Hamada Map is big and has a Runway

smoothsac
131 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited September 2018
Apparently it’s around 1500m end to end,and for the fly boys it’s got a runway,Back to old school for the planes.

Comments

• Noodlesocks
    2771 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    for one map
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    Rotterdam was small on the medium side.. it felt empty traveling from A to C to D because the vast majority of teams kept to A to B to D aswell as the bridge and let's not forget there were many many 4 story stairs around alot of the capture zones that added to the overall space of Rotterdam.

Hamada could be another future firestorm map.. but I also remember dice mentioning that firestorm will be the biggest map ever created by them.. so how big will hamada be or how much of hamada will be accessible?
  • Conker
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    We need B-17!
  • dmccar1001
    627 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    Which is weird right? People have stated that Rotterdam even though being a "tiny" map felt empty even with 64 players yet scream for massive maps; contradiction much?

I think the time to bleed out and then respawn contributed to the "empty map" but I agree it is a contradiction … people want bigger maps but complain about "empty"? The two are directly related.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    883 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I wonder if it’s cosmetic or really for landing?

That new map looks good.

Remember people got bored walking over the big maps?

Then we got the ability to sprint...constantly.

That was a massive change that removed a mechanic that required the player to think about their environment tactically.

Yes I’m still grumbling about that one...

Probably the only one..

• SirBobdk
    4016 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @crabman169 wrote
    Why can't we have mix of both large/medium/small maps? Battlefield has always done that
    Agree.
    Small maps with very few vehicles and no planes, medium maps with some vehicles/planes and large maps with a lot of vehicles/planes. Then there is something for everyone. I like such a mix.
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @crabman169 wrote
    Why can't we have mix of both large/medium/small maps? Battlefield has always done that
    Agree.
    Small maps with very few vehicles and no planes, medium maps with some vehicles/planes and large maps with a lot of vehicles/planes. Then there is something for everyone. I like such a mix.

That is what dice seems to be doing with the maps, watch the Deep Dive interveiw.
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @crabman169 wrote
    Agree.

It's a great start if true I like the idea... I've sat on hamada for afew and if it's as big as drunkzie from dice says they could up the total number players to fill the open space to a 64 vs 64 game. 32 vs 32 in a 1500 m map? They claim it's the biggest multiplayer map so think about that vs all the maps from the past.
  • Foot_Guard_Tomei
    438 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    But it's linear which renders it size to point of wasted space in both ends of map. Conquest does work better in circular map design where flags are spread out.
  • BaronVonGoon
    6735 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I felt Rotterdam was big. Surprised to hear that it's a small map in BFV. I had to check how many people were on the server often because the map felt empty. It seemed the half from the train bridge to river side was the busy side of the map, the river down the middle was virtually empty because it was easy to get taken out. Either way it's one of the most fun maps I ever played.
  • smokintom214
    I felt Rotterdam was big. Surprised to hear that it's a small map in BFV. I had to check how many people were on the server often because the map felt empty. It seemed the half from the train bridge to river side was the busy side of the map, the river down the middle was virtually empty because it was easy to get taken out. Either way it's one of the most fun maps I ever played.

You forgot about all the 4 story stairs all over the map too
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    I have always liked the large maps with lots of vehicles. I am really curious to see just how big the firestorm map will be. Supposedly it will be the biggest ever for a BF game. I hope we get to play conquest on firestorm lol.
  • GrizzGolf
    965 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I hope it still has a lot of action with gun fights and not tank wars
  • James-MII
    894 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Conker wrote: »
    We need B-17!

This!! So many good memories with that beast in 1942!
  • DeadlyDanDaMan
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm honestly worried that Hamada will be TOO big. There's an inherent balance that has to be maintained in these map designs. Make a map too small, and you end up with both teams fighting over one objective. However, the same can happen with a map that's too big, because people don't like running tremendous distances to back cap. They want action, not a running/driving simulator. So what do the two teams do? They cap all the gimmes on either side of the map and fight over the closest one or two objectives in the middle of the map for the rest of the game.
  • SirBobdk
    4016 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm honestly worried that Hamada will be TOO big. There's an inherent balance that has to be maintained in these map designs. Make a map too small, and you end up with both teams fighting over one objective. However, the same can happen with a map that's too big, because people don't like running tremendous distances to back cap. They want action, not a running/driving simulator. So what do the two teams do? They cap all the gimmes on either side of the map and fight over the closest one or two objectives in the middle of the map for the rest of the game.
    BF started with huge maps with vehicles but this changed with BF3. It was never a problem until BF got a newer playerbase of people who came from other games with less players and small maps.
    Most don’t know how to play “real” BF maps where you need transports. Tanks and a lot of light vehicles.
    Hamada is not even a huge map. Compared to what used to be huge maps this map is a medium size map.
  • VincentNZ
    2701 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Only the area that is actually played in counts. And that space needs to be filled with care. I would even go so far to claim that big maps like Karelia and Altai are bad by design since the only actually played area are the flags since transition between them takes too long.
    Talking about Firestorm is quite interesting, because it is rather large, but the actually played area mostyl focuses around the buildings and the according flags, with very nice and short transitions. It is similar with Caspian Border, vast spaces remain unused, but the space that is played is filled in a meaningful way. Top notch map design.

Now Karelia and Altai basically only consist of flags and wide areas in between them that have nothing of value. At some point DICE decided that instead of combined arms, a map should have a dedicated infantry area for the infantry folks and all around it vast nothingness for the vehicle folks. Anyone caught up between these playstyles got screwed over. I guess these maps are also much cheaper to make.

Concerning Rotterdam it felt empty at times for a medium map, but remember that it uses a horseshoe flag layout so most action will be around that line. Also without spotted enemies on the minimap, you will likely miss many players just running past/beside you.

As for Hamada, well if we can get over the marketing gibberish of "bigliest map ever", it still boils down to the question if it is enjoyable for the infantry player as well as the vehicle player and if the trademark BF feature of combined arms is working. The rest is meaningless.
  • Turban_Legend80
    4549 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    BF4’s Operation Locker had a helicopter pad.
    Hopefully this runway is more than just scenery.