Slow down Sprint speed

Candysalmon
65 postsMember Member
The Sprint speed is ridiculously fast, I think it needs to be toned down some, like 10-15%

Comments

• von_Campenstein
    5694 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I don't mind it being fast, you're running for your life but then there need to be a cooldown.
  • Candysalmon
    65 postsMember Member
    I don't mind it being fast, you're running for your life but then there need to be a cooldown.

Cooldown would never work, this isn't a survival game, there has always been unlimited sprint in bf games, its just too fast,

and running for your life is a horrible argument for super human speed
  • crabman169
    12285 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Cooldown would never work, this isn't a survival game, there has always been unlimited sprint in bf games, its just too fast,

and running for your life is a horrible argument for super human speed

Limited stamia was a stable mechanic for the battlefield franchise from 1942 to 2142.
    Classes even had different levels of stamina and armour to compensate (bf2). So for example the support class only had half as much stamina as the spec Ops class but could withstand more body shots.

The speed in bfv is fine hell I even thought it was slightly slow
  • CaptainHardware
    46 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Early battlefield games did have limited sprint, but they also had a gunplay meta that wasn't so massively based around fully automatic weapons fired from the standing position as is now the case. BF1942 and BF2 placed a lot of focus and advantage on going prone and firing single shots because the guns were not very accurate otherwise, and bolt action iron sight rifles could kill you with a single hyperaccurate shot. This is totally missing from BFV, and no way is it going to be the way the game evolves.
  • BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Early battlefield games did have limited sprint, but they also had a gunplay meta that wasn't so massively based around fully automatic weapons fired from the standing position as is now the case. BF1942 and BF2 placed a lot of focus and advantage on going prone and firing single shots because the guns were not very accurate otherwise, and bolt action iron sight rifles could kill you with a single hyperaccurate shot. This is totally missing from BFV, and no way is it going to be the way the game evolves.

why not? I think it would be an improvement, at least for the PC version.
  • Yeah. slow it down so you can complain worse at how unable you are to withstand being shot at.....

• Hawxxeye
    2046 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah. slow it down so you can complain worse at how unable you are to withstand being shot at.....
    Bullets are some something one is supposed to outrun/dodge. They are something one is supposed to take cover from, preemptively if possible
  • BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    The speed people can move while they are sprinting is fine imho.
    What is not fine is the speed they can move when they are not sprinting and can thus use their weapon while dodging these airshoft velocity bullets. I wish there was some inertia that prevented instantly changing directions without a slowdown and a new acceleration
    Yeah. slow it down so you can complain worse at how unable you are to withstand being shot at.....

posted this elsewhere here's a set of ideas:

-Sprinting goes along a "Speed curve".. Basically "sprinting from ruined building to a ruined building across the street"- can keep it's current speed, but sprinting down that street is going to have your speed going along a curve. In addition there should be a stamina bar, but when you reach "the end" of the stamina bar you don't stop (like in BF1942-2142) you instead experience a slightly more dramatic drop in "sprint/run"-speed (still slightly faster than running) you'll also have to deal with increased sway, making more noise/gasping/panting/mumbling-to-oneself, you'll have more "momentum" and be slower at changing directions.

-Sprinting is/should be Loud, gets louder if you run out of stamina. Loudness is footsteps at first, then heavy breathing and perhaps mumbling. I'd heavily prefer there to be no "perks" or whatever that would counter-this, at least not without some kind of other penalty being incurred.

• MacaqueX
    626 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 15
    BetaFief wrote: »
    What is not fine is the speed they can move when they are not sprinting and can thus use their weapon while dodging these airshoft velocity bullets. I wish there was some inertia that prevented instantly changing directions without a slowdown and a new acceleration

-Sprinting goes along a "Speed curve".. Basically "sprinting from ruined building to a ruined building across the street"- can keep it's current speed, but sprinting down that street is going to have your speed going along a curve. In addition there should be a stamina bar, but when you reach "the end" of the stamina bar you don't stop (like in BF1942-2142) you instead experience a slightly more dramatic drop in "sprint/run"-speed (still slightly faster than running) you'll also have to deal with increased sway, making more noise/gasping/panting/mumbling-to-oneself, you'll have more "momentum" and be slower at changing directions.

-Sprinting is/should be Loud, gets louder if you run out of stamina. Loudness is footsteps at first, then heavy breathing and perhaps mumbling. I'd heavily prefer there to be no "perks" or whatever that would counter-this, at least not without some kind of other penalty being incurred.

