Are you interested in seeing a vehicle stats website in the vein of Symthic.com?

rainkloud
548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Vehicles are coming back in a big way in BFV and they are poised to be more complex than ever before. In game prompts only provide so much detail and often leave much to be desired. Posts here, on the official forums and Youtube can help fill some gaps but this results in fragmentation making it an inefficient means of educating players on the intricacies of vehicle combat. To remedy this I'd like to create a site where vehicle stats are centralized and lucid explanations of the often complex mechanics are easily accessible for all.

Something that needs to be said though about vehicle stats is that they are difficult and time consuming to compile. The information needed to complete an entry on a missile in BF4 for example is scattered among several files. This stands in stark contrast to small arms weapons info which is much more standardized and consolidated. To further exacerbate the problem, vehicle weapons often use material modifiers that dictate what a tank shell does to a APC vs a light tank vs a heavy tank vs a aircraft and so on. These material modifiers are not in the game files making determining certain weapon damage a time draining affair of manual testing and recording the many different combinations.

So I post here today to ask you the reader if you are interested in seeing such a repository of vehicle info to help better educate the community and facilitate more informed discussions on vehicle balance. If I can garner support I hope to use that leverage to ask the devs to provide the material modifiers to me which will vastly accelerate the process of providing accurate info.

I'm not asking for money or even help building or maintaining the site (although I am not opposed to help if you're interested in volunteering) but simply your opinion on whether you feel the community would benefit. If you feel strongly in the affirmative I kindly ask that you retweet #BFVvehiclestats to help galvanize support. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend all!

Comments

• BaronVonGoon
    6738 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, definitely.
  • bran1986
    5660 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah it would be awesome.
  • DingoKillr
    3516 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    So you are planning to do vehicle characters and vehicle weapons stats?

As I understand vehicle stats in past BF have not always been in a standard tree like infantry is part reason it has not been done before to much manual work.
  • rainkloud
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    DingoKillr wrote: »
    So you are planning to do vehicle characters and vehicle weapons stats?

As I understand vehicle stats in past BF have not always been in a standard tree like infantry is part reason it has not been done before to much manual work.

Yes it is indeed a lot of work but I'm willing to do it under the condition I get the material modifiers. Even with those it's still a labor intensive process but it is manageable. Without those you have to go into a server in test each weapon manually like I did in BF4 and that was definitely not an experience I wish to repeat as I would actually like to play the game myself lol.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I would love this, what would be truly great is if DICE actually build into the game "Armor Protection Analysis" like you have in War Thunder. This way you could view any tank, or aircraft, in the armory or your company, and basically see how much damage you will inflict, dependent upon where you hit, and the round type/ angle/ distance at which you hit it.

Here's an example of this:

https://ibb.co/drnbGp
  • SirTerrible
    1695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Given how limited your vehicle options will be on a given map relative to guns I don't really know if detailed vehicle stats would be super useful. I'm being a big party pooper here but that's how I see it. There's probably not a lot you can learn from stats that you can't just gather from "feels" after playing the game a bit.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sadly EA seems to have decided that allowing third-parties access to game data is something they don't want to do anymore. They don't want server admins using plug-ins to produce custom versions of their games, actually I don't think they want rented servers at all anymore, they want a console-like homogeneous game with no variety. They sure don't want outside cheat-detecting services, and they probably don't want outside weapons analysis either. Battlefield has become a one-size-fits-all game, and that's a damn shame because gaming clans and third-parties helped to make the BF series the success it has been.