Why has Spotting been changed

1234568»

Comments

• madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    InnerD wrote: »
    I just think camping is too strong. At the very least people should show on the map for a moment when they fire their weapon like in BF3

they do show on the map when they fire, what game are you playing?

The game where i can prone on A objective in the snow and kill 10 people without getting hunted and killed. They are literally pandering to the hardcore battlefield crowd who loves to camp and snipe.

Actually they are bringing the game closer to what it once was, it is dropping the hand holding mechanics that were added in slowly over the years since BF 2. It still has a few left to shed but they are in place to ease the noob into the game.

This?
    10fc650.jpg

?
  • trip1ex
    5247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    The vast majority of players would simply spam the spot key and let it find players that they couldn't see. Then track and shoot the dorito. No matter what evasive actions the spotted player took the spotter always knew where they were.

I get spotted because a few pixels of my helmet was visible at 300m through a second floor window when someone was randomly spamming Q. I go downstairs to a different room and I'm tracked by the dorito. Anyone in the visual 3D area that didn't know I was there and would have normally been caught off guard (ambushed) now had a visual indicator alarming them.

^^^^ That sounds fair and balanced?

He's well aware of how the spotting system works. He meant "You should be using your abilities, not relying on the game to assist you".... "Play the Game, Not the UI".

Jackfrags quickly cleared it up. "Putting the reliance back on your eyes and ears...", then confirmed by Berlin.

That was pretty clear. Instead of peaking a window/corner etc and mouse panning while spamming Q we want you to have to rely on your own ability.

1. Spamming Q could have been neutered. They could have easily made it like the way shooting in a tank works in BF1 where you have 5 shells at a time. and your ammo is unlimited, but it takes awhile for a shell to reload so if you shoot your 5 shots quickly then you will have no ammo for awhile until your shots start to reload again. IF they gave every player 5 spots, which took a similar time to reload as tank shells, then this would greatly reduce if not eliminate spotting spam.

2. Your knowledge of a player position after spotting them only lasts for so long. You can't re-spot an enemy if they get behind cover completely. So no you don't always know where a spotted player is no matter what actions they take.

3 IF you were spotted in a house and went downstairs you won't be easily tracked in the house. Again your time being spotted is limited. Also anyone in the area that didn't know you were there should be alerted to your presence if you were spotted. That's the pt of spotting. IT's just a quick visual way to telling teammates where enemies are. So if someone saw you in a house and reported it then your teammates should know. That's the whole pt.

4. There is a perk in BF1 to reduce the effectiveness of spotting. It reduces the length of time you're spotted by 2 seconds. I think there is also a perk that prevents a flare from spotting you if you stand still. The options to reduce the effectiveness of spotting are in BF1 as we speak.

5. You are using your eyes and ears to spot enemies. Most of the time that's how players are spotted by Q in the first place. Someone heard them or saw them.

• Unyinz
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex wrote: »

1. Spamming Q could have been neutered. They could have easily made it like the way shooting in a tank works in BF1 where you have 5 shells at a time. and your ammo is unlimited, but it takes awhile for a shell to reload so if you shoot your 5 shots quickly then you will have no ammo for awhile until your shots start to reload again. IF they gave every player 5 spots, which took a similar time to reload as tank shells, then this would greatly reduce if not eliminate spotting spam.

2. Your knowledge of a player position after spotting them only lasts for so long. You can't re-spot an enemy if they get behind cover completely. So no you don't always know where a spotted player is no matter what actions they take.

3 IF you were spotted in a house and went downstairs you won't be easily tracked in the house. Again your time being spotted is limited. Also anyone in the area that didn't know you were there should be alerted to your presence if you were spotted. That's the pt of spotting. IT's just a quick visual way to telling teammates where enemies are. So if someone saw you in a house and reported it then your teammates should know. That's the whole pt.

4. There is a perk in BF1 to reduce the effectiveness of spotting. It reduces the length of time you're spotted by 2 seconds. I think there is also a perk that prevents a flare from spotting you if you stand still. The options to reduce the effectiveness of spotting are in BF1 as we speak.

5. You are using your eyes and ears to spot enemies. Most of the time that's how players are spotted by Q in the first place. Someone heard them or saw them.

3. The minimap lets you know if someone is vertically above or below you. This makes it pretty easy to track people, even in houses or bunkers.

5. There are definitely people who spam Q and spot people that they can hardly see. You don't need clear sight of someone to spot them, the mechanic can easily be abused. I commonly quickly scan over common sniper ridges and can spot people when I can barely see the tip of their helmet if I stand still for a second.
  • trip1ex
    5247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Unyinz wrote: »
    trip1ex wrote: »

3. The minimap lets you know if someone is vertically above or below you. This makes it pretty easy to track people, even in houses or bunkers.

5. There are definitely people who spam Q and spot people that they can hardly see. You don't need clear sight of someone to spot them, the mechanic can easily be abused. I commonly quickly scan over common sniper ridges and can spot people when I can barely see the tip of their helmet if I stand still for a second.

3. lol it doesn't change the fact a 3d spot only lasts so long and that you can't re-spot the person behindsolid cover. IF you 3d spot someone in a window and he runs downstairs, that spot still only lasts ~5 seconds or whatever it is. So you fairly quickly lost track of the person. Nevermind saying you can easily track people in a bunker is dumb because you can't spot someone (with Q) in a bunker unless you're in the bunker yourself or at the entrance looking into it.

5. Did you read my first point?!?!??! The one where I said they could greatly reduce or eliminate Q spamming?!??!? I mean someone says in the very first sentence how they could pretty much eliminate Q spamming and then you spend most of your post telling me that players spam Q and abuse it?!?? Makes me think you didn't read my post.
  • trip1ex
    @Unyinz

3. A 3d spot only lasts so long and a player can't be respotted behind solid cover. If you 3d spot an enemy in a window and he runs downstairs, that spot still only lasts ~5 sec or whatever it is. You fairly quickly lose track of the person. Nevermind that saying you can easily track people in a bunker is dumb because you can't spot someone using Q in a bunker unless you're in the bunker yourself or at the entrance looking into it.

5. Did you read my first point? The one where I said they could greatly reduce or eliminate Q spamming and a way to do it? I mean someone says in the very first sentence how they could pretty much eliminate Q spamming and then you spend most of your post telling me that players spam Q and abuse it? Makes me think you didn't read my post.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They need to bring 4D spotting.
  • doctorrocktor
    1955 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Jarp75 wrote: »
    I really hope that DICE will not listen to all the whiners that will have 3D-Spotting back. The lack of 3D-Spotting is one of the main reasons I will buy a Battlefield game again.
    Dice have said a number of times they will not go back to the old system thank god.
  • GrizzGolf
    1442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    With the new spotting system I survive way more than I did in BF1
  • DeadlyDanDaMan
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2018
    GrizzGolf wrote: »
    With the new spotting system I survive way more than I did in BF1

Yeah, because your Dorito isn't giving away your position from a mile and a half away anymore, for everyone and their brother to shoot at :D
  • DisguisedMike
    441 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    Not sure I want to smell the enemy. lol
  • TyroneLoyd_TV
    1791 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    Not sure I want to smell the enemy. lol

Ugh I'd rather not smelling the people at gamescom made me almost barf....