Why has Spotting been changed

Comments

• GrizzGolf
    1442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I like the new spotting. Im less likely to get killed for doing something stupid
  • Radious1987
    511 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    3D spotting was bit too OP, but it helped team and was actually part of teamplay in some way. New spotting is entirely useless, helps nobody and nobody will ever use it, therefore as useless feature can be removed.
  • 3D spotting was bit too OP, but it helped team and was actually part of teamplay in some way. New spotting is entirely useless, helps nobody and nobody will ever use it, therefore as useless feature can be removed.

This is balanced out by the fact that recon is the wet dream of half of the newer FPS community. There will be plenty of recons and their spotting.
  • OswaldBates
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    Lol I remember when 3D spotting was brought into the main series with all the memes about shooting Doritos in 3 on the old forums. Now people actually miss 3D spotting. The community’s has definitely changed.
  • I don’t blame people for thinking that spotting is off in BFV, after BF1, but I think it’s hard to argue that 3D spotting was way too ridiculous.

It didn’t take long to almost instinctively spam the spot button to find people you never would have seen. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve killed without ever physically seeing them.
  • Gadianzero
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Agreed. I thought it was a disappointment that spotting was removed. Overall I was hoping for a sequel to BF4. This feels like a reskinned BF1.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Gadianzero wrote: »
    Agreed. I thought it was a disappointment that spotting was removed. Overall I was hoping for a sequel to BF4. This feels like a reskinned BF1.

So its reskinned version of BF1 yet different???? Odd.

Saying something is a reskin in a negative tone yet wishing for a sequel to BF4, which was more of a reskin of BF3, equally as odd.
  • UsainskiSemperFi
    564 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    i want to strangle everyone who want to turn back 3D spotting LITERALLY! :smiley:
    Post edited by UsainskiSemperFi on
  • phoenix1368
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Love when people compare this game to cod yet they want the biggest crutch in the game back so they don't actually have to find their opponent. Keep using the lazy and overused cod comparison, I need a giggle every day.

look, you dont like spotting, it is cool, go play hard core. nobody stop you from that. spotting is fair game for everybody, you can spot the enemy, and enemy can spot you. if you dont use it play hard core. stop saying "crutch". You cant force people to like what you enjoyed, if you want to do that, I would suggest you to live in China or Russia, since they like to force people.

3:10 mark .... Enjoy.

dont take me wrong
    3d spotting is crazy
    my bottom line is I sign up for a shoot out not hide and seek.

I play PS4 Open Beta
    First, i notice that (I dont know if that is true or not) when you crosshair is on the enemy, the enemy is spotted on the mini map. I dont see that happening during the beta
    Second, the spawn time is too long during the beta, the dice has already conformed that the time will be reduced.

I think if the my first point is proved to be true and the reason why it did not happened during beta was a bug. then problem is partially solved. plus the reduce spawn time. I believe that the problem is solved.

The beta felt very empty. sometimes, I have to spend quite a bit of time to running around to seek a enemy.
    The reason why I wanted the mini map spotting is because in term of understanding during the beta, I spend too much time seek enemy, instead of shooting.
  • phoenix1368
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Koolaide3 wrote: »
    I am going to lie, I wanna my "FIRE AND GET SPOTTED" back. I am just so sick of getting shoot from behind and under the fxxxing tree~!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The bxxch hide under the tree, it is just fxxking not possible to know. It will take a sec for you to realize that motherfxxxer is under the tree, even when you stand in front of him.
    This is what happened, when map gets too big. Too many spot that you can hide. I am going to lie, those people disgust me. they dont care about how many people they kill, they dont care how many times they die. They just wanna hide there for that one bloody kill, and he happy for rest of the round.

FYI, the spotting scope can definitely detect people hiding under trees. Whenever I pass the scope over the tree areas, I typically find at least 1-2. And someone else usually pops them before I can get my rifle out (which tells me they were looking for them as well). My point is if you have even one recon who is actively using their scope and or flares, your team benefits immensely.

Spotting is the domain of recons now.

i wish recon does its job. before I hate recon so much, even their on my side. Now, I just wish they keep spotting people and fire flare gun. lol

• DieHarder55
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

The beta felt very empty. sometimes, I have to spend quite a bit of time to running around to seek a enemy.
    The reason why I wanted the mini map spotting is because in term of understanding during the beta, I spend too much time seek enemy, instead of shooting.

Interesting how we all have different opinions of the beta. I had no issues running across enemies. Never found it boring. Watched the mini-map and listened to changing status of match. I found it no different than any of the other 4 Battlefields I play. It's mainly the large maps with 7 flags that gets quite boring running around looking for the enemy.
  • warslag
    1606 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Spotting should only be a generalized marker at a 3D location. Markers should only represent a location in 3D space. Period.

Markers shouldn't be overly bright either. If their purpose is to notify your squad there's activity/person/vehicle in X direction then they should be representable as such.

"Hey guys there's something over here" -> Points -> marker positioned at point location.

It's up to the squad members to look and identify.

Both R6 Siege and ARMA have this type of indicator.

