Why has Spotting been changed

Comments

• ABC-Warrior-real
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Shadders_X wrote: »
    Hi,
    No one talks - i have never heard someone talk on BF4, or in the BF V beta. So spotting was an excellent way to tell others on the team that there were enemies in their vicinity. The spot tag did not last forever.

So spotting countered the issue that no one talks in squads or to each other.

To counter this, you have to sneak around, or camp - but then, the slow turning of the players means you cannot react to people coming up behind you.

What this does is make you camp in a corner without significant flank points, or run and gun.

Regards,
    Shadders_X.

Not sure what talking has to do with spotting, but you can still warn others of a danger zone or that enemies are in the vicinity, which personally I prefer. Nothing in the game "makes you camp in a corner". That's down to individual play styles. You're not seriously saying no one ever camped out in previous BF games?

• ilya_lizard
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm very turned off and disappointed by the new approach to the spot mechanics. "3D spotting" as some call it, always was an important part of a core Battlefield gameplay. Disabling the spot (and giving the spot ability only to scouts and only by one gadget practically is a complete disable ) makes the game _much_ less fun for core casual players community, who is still, surprisingly, is where the real money and online presence coming from.
    And - dear "hardcore players" - I'm an ex-special forces NCO, and participated in one war and couple ground operations. Battlefield never was about realism, and it never was about being extremely hardcore. It always was about combining a simulator and arcade aspects into believable, yet easy and fun to play gaming experience. Something you can simply enjoy, and not struggle to "get gut". And I hope it'll stay this way.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11605 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The new spotting mechanic is delicious.

Did I spam the spot button in bf1? You damn right. The entire field was lit up like an xmas tree though. It was too easy to see enemies.

Now, you have to pay attention to your surroundings.

Also, the scout periscope works wonders.
  • Assyriansniper1
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    Hi,

Just got the BFV beta today and I am not impressed. It feels a lot more like COD and not the Battlefield that I have loved and played for years.
    A big part of my distaste I feel is because BFV has changed its spotting mechanics. Why the hell did this have to be changed. Now we have people just camping and sneaking up on each other. It genuinely sucks and takes fun away from the game.

I'll probably just stick with BF1 or find a new game if this very significant mechanics isn't fixed.

Sneaking up on your enemy isn't fair huh. Sneak back! Its part of combat! Dont just run out there and get yourself killed.
  • UberVonBuubies
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    3d spotting was the worst feature of previous battlefield games. It sucked all the life out of interest flanking tactics and visually looked really stupid. The irony is that 3d spotting was worst when you were actually playing the objectives because it made it so easy for the opposing teams snipers to see you and all unload on you. You happen to get a good flank to attack an objective and you get unlucky with a spot and now suddenly magically every enemy knows your exact position. It was beyond stupid. It is pretty simple for me, if the reintroduce 3d spotting I'm not buying BF5.
  • azelenkin0306
    565 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TEKNOCODE wrote: »

Did I spam the spot button in bf1? You damn right. The entire field was lit up like an xmas tree though. It was too easy to see enemies.

In BF1 I didn’t have any problems spotting people far away without dorritos. I have 100% eyesight and never used Scopes on BA rifles. Here I just don’t see anything. Players are blending with the environment and even if they move, I still don’t see them. Rotterdam is bearable, but Narvik is a real nightmare. Any configuration recommendations?
  • StompAGirl
    132 postsMember Member
    edited September 2018
    StompAGirl wrote: »
    Spotting is for scrubs and I've no idea why it was even introduced to begin with.

It's legitimately the reason that I will buy BF5. If they reintroduce it I won't pick it up unless hardcore is implemented properly.

2Lplay

Hard core is for scrubs. Real players join the actual army.

No wars currently worth dying for.

Soldiers don't decide what wars are worth dying for, they follow orders.
  • von_Campenstein
    6621 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They could've kept it for squads, another reason to roll together, not saying mark the guys head forever but light up the general area he was in when spotted so people don't have to yell out inane things like 'by the box' in a sea of boxes.
  • xXCA_RageXx
    1038 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Love when people compare this game to cod yet they want the biggest crutch in the game back so they don't actually have to find their opponent. Keep using the lazy and overused cod comparison, I need a giggle every day.
  • ilya_lizard
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

In BF1 I didn’t have any problems spotting people far away without dorritos. I have 100% eyesight and never used Scopes on BA rifles. Here I just don’t see anything. Players are blending with the environment and even if they move, I still don’t see them. Rotterdam is bearable, but Narvik is a real nightmare. Any configuration recommendations?

So I'm not the only one with this problem. I never got suddenly shot or ambushed from nowhere so often in bf4 or BFI.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11605 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Turn off all of the effect settings. There are four of them, including film grain (I forget the names of the other three).

Adjust the FOV. I had it at 78 in bf1, but find 85 is about right in bfv.

Adjust the brightness of the game. I prefer brighter settings and found 60-70% is about right for my particular tv.

I have heard that the hdr slider can affect a monitor/tv without hdr. I would also recommend testing the slider.
  • von_Campenstein
    6621 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I was blinded out of my mind at 50 brightness, turned it down to 10, worked for the duration of the map, next map it was too dark to see anything...
  • StompAGirl
    132 postsMember Member
    TEKNOCODE you are an endless fount of useful information, thank you for taking the time to post.
  • Shadders_X
    486 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member

Turn off all of the effect settings. There are four of them, including film grain (I forget the names of the other three).

