Tank Resupply Depots

WinterWarhurst
58 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
edited September 12
I loved the vehicle play, particularly the new turret traverse system, however the biggest drawback is the resupply depot system.

While I would love some variant of this system, the current one creates a lot of problems. The meta is essentially to camp these points, which becomes repetitive and artificial, and discourages PTFO. I think we should be able to resupply on cap in addition, such as the case in War Thunder (and only on an objective you hold).

Far too often would friendlies inadvertently, or even purposefully, blow up our own supply depots, particularly to troll friendly tankers, if they didn't get the spawn, or if you're alive too long, etc. I think this system will become even more exploitable with time, by both friendlies and enemies alike.

Furthermore often enemies, or friendlies, would just destroy every single depot on the map religiously, and this just ruins the entire vehicle experience for both sides.

Furthermore, I had my tank stolen perhaps 5+ times while rebuilding supply depots, both by friendlies and enemies. I wanted this to work, but in the end I didn't even bother, I just rolled all the way back to our spawn. It takes the tanker just far too long to build the depot, and we have no smoke grenades, so that makes it all the harder.

I'm not necessarily saying remove the resupply depot system, but I'm saying it really makes the vehicles far less enjoyable in the current form it's in.

Post edited by WinterWarhurst on

Comments

• GiovannY-398
    744 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I actually destroyed an depot by accident because I hit it with my tank :#

• WinterWarhurst
    Yes I destroyed a few accidentally at first, seldom made that mistake afterwards.

I have a hilarious video of a team mate dynamiting the depot in front of me then climbing on my tank and teabagging me if DICE need video evidence of team depot trolling hahaha!
  • DukeSan27
    649 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Yes I destroyed a few accidentally at first, seldom made that mistake afterwards.

I have a hilarious video of a team mate dynamiting the depot in front of me then climbing on my tank and teabagging me if DICE need video evidence of team depot trolling hahaha!

With Tanks being tethered to Supply Depots more and more people will think that Tanks are camping, and we will see more such behavior. Sniper No 20 always claims he can do better than you in the Tank.
  • Rafael
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They should not be destroyable and should not be so sparse.

In fact, they should pop at each flag taken.
  • dmccar1001
    490 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    You should be able to destroy an enemy controlled supply depot (the depots should be in the Capture zone). But you should not be able to destroy a Friendly depot. They fixed the griefing of the AA from BF1 in the Beta (bullets go right through friendly player) and they need to fix the griefing of the supply dumps. They should also make it that if you shoot a friendly 5+ times (you know the angry players that need to shoot you with their guns) you get kicked from the game. It is harassment and should be banned.
  • MurfCr
    901 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I mined the hell out of them....easy kills.
  • WinterWarhurst
    I should also note that one unfortunate consequence of this system is that it can encourage tankers to destroy infantry ammo and health crates on the nearest objective to mitigate the risk of panzerfaust attacks, etc. I think the scarcity system here contributes to a lose-lose scenario for everyone involved.

I try not to do this, but very often this area is very exposed, and it won't be long before tankers will just constantly shell these locations from supply depots (think D & B on Rotterdam, and C, F & D on Narvik) to farm kills, etc. Which is basically a new iteration of 'spawn' killing.
  • WinterWarhurst
    MurfCr wrote: »

See this also really damages your own team, because if they are resupplying there, the enemy can easily detonate your friendly mines on a team mate, although I don't blame you for doing it, the game encourages it!
  • WinterWarhurst
    edited September 12
    dmccar1001 wrote: »
    You should be able to destroy an enemy controlled supply depot (the depots should be in the Capture zone). But you should not be able to destroy a Friendly depot. They fixed the griefing of the AA from BF1 in the Beta (bullets go right through friendly player) and they need to fix the griefing of the supply dumps. They should also make it that if you shoot a friendly 5+ times (you know the angry players that need to shoot you with their guns) you get kicked from the game. It is harassment and should be banned.

There isn't really such a thing as friendly and enemy controlled depots, I very often play over extended on a supply depot, say between D & B when both are enemy controlled.

I'm not necessarily against these things being destroyed, it's more the repetitive and artificial meta the system as a whole encourages. It just feels so wrong playing the entire game depot to depot, it ruins the fluidity and flow, creativity and freedom of vehicle play Battlefield is so loved for.
  • Rafael
    MurfCr wrote: »

Haha, good idea!
  • Rafael
    edited September 12
    Just having more bullets and more armor would help mitigate the issues, at least until launch, and if we have ressuply stations at every flag we capture, or at least most of them, then it would pay off to be more aggressive, as the more you attack, the bigger is the freedom of movement.

Plus, in case of a destroyed Depot, engineers should be able to fix them (as long as they see a sign that it is destroyed).
  • boutneus
    2353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Just the whole supply depot nonsense is a bad idea. The only ones that should be there is in the out of bounds spawnarea, indestructible in case your desperate for ammo and no1 is dropping. And tying vehicles to them is dumb, just makes the gameplay slower and more campy
  • Hawxxeye
    1604 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I once tried a tank in the day 2 of the grand operation as the attacker side and because we had moved up a sector it was not possible to reach the supply depot on as a vehicle cause it was now out of bounds
  • WinterWarhurst
    Just to update you guys, I’ve requested this feature: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/158060/request-to-automatically-resupply-tanks-while-stationary-on-controlled-objectives-like-war-thunder#latest

I think this kind of system could solve the issue, let me know what you think!

TL; DR

Request to automatically resupply tanks while stationary on friendly controlled objectives (as is the case in War Thunder).
  • Agent00Soul
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I loved the vehicle play, particularly the new turret traverse system, however the biggest drawback is the resupply depot system.

While I would love some variant of this system, the current one creates a lot of problems. The meta is essentially to camp these points, which becomes repetitive and artificial, and discourages PTFO. I think we should be able to resupply on cap in addition, such as the case in War Thunder (and only on an objective you hold).

Far too often would friendlies inadvertently, or even purposefully, blow up our own supply depots, particularly to troll friendly tankers, if they didn't get the spawn, or if you're alive too long, etc. I think this system will become even more exploitable with time, by both friendlies and enemies alike.

Furthermore often enemies, or friendlies, would just destroy every single depot on the map religiously, and this just ruins the entire vehicle experience for both sides.

Furthermore, I had my tank stolen perhaps 5+ times while rebuilding supply depots, both by friendlies and enemies. I wanted this to work, but in the end I didn't even bother, I just rolled all the way back to our spawn. It takes the tanker just far too long to build the depot, and we have no smoke grenades, so that makes it all the harder.

I'm not necessarily saying remove the resupply depot system, but I'm saying it really makes the vehicles far less enjoyable in the current form it's in.

Tanks are already OP. I can MVP in it most games easily.

Friendly trolling is not anyone elses problem. Complaints like this are why we cant even have realistic friendly fire.
  • smokintom214
    790 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Tanks are already OP. I can MVP in it most games easily.

Friendly trolling is not anyone elses problem. Complaints like this are why we cant even have realistic friendly fire.

I would love friendly fire. My primary mode in bf1 was hardcore :)
  • RantingTheRant
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    People complain about destructible supply depots, probably because they don't know that you can construct the destroyed depot site.
  • DukeSan27
    649 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    People complain about destructible supply depots, probably because they don't know that you can construct the destroyed depot site.

Read the OP. We know they can be re-built. The problem is when you get out to build, the Tank gets stolen.
  • dmccar1001
    490 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

That was not obvious at all … Resupply depots should be resupply for everyone that way they would be defended and Supports would be near them as well.