Why has Spotting been changed

MrsSwankyBlum
postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Hi,

Just got the BFV beta today and I am not impressed. It feels a lot more like COD and not the Battlefield that I have loved and played for years.
A big part of my distaste I feel is because BFV has changed its spotting mechanics. Why the hell did this have to be changed. Now we have people just camping and sneaking up on each other. It genuinely sucks and takes fun away from the game.

I'll probably just stick with BF1 or find a new game if this very significant mechanics isn't fixed.

Comments

• DrunkOnRedWine
    85 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I haven't got the hang of the new spotting wheel at all. I'm useless with it and half the time I get killed using it. I'm refraining from using it as it's not intuitive to me atm.
  • StompAGirl
    132 postsMember Member
    I haven't got the hang of the new spotting wheel at all. I'm useless with it and half the time I get killed using it. I'm refraining from using it as it's not intuitive to me atm.

I'm not even sure what this means, spotting wheel ? I'm sure its just a name for something I'm already using, but I'm not sure what.
  • BCC-GK1llA913
    187 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Bump bump
  • StompAGirl
    132 postsMember Member
    I like that 3d spotting is gone and the more you play the more you will find out that is quit possible to play without.
    It gives campers an advantage, but it also gives PTFO players an advantage.

Hard core players have done it forever, so it has to be possible. I'm actually excited about that part, that it might make playing hard core easier once you get used to it. That was what I had the most trouble with when trying to play hardcore in BF 4.
  • TropicPoison
    1150 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    Have you played cod?

Oh look another one who can't play the game without their 3d spotting crutch

Hmmm..

Funnily enough you can still spot and even mark areas. Scout can use their binos to 3D spot without even needing to press a button and they just drown in points

You can't say you haven't spotted a ton in past BF games you're being kind of a hypocrite here saying that, I spotted a hell of a lot I would go as far as to say that I had more spotting medals than anyone in most matches I play in other BF games.

Oh man now I'm getting flashbacks of pushing campers off rooftops with my MAV...
  • StompAGirl
    132 postsMember Member
    edited September 10
    After playing for a while, I had pretty much forgotten about the old spotting mechanic, this one makes more sense. Why should an enemy be highlighted and tracked for the entire opposing team to see? Marking where someone "was" or where a group was seen makes for more exciting play. It also means a squad can properly flank an objective without big arrows over their heads just because someone happened to spot them. This time, the enemy know we're in the area, but not precisely where.

I actually think spotting is fairly realistic.
    I know how that sounds - what do you mean STOMP A GIRL ... there's no way a person would run around with a red triangle above their head in a real life war.
    True ... but in a real life war, people would be yelling at each other, motioning to one another to watch out in a particular direction, looking around at each other and asking questions with hand signs to see where the enemy is, talking on the radio with one another, there would be a command structure, there would be intel, ... we have basically NONE of that in game. Sure, you can voice chat with your own squad, but that's nothing like what it would be like if you were literally in a war, standing shoulder to shoulder with people, and someone caught sight of someone running along a hedge row. Just seeing an enemy soldier somewhere would set off a chain reaction of people informing other people around them, their command, etc, that enemy had been seen ... and in that sense I think the spotting mechanic in a game like BF 1 does a pretty good job of simulating that kind of information. It's a way, with a simple button click, for us to simulate yelling out to everyone that he's "over there ...!" while pointing, calling the CO on the radio, people marking positions on maps, etc. It's a kind of short hand in game that has the same basic effect as all of that to provide situational awareness. In real life, troops that are seen by their opponents are reported, and once they've been spotted people often keep track of their movements, try to keep an eye on them, or engage them.
    Think about how you feel now in the Beta, when you are standing there with 10 of your team mates around you and you see an enemy RIGHT THERE .. and you WISH you could just say HEY EVERYBODY HE IS RIGHT THERE SHOOT HIM, but there's just no way to do it, because spotting is now gone. In real life you'd call attention to the enemy and EVERYONE would look that way and see him. Spotting accomplishes that same end.
    Even when you have a squad on voice communications (rare) that doesn't accomplish the same thing .. because you're like having to describe where the enemy is, he's over there! Beside the .. uhh ... I guess that's north, next to that little white fence, beside the tree. What tree. That tree over there . ... no not that tree, the other fence and tree. It's comedy to do on the voice thing what could EASILY be done in real life where you'd just motion in a particular direction and maybe whisper .. "over there" and everybody would easily know wtf you were talking about.
  • Shadders_X
    332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    After playing for a while, I had pretty much forgotten about the old spotting mechanic, this one makes more sense. Why should an enemy be highlighted and tracked for the entire opposing team to see? Marking where someone "was" or where a group was seen makes for more exciting play. It also means a squad can properly flank an objective without big arrows over their heads just because someone happened to spot them. This time, the enemy know we're in the area, but not precisely where.
    Hi,
    No one talks - i have never heard someone talk on BF4, or in the BF V beta. So spotting was an excellent way to tell others on the team that there were enemies in their vicinity. The spot tag did not last forever.

So spotting countered the issue that no one talks in squads or to each other.

To counter this, you have to sneak around, or camp - but then, the slow turning of the players means you cannot react to people coming up behind you.

What this does is make you camp in a corner without significant flank points, or run and gun.

Regards,
    Shadders_X.
  • JillyforDaWin
    7 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 10
    Spotting is for scrubs and I've no idea why it was even introduced to begin with.

It's legitimately the reason that I will buy BF5. If they reintroduce it I won't pick it up unless hardcore is implemented properly.

2Lplay
  • UsainskiSemperFi
    222 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    No 3D spotting = SUPER fine!
  • JillyforDaWin
    7 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    StompAGirl wrote: »
    Spotting is for scrubs and I've no idea why it was even introduced to begin with.

It's legitimately the reason that I will buy BF5. If they reintroduce it I won't pick it up unless hardcore is implemented properly.

2Lplay

Hard core is for scrubs. Real players join the actual army.

No wars currently worth dying for.
  • moosehunter1969
    834 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Hi,

Just got the BFV beta today and I am not impressed. It feels a lot more like COD and not the Battlefield that I have loved and played for years.
    A big part of my distaste I feel is because BFV has changed its spotting mechanics. Why the hell did this have to be changed. Now we have people just camping and sneaking up on each other. It genuinely sucks and takes fun away from the game.

I'll probably just stick with BF1 or find a new game if this very significant mechanics isn't fixed.

Have you ever played COD? It’s nothing like it.
  • DEFILER1975
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I only ever played hardcore BF3 and BF4, and like the fact that there is no crutch for K/D farmers to use. It is the one thing I really like about BF5. I suck at it, so I'm not having any fun at the moment, but hopefully the clunkiness goes away on release and I might enjoy it more. I'm not cancelling my preorder either, unless they add the Doritos again.