Adjust the brightness of the game. I prefer brighter settings and found 60-70% is about right for my particular tv.

I have heard that the hdr slider can affect a monitor/tv without hdr. I would also recommend testing the slider.
    Hi,
    Does this work on PS4 and XBOX1 ?
    Regards,
    Shadders_X.
  • Noodlesocks
    3697 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    People abused the old spotting system by hitting Q even when they couldn't see an enemy, essentially making the game spot enemies for them. You can still lay down spotting markers and it will turn red if there is an enemy there but only at the center of your crosshair meaning that you actually have to be doing the spotting, not the game.
  • Trokey66
    9160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    INB4 because BF2!
    StompAGirl wrote: »
    After playing for a while, I had pretty much forgotten about the old spotting mechanic, this one makes more sense. Why should an enemy be highlighted and tracked for the entire opposing team to see? Marking where someone "was" or where a group was seen makes for more exciting play. It also means a squad can properly flank an objective without big arrows over their heads just because someone happened to spot them. This time, the enemy know we're in the area, but not precisely where.

I actually think spotting is fairly realistic.
    I know how that sounds - what do you mean STOMP A GIRL ... there's no way a person would run around with a red triangle above their head in a real life war.
    True ... but in a real life war, people would be yelling at each other, motioning to one another to watch out in a particular direction, looking around at each other and asking questions with hand signs to see where the enemy is, talking on the radio with one another, there would be a command structure, there would be intel, ... we have basically NONE of that in game. Sure, you can voice chat with your own squad, but that's nothing like what it would be like if you were literally in a war, standing shoulder to shoulder with people, and someone caught sight of someone running along a hedge row. Just seeing an enemy soldier somewhere would set off a chain reaction of people informing other people around them, their command, etc, that enemy had been seen ... and in that sense I think the spotting mechanic in a game like BF 1 does a pretty good job of simulating that kind of information. It's a way, with a simple button click, for us to simulate yelling out to everyone that he's "over there ...!" while pointing, calling the CO on the radio, people marking positions on maps, etc. It's a kind of short hand in game that has the same basic effect as all of that to provide situational awareness. In real life, troops that are seen by their opponents are reported, and once they've been spotted people often keep track of their movements, try to keep an eye on them, or engage them.
    Think about how you feel now in the Beta, when you are standing there with 10 of your team mates around you and you see an enemy RIGHT THERE .. and you WISH you could just say HEY EVERYBODY HE IS RIGHT THERE SHOOT HIM, but there's just no way to do it, because spotting is now gone. In real life you'd call attention to the enemy and EVERYONE would look that way and see him. Spotting accomplishes that same end.
    Even when you have a squad on voice communications (rare) that doesn't accomplish the same thing .. because you're like having to describe where the enemy is, he's over there! Beside the .. uhh ... I guess that's north, next to that little white fence, beside the tree. What tree. That tree over there . ... no not that tree, the other fence and tree. It's comedy to do on the voice thing what could EASILY be done in real life where you'd just motion in a particular direction and maybe whisper .. "over there" and everybody would easily know wtf you were talking about.

The most effective fire control order is to point!

Using 'corret' fire control orders is pointless with people with no military training.

So you're correct, 3D spotting does emulate such orders and/or shared intelligence.

It could be toned down, for example make the dorito dissappear when you ADS at the apparant target.

BF4 but the principle could still apply.....

• Shadders_X
    486 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    People abused the old spotting system by hitting Q even when they couldn't see an enemy, essentially making the game spot enemies for them. You can still lay down spotting markers and it will turn red if there is an enemy there but only at the center of your crosshair meaning that you actually have to be doing the spotting, not the game.
    Hi,
    It is the combination of no spotting (for me on PS4) and the sheer difficulty in seeing the opponent even when they move, and near inability to see them when they have stopped moving, that makes the game crap.

With spotting, it would at least allow you to know that hey are there, letting others on the team know, since no one talks to one another in the game (PS4).

Someone also mentioned flanking - on BF4 PS4 it was irrelevant whether you could spot or not. No one really played as a team - and for Locker, every time there is a game, the side were flanked via the snow path, even when we had spotting. Spotting made no damned difference.

If the game is too hard for the casual gamer, then they will probably leave it after a few months. Not a problem for DICE/EA, they have your money - and would therefore need less servers to provide for multiplayer - as everyone has gone elsewhere.

Regards,
    Shadders_X,
  • StompAGirl
    132 postsMember Member
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    The most effective fire control order is to point!

Using 'corret' fire control orders is pointless with people with no military training.

So you're correct, 3D spotting does emulate such orders and/or shared intelligence.

It could be toned down, for example make the dorito dissappear when you ADS at the apparant target.

BF4 but the principle could still apply.....

Exactly.
  • TEKNOCODE
    Shadders_X wrote: »

Hi,
    Does this work on PS4 and XBOX1 ?
    Regards,
    Shadders_X.

The settings are on both consoles; however, each may be applied slightly differently for each console.

Keep in mind, tv/monitor settings can affect the console settings as well. As an example, brightness of 60% within the game may look completely different on my tv than yours. If my tv settings are generally brighter, I may need to turn down the game brightness to compensate (and vice versa).

I had the in game brightness for siege set at 90% for my old tv; however, I had to decrease it to 70% on my new tv.

It’s all trial and error.
  • biotek7
    228 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The spotting really got out of hand and BFV plays well without it. They've mentioned before they may tweak the visuals to make it slightly easier to see player models. Let's give them a chance to make their game without relying on old/outdated techniques.