I think the "original BF game mechanics" brought back to BFV are showing a lot of players that they aren't as good as they think. The glaring clarity at how much the recent eras game mechanics (BC2 - BF1) actually aided/helped them is crushing their ego's.

This doesn't really make sense because every player had the same advantage and disadvantage from spotting.

Love when people compare this game to cod yet they want the biggest crutch in the game back so they don't actually have to find their opponent. Keep using the lazy and overused cod comparison, I need a giggle every day.

look, you dont like spotting, it is cool, go play hard core. nobody stop you from that. spotting is fair game for everybody, you can spot the enemy, and enemy can spot you. if you dont use it play hard core. stop saying "crutch". You cant force people to like what you enjoyed, if you want to do that, I would suggest you to live in China or Russia, since they like to force people.

3:10 mark .... Enjoy.

In the video the dev says "your finger shouldn't be resting on the spotting button your finger should be resting on your trigger".

Q is the key bind for spotting and left mouse button is the key bind for fire/trigger. So you use different hands let alone fingers for spotting and firing. It looks to me like Dan Berlin was virtue signalling that he was on the side of players who are upset about spotting.

He obviously must know as a senior developer that the key binds for firing and spotting are completely different?

It just seems like some changes are made to Battlefield on the strength of how upset people are about a feature.

This is my take on the changes to spotting:

The orange triangle above players was put into Battlefield to help some players to see enemies in order to make players more equal.

What it really did was help some players who were able to use both the spotting key bind and the trigger key bind simultaneously. Some players actually re-bound the Q key so they couldn't spot at all. At first Q was hard bound to spotting but players demanded on the forums that they be able to change it.

Seems like Daniel Berlin wants to blame players for using his feature rather than admit it backfired and he has had to remove it now. They gradually changed spotting so that it was harder to spot at distance or from planes or through particle effects etc. Now they have removed it.

But why try to blame players for using this feature? It was put in by devs and removed by devs. Just admit it devs if you think it was a mistake.

The current maps from BF1 and BFV are very cluttered. It is hard to see enemies. The devs have clearly now decided it helps some players more if you CANNOT see enemies than if you can.

In the end we will end up going back to how it was in BF2 with no 'Dorito' spotting and less cluttered maps.

Why not just use BF2 as the mould for Battlefield and stop wasting everyone's time with some of the features which they seem to end up being changed back anyway?
  • jimonedk
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    Simply put, you all prefer COD. BF was a realistic game once upon a time but all the lame run-and-gunners of COD ruined that since EA is about $$$ and not about making awesome games. EA screwed this game to oblivion, it literally is a version of COD with vehicles now.

Pre-order generation is to blame for the crap we see now in video games. Thanks!

It's okey. You'll understand once you reach your teens.

EA may be money grapping, but how does that work, when there's no paid dlc in BFV and only micro transactions is cosmetics?
    Yes you can pre-order the game. You gave been able to pre-order games for many years now.
    And why compare with cod? Yes they are both fps, but so is Unreal Tournament.
    Cod is an arena shooter like Quake, which is was build over, back then.
    Battlefield is a sandbox shooter. They both have their ups and downs.
    Battlefield has never been realistic. There's realism in it, but it ain't realistic.
    The sound of the shooting is realistic. The bulletdrop and damage isn't. It's a game not a military Sim.
  • ragnarok013
    3916 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    GrizzGolf wrote: »
    I like the new spotting. Im less likely to get killed for doing something stupid

But doing something stupid is the most fair reason for a death in a game. Being stupid should be punished by the game play not overlooked.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6762 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote:
    This doesn't really make sense because every player had the same advantage and disadvantage from spotting.
    The vast majority of players would simply spam the spot key and let it find players that they couldn't see. Then track and shoot the dorito. No matter what evasive actions the spotted player took the spotter always knew where they were.

I get spotted because a few pixels of my helmet was visible at 300m through a second floor window when someone was randomly spamming Q. I go downstairs to a different room and I'm tracked by the dorito. Anyone in the visual 3D area that didn't know I was there and would have normally been caught off guard (ambushed) now had a visual indicator alarming them.

^^^^ That sounds fair and balanced?
    warslag wrote:
    In the video the dev says "your finger shouldn't be resting on the spotting button your finger should be resting on your trigger".

Q is the key bind for spotting and left mouse button is the key bind for fire/trigger. So you use different hands let alone fingers for spotting and firing. It looks to me like Dan Berlin was virtue signalling that he was on the side of players who are upset about spotting.

He obviously must know as a senior developer that the key binds for firing and spotting are completely different?

It just seems like some changes are made to Battlefield on the strength of how upset people are about a feature.

The orange triangle above players was put into Battlefield to help some players to see enemies in order to make players more equal.

What it really did was help some players who were able to use both the spotting key bind and the trigger key bind simultaneously. Some players actually re-bound the Q key so they couldn't spot at all. At first Q was hard bound to spotting but players demanded on the forums that they be able to change it.

