Mortars.

madman001able
611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
How will mortars be used in the game? Will it be a deployable weapon/gadget, a reinforcement option, or a fixed weapons station that can only be built by the support class? Or are they not going to be in the game? Can we get some clarification on this please?

Comments

• smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I hope we don't have mortors...
  • BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I've had an idea for "mortars", Rocket-Launchers; being relegated to a special class (possibly archetypes) that would basically take/use all of the stuff that might otherwise be at risk of getting nerf'd or balanced by way of weird cooldown mechanics and odd ammo-resupply timers, and instead balance it with a kind of bargain.

"yes it's powerful/potentially quite useful, but you're slowed down by it, and you've only really got a pistol if worse comes to worse". Basically the Mortar or the Rocket-launcher or whatever would take up your main weapon slot; meaning you're only "really" armed with a sidearm, meaning you're only really going to have a "slight" chance of defending yourself...

Essentially what I'm saying is that "it's class(es) or archetype(s) that balance what might be considered an OP weapon by way of discouraging you play it".

for the mortar you'd get like 2-3 different kinds of shells. (maybe having to chose 2 of 3, maybe getting 3.. doesn't really matter), they'd include a smoke shell and an airburst shell.
    aiming would take more guesswork, maybe not even drawing a cross hair on a map so much as "fire at this angle/range-setting, (little flash on the map screen) oh I'm a little short".. That or it could involve binoculars/a teammate.
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Is that a bit of residual salt flakes from previous titles usage of this particular weapon system i detect? Honestly, only the guys that have them love them, nobody likes having them fired at you lol. It will be a pretty handy weapon for removing people in well fortified positions.
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I wouldn't be totally against the idea if players couldn't make an infinite wall of explosions on an objective like we saw numerous times in bf1...
  • madman001able
    edited September 2018
    BetaFief wrote: »
    I've had an idea for "mortars", Rocket-Launchers; being relegated to a special class (possibly archetypes) that would basically take/use all of the stuff that might otherwise be at risk of getting nerf'd or balanced by way of weird cooldown mechanics and odd ammo-resupply timers, and instead balance it with a kind of bargain.

"yes it's powerful/potentially quite useful, but you're slowed down by it, and you've only really got a pistol if worse comes to worse". Basically the Mortar or the Rocket-launcher or whatever would take up your main weapon slot; meaning you're only "really" armed with a sidearm, meaning you're only really going to have a "slight" chance of defending yourself...

Essentially what I'm saying is that "it's class(es) or archetype(s) that balance what might be considered an OP weapon by way of discouraging you play it".

for the mortar you'd get like 2-3 different kinds of shells. (maybe having to chose 2 of 3, maybe getting 3.. doesn't really matter), they'd include a smoke shell and an airburst shell.
    aiming would take more guesswork, maybe not even drawing a cross hair on a map so much as "fire at this angle/range-setting, (little flash on the map screen) oh I'm a little short".. That or it could involve binoculars/a teammate.

Give them smoke, HE, WP, and illumination (spotting flare) rounds. A more realistic approach to aiming would be nice, it was waaay to easy to use in the previous games.
    Post edited by madman001able on
  • madman001able
    I wouldn't be totally against the idea if players couldn't make an infinite wall of explosions on an objective like we saw numerous times in bf1...

That i agree with. lol.
  • madman001able
    edited September 2018
    Although now that i think about it, the half-track had several modifications throughout the war. It was capable of having anti-air, mortar, and even anti-tank weapons added onto it. I bet that is how they put them in!
  • rainkloud
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
  • Callahan44er
    5062 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Bf1 mortar was good. The only thing i dont like is getting ammo out of nowhere.
    Besides that theres no need to change anything imo. Limited range,damage was fine,you need people that spot targets,no stupid remote control like in bf4. Definetely the best balanced mortar in the bfs i played.
  • Woodlbrad
    562 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe they could work as support fortifications like the buildable turrets in some locations.
  • Hawxxeye
    5214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    With all this camping that was seen in the beta, some mortars to attack those camping on chokepoints would be nice
  • madman001able
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    With all this camping that was seen in the beta, some mortars to attack those camping on chokepoints would be nice

Don't forget that the medium machine guns will be stationary death traps for any infantry, especially because they can also shoot through some walls. Having access to mortars will be needed.