For single player game that would be great for immersion but for multy it would be to much and ruin gunplay. I still find BFV little slow but it is ok, but i was hooked on crysis maximum speed for 4 years and find bfbc to slow at that time maybe that is why i like faster running, bad company felt like watching yt video on 0.5 speed.
  • Kunstula
    346 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Yes, what you describe is momentum. People kept complaining about 'sluggish' movement so they make soldiers move with hardly any momentum, but it's simple laws of physics and it's absolutely needed to make soldier movement resemble actual human movement. The problem is that if you make soldier move much faster than real life combined with bullets being much slower than real life, then you get a lot intended/unintended bullet dodging.
    Another problem with a lack of momentum is that balance will shift in favor of high rpm weapons, because the high volume of fire can compensate the increased difficulty or even the entire impossibility of movement anticipation. You can just spray so that some bullets will usually hit, but this is far more problematic for weapons that have lower rpm as you need to be more accurate as the rpm goes down. In other words, the movement model has a very strong influence on weapon balance.

I can't believe the devs still don't seem to understand that relatively slow bullets with fast movement is a very bad combination. BF4 movement was a good example of how badly that turned out, while BF1 was a major improvement in that regard. Of course players will keep complaining that they can't make instant 90 degree turns or u-turns while maintaining top speed, but this is one of those things where common sense should rule over complaints.
  • ragnarok013
    871 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Moderator
    The Sprint speed is ridiculously fast, I think it needs to be toned down some, like 10-15%

I vehemently disagreed, we finally have a sprint speed that feels good like BF3. I don't want to plod for 5 minutes trying to get back to an objective; I want to respawn and get back to supporting my squad as soon as possible - especially since we still have the prohibition of spawning on squadmates who supposedly (but not usually) under fire which artificially splits squads when DICE wants to encourage squads to stay together.
  • BetaFief
    BetaFief wrote: »

For single player game that would be great for immersion but for multy it would be to much and ruin gunplay. I still find BFV little slow but it is ok, but i was hooked on crysis maximum speed for 4 years and find bfbc to slow at that time maybe that is why i like faster running, bad company felt like watching yt video on 0.5 speed.

I'm not so sure it would ruin gunplay.. I think it could change gunplay, but perhaps gunplay needs/needed to be changed/adjusted anyway..

I mean don't get me wrong I like "fast games" too, but I prefer them to not be set in a "realistic-looking" ww2.. (though Day of Infamy is actually quite fast regardless of it's mechanics)
  • CptMIFF
    141 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    And here I was thinking that the sprinting felt slow :P
    You all want slower sprint on these open maps we tried in the beta? crazy..
    Not being able to hit every shot or whats the problem?
  • BetaFief
    CptMIFF wrote: »
    And here I was thinking that the sprinting felt slow :P
    You all want slower sprint on these open maps we tried in the beta? crazy..
    Not being able to hit every shot or whats the problem?

it's about pacing really.
    I'm not against "fast sprinting" persay, but I am against being able to sprint forever without making noise or incurring some penalties, hence I argue for a speed curve.
    as far as the maps and the rest of the gameplay are concerned I think those are things that might need to be adjusted too.
  • CptMIFF
    141 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    BetaFief: yeah I can agree on that. Footstep noise needs a lot of attention in this game. I think you should be able to run quite far and then maybe a little bit slower but running out of stamina in these wide open maps is a bad idea in my opinion. Depends a bit I guess but the trend from BF1 and BF V is good looking maps with a town/city theme that seems realistic but the gameplay is bad on them. Narvik is a bad map, Dutchie map is a bit better but still weak.
  • Hortey
    201 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I liked the idea of the stamina system, where it would make your accuracy decrease after sprinting. Gave a clear aim advantage to people who moved from cover to cover or used their squad to watch their back instead of rockstar'd their way through the map like ravic.

People don't like things that ruin their ability to sprint around and stand in the middle of a road and fire back at their attacker, even if it makes the game play better or increases the baseline tactical combat. Suppression is a great example, it's a pretty baseline tactic, but because people weren't able to stand in the way of fully auto fire from a squad and quikscope their enemies down with their l33t skills, it was rejected.
  • Borges1091
    58 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    Hortey wrote: »
    I liked the idea of the stamina system, where it would make your accuracy decrease after sprinting. Gave a clear aim advantage to people who moved from cover to cover or used their squad to watch their back instead of rockstar'd their way through the map like ravic.

People don't like things that ruin their ability to sprint around and stand in the middle of a road and fire back at their attacker, even if it makes the game play better or increases the baseline tactical combat. Suppression is a great example, it's a pretty baseline tactic, but because people weren't able to stand in the way of fully auto fire from a squad and quikscope their enemies down with their l33t skills, it was rejected.

"accuracy decrease after sprinting" that rounds like rng aids. Unless they made it where your sights swayed.
  • Maybe the agility stat will have different speeds.
  • trip1ex
    3530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    bf42 had no sprinting. just walking. if you held down shift you moved super slow.

BF2 had a stamina bar.

I wouldn't slow down sprinting when ttk/ttd feels this low.