Seems like Daniel Berlin wants to blame players for using his feature rather than admit it backfired and he has had to remove it now. They gradually changed spotting so that it was harder to spot at distance or from planes or through particle effects etc. Now they have removed it.

But why try to blame players for using this feature? It was put in by devs and removed by devs. Just admit it devs if you think it was a mistake.

The current maps from BF1 and BFV are very cluttered. It is hard to see enemies. The devs have clearly now decided it helps some players more if you CANNOT see enemies than if you can.

In the end we will end up going back to how it was in BF2 with no 'Dorito' spotting and less cluttered maps.

Why not just use BF2 as the mould for Battlefield and stop wasting everyone's time with some of the features which they seem to end up being changed back anyway?

He's well aware of how the spotting system works. He meant "You should be using your abilities, not relying on the game to assist you".... "Play the Game, Not the UI".

Jackfrags quickly cleared it up. "Putting the reliance back on your eyes and ears...", then confirmed by Berlin.

That was pretty clear. Instead of peaking a window/corner etc and mouse panning while spamming Q we want you to have to rely on your own ability.

Dev talk #2 player visibility

• warslag
    1606 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited October 2018
    warslag wrote:
    The vast majority of players would simply spam the spot key and let it find players that they couldn't see. Then track and shoot the dorito. No matter what evasive actions the spotted player took the spotter always knew where they were.

I get spotted because a few pixels of my helmet was visible at 300m through a second floor window when someone was randomly spamming Q. I go downstairs to a different room and I'm tracked by the dorito. Anyone in the visual 3D area that didn't know I was there and would have normally been caught off guard (ambushed) now had a visual indicator alarming them.

^^^^ That sounds fair and balanced?

I have to completely disagree with you.

Firstly, the vast majority of players do not spot at all. Even though the Dorito spotting was designed to help them.

But if you do get spotted the advantage or disadvantage is the same for every player in the game since the feature is available to everyone.

warslag wrote:

He's well aware of how the spotting system works. He meant "You should be using your abilities, not relying on the game to assist you".... "Play the Game, Not the UI".

Jackfrags quickly cleared it up. "Putting the reliance back on your eyes and ears...", then confirmed by Berlin.

That was pretty clear. Instead of peaking a window/corner etc and mouse panning while spamming Q we want you to have to rely on your own ability.

Dev talk #2 player visibility

I think that giving an in-game 'aid' based on a feature that the sort of players who need an 'aid' don't use is not particularly smart in the first place.

The players who do spot tend to be players who use more keys when playing and are therefore probably more adept at the game.

What I'm saying is that the intended purpose of the Dorito backfires and helps the better players rather than the players who the Dorito was intended to help.

It was the devs that put the Doritos in the game in the first place. Rather than blame players for using this feature why not own up to having made a mistake or at least take responsibility for it rather than blaming players or tell them to "use their eyes and ears"?

………………………...
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield was better with spotting. Even if just for personal use. So much going on in the game with the detailed enviroments, spotting was a nice way to not lose your targets so easily. I grt why people don't want to be lit up for the entire enemy team though.

Snipers feel crazy overpowered in this battlefield though with the lack of scope glare and no spotting feature for infantry. This also might be the first battlefield where the soldier camos actually made people near invisible at a distance. I had an easier time finding prone enemies in BF1's sandstorm than in the snow in BF5

Crazy powerful? Lmao all I here on the forums is people complaining they are too weak. To me they seem pretty balanced now. You actually have to find a sniper instead of pressing the spot button until you had a dorito to shoot at.

People complain about them because of the reduced body shot damage. Im complaining about them due to the buff camping has gotten in this game and the ease of headshot kills due to less scope sway and no bullet drop.

I rarely used to get headshot by snipers in previous battlefield titles. Now im getting headshot by rank 1 noobs who haven't even played the game. And cant get revenge due to poor kill cams and lack of spotting.

They were not noobs, and there is bullet drop lol.
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I just think camping is too strong. At the very least people should show on the map for a moment when they fire their weapon like in BF3

Look for the muzzle flash. Don't stare at your map lol.
  • madman001able
    InnerD wrote: »
    I just think camping is too strong. At the very least people should show on the map for a moment when they fire their weapon like in BF3

they do show on the map when they fire, what game are you playing?

The game where i can prone on A objective in the snow and kill 10 people without getting hunted and killed. They are literally pandering to the hardcore battlefield crowd who loves to camp and snipe.

Actually they are bringing the game closer to what it once was, it is dropping the hand holding mechanics that were added in slowly over the years since BF 2. It still has a few left to shed but they are in place to ease the noob into the game.
  • Hawxxeye
    7823 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    InnerD wrote: »

they do show on the map when they fire, what game are you playing?

The game where i can prone on A objective in the snow and kill 10 people without getting hunted and killed. They are literally pandering to the hardcore battlefield crowd who loves to camp and snipe.

Actually they are bringing the game closer to what it once was, it is dropping the hand holding mechanics that were added in slowly over the years since BF 2. It still has a few left to shed but they are in place to ease the noob into the game.

This?
    10fc650.jpg