteds
    1206 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    psa: use the zh29
  • -L-M3rc3n4ry
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    Example of what happens when you give someone who is known for being unnaturally good with a bolt action an STG44 instead;
    And so the truth is shown, one good with a bolt action can do at least twice as good or more with a really competitive full auto weapon

This on UNBALANCED games. On games where Snipers are balanced, an good player will be eqqualy good with Kar 98 or with STG 44...
  • superteds
    1206 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

This on UNBALANCED games. On games where Snipers are balanced, an good player will be eqqualy good with Kar 98 or with STG 44...

except that's bollocks because a kar 98 can one shot headshot, or two shot bodyshot and a stg can do neither of those.
  • una322
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    superteds wrote: »

except that's bollocks because a kar 98 can one shot headshot, or two shot bodyshot and a stg can do neither of those.

no but the stg cant fire way more bullets to kill before a sniper can pull back the 2nd bullet to fire, and thus kill faster. The tap shot of the stg at range is stupid good. Right now most guns apart fromt he stg need to be buffed up to be on par instead of just nurfing the stg. Snipers right now are in a crappy spot for getting good scores. They have to stay miles away , the run and gun skill sniper isnt as strong atm because if they bump into anyone with an auto there dead simple as that. So you stay back , sure u can get some nice kills, but your not gaining points as fast as others, your not helping your squad ect. You get flair gun at rank 10, which is stupid enough as it is, and then you only get 1 flair b4 u have to go get ammo. They need something more like K bullets from bf1 to make them more usefull for heavy armor as well. Right now they really only have one style of play, and it gets boring prity fast.

• VindictiV_V
    1347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ok I gotta stop some of you right now:
    1)Comparing with STG is bs. EVERYBODY knows STG needs a heavy nerf (both to it's TTK cuz it currently beats SMGs in cqc, and to it's long range accuracy as it beats stuff like Gewerh 43 and even sniper rifles and DMRs at medium/long range in terms of not only accuracy but, again, in terms of TTK).
    2)"Hillhumping" and camping are way more rewarded now than in bf1 because (A) kill cams are either bugged or are intended to not show you much of where you were killed from, (B) there's no spotting anymore and (C) character models can camouflage a LOT better now with the environment. Therefore, sniping from long range is a lot easier than it used to be in the sense that you will not be instantly spotted the moment you kill somebody or you shoot.
    3)Complaining that scout weaponry sucks at close range is stupid, that's like complaining you can't snipe somebody with the automatico... Intended for balance purposes.

So what exactly are "meh-skill" scouts complaining now (we don't hear stodeh and the likes b**** and moan, do we)? Sweet spot isn't coming back, it was a crutch for bad players. Now that's out of the way, we can discuss damage figures but the things you need to get in your heads finally are:
    1)Non-headshot damage is low because of attrition aka most players you will be shooting at will be a lot less likely to be at full health than in previous titles. You can't have old values of damage like 80 or even 70+ damage for body shots as this will mean insta kill on anybody that isn't a medic or freshly spawned. This is also to stop the lame "I shoot you in the small toe with my bolt-action then finish you off with a single (or 2 at worse) pistol bullet(s)" skilless combo that every sniper would do in bf1.
    2)that you do 80 points of damage or 50, it's still a 2-shot to kill for a full hp target, you don't need a damage increase, you already deal 55 damage for body shot at long range = 2-shot kill.
    3)headshots are still one-hit kills at any range and they are now easier to do as the head hitbox size was increased.

The only thing that you can really complain legitimately about is the death of aggressive scout playstyle which is, sadly, a symptom of having all weapons with a really low TTK even at medium range. This makes it so playing as a scout and engaging at medium range or lower means a certain death sentence unless you pretty much always land headshots or you play against players with advanced cases of parkinson. This I fully agree, but what do you want to do? Nerf TTK and go back to early bf1?
  • Metal_Jockets
    247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ok I gotta stop some of you right now:
    1)Comparing with STG is bs. EVERYBODY knows STG needs a heavy nerf (both to it's TTK cuz it currently beats SMGs in cqc, and to it's long range accuracy as it beats stuff like Gewerh 43 and even sniper rifles and DMRs at medium/long range in terms of not only accuracy but, again, in terms of TTK).
    2)"Hillhumping" and camping are way more rewarded now than in bf1 because (A) kill cams are either bugged or are intended to not show you much of where you were killed from, (B) there's no spotting anymore and (C) character models can camouflage a LOT better now with the environment. Therefore, sniping from long range is a lot easier than it used to be in the sense that you will not be instantly spotted the moment you kill somebody or you shoot.
    3)Complaining that scout weaponry sucks at close range is stupid, that's like complaining you can't snipe somebody with the automatico... Intended for balance purposes.

So what exactly are "meh-skill" scouts complaining now (we don't hear stodeh and the likes b**** and moan, do we)? Sweet spot isn't coming back, it was a crutch for bad players. Now that's out of the way, we can discuss damage figures but the things you need to get in your heads finally are:
    1)Non-headshot damage is low because of attrition aka most players you will be shooting at will be a lot less likely to be at full health than in previous titles. You can't have old values of damage like 80 or even 70+ damage for body shots as this will mean insta kill on anybody that isn't a medic or freshly spawned. This is also to stop the lame "I shoot you in the small toe with my bolt-action then finish you off with a single (or 2 at worse) pistol bullet(s)" skilless combo that every sniper would do in bf1.
    2)that you do 80 points of damage or 50, it's still a 2-shot to kill for a full hp target, you don't need a damage increase, you already deal 55 damage for body shot at long range = 2-shot kill.
    3)headshots are still one-hit kills at any range and they are now easier to do as the head hitbox size was increased.

The only thing that you can really complain legitimately about is the death of aggressive scout playstyle which is, sadly, a symptom of having all weapons with a really low TTK even at medium range. This makes it so playing as a scout and engaging at medium range or lower means a certain death sentence unless you pretty much always land headshots or you play against players with advanced cases of parkinson. This I fully agree, but what do you want to do? Nerf TTK and go back to early bf1?

Great explanation.. couldn't of said it better myself..
  • xhairs999
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I get wrecked by snipers when i try to play the same as i did in BF1. Playing as a sniper is fun, have some hard times actually getting a kill but headshots/shots are still fun. Best time i had was sniping with a buddy, i spotted and he shot. The spotter is amazing and helps a lot. My favorite changes are the addition of trees to hide under and no more lense flare. Good luck, no problems here with sniping mechanics.
  • Lord_Beelzebub1
    240 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yes!! No stupid lens flare!! Thank God!

I can accept lens flare if you’re actually facing the sun, but hell, in BF4 you could be playing on Metro down in the dark metro tunnel and there is lens flare? Stupid and unrealistic.

I hope they never bring back lens flare in BFV unless it’s truly realistic to your surroundings and only when facing a light source.