high ping/low ping

Comments

• fisknyllet17
    1650 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    KingRofty wrote: »
    After patch 1.27, the game does not compensate if you have a higher ping than your opponent anymore, lowest ping will always win the gunfight. So it's not about skill anymore, but more about your internet connection. So a very low ping will actually make you think you're a good player.

yeah bro make yourself believe that. im totally unkillable in direct 1v1 now cause I have a sub 10 ping on German severs :smirk:
    Since my irony detector is set to "off", I took this as truth. It explains so much.
  • WetFishDB
    1888 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    After patch 1.27, the game does not compensate if you have a higher ping than your opponent anymore, lowest ping will always win the gunfight. So it's not about skill anymore, but more about your internet connection. So a very low ping will actually make you think you're a good player.

yeah bro make yourself believe that. im totally unkillable in direct 1v1 now cause I have a sub 10 ping on German severs :smirk:
    Since my irony detector is set to "off", I took this as truth. It explains so much.

It's the excuse I tell myself when he kills me over and over again.
  • thecajun
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It's all about your ping after this latest patch. Impossible to win gunfights against low ping players now. No skill required anymore, a ping of 14 or 20 is all the skill you need.

What are smoking? Every match I play my ping is 14-20 and usually hardly fluctuates but tons of bullet sponge rubber banding laggy connections with other players making my bullets rarely count . I can't count the number of times laggy players soak up bullets from behind then I die and their character turns around shooting after I die. Battlefield servers have always benefited laggers, that's why I've seen people purposely join foreign servers to lag their way to a win. Whenever I end up in a server where my ping is above 100 I always do better, but I try to play in my region so not to have lag advantage, I'll leave that up to the others to do if that's what they think they need to be good at a GAME. Just a few minutes ago I was watching the scoreboard ping and had another player running at 70-90s ping but right before he would get a recorded kill his ping would go anywhere from 300-900. So keep thinking that low ping is an advantage now, LMAO. If have low ping is an advantage now then maybe you should play on the closest to you or maybe people should stop leeching others wifi signals also. And even if it is true then tough deal with it, I've dealt with years of people lagging on purpose just to boost their stats.Why should I suffer for actually having good internet that I pay for?
  • WetFishDB
    1888 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    thecajun wrote: »
    It's all about your ping after this latest patch. Impossible to win gunfights against low ping players now. No skill required anymore, a ping of 14 or 20 is all the skill you need.

What are smoking? Every match I play my ping is 14-20 and usually hardly fluctuates but tons of bullet sponge rubber banding laggy connections with other players making my bullets rarely count . I can't count the number of times laggy players soak up bullets from behind then I die and their character turns around shooting after I die. Battlefield servers have always benefited laggers, that's why I've seen people purposely join foreign servers to lag their way to a win. Whenever I end up in a server where my ping is above 100 I always do better, but I try to play in my region so not to have lag advantage, I'll leave that up to the others to do if that's what they think they need to be good at a GAME. Just a few minutes ago I was watching the scoreboard ping and had another player running at 70-90s ping but right before he would get a recorded kill his ping would go anywhere from 300-900. So keep thinking that low ping is an advantage now, LMAO. If have low ping is an advantage now then maybe you should play on the closest to you or maybe people should stop leeching others wifi signals also. And even if it is true then tough deal with it, I've dealt with years of people lagging on purpose just to boost their stats.Why should I suffer for actually having good internet that I pay for?

High ping vs low ping is contextual. Some broad examples...

If you play a peeking style game play then a higher ping increases the peeker advantage (as it'll take longer for the person being peeked to see you peeking). But if someone is peeking you and you have a high ping, then you are giving the advantage to them. The advantage is to the peeker rather than the person with high ping per se.

Hit detection can be a bit off for high pingers who move around alot (latent position updates), but similarly when they get above the ping threshold they have to start leading their shots as there is no client side hit detection for them any more (only server side hit detection). That means they have to shoot where the server thinks you are, NOT where they see you. If you are moving about they have a much harder time hitting you as they have no idea how much to lead their shot or in which direction. And for everyone else shooting at them, we get to continue using client side hit detection meaning we can just shoot them where we see them, and then server side arbitration essentially runs a simulation to confirm if our hit was legit.

High enough ping and bullet damage can get bundled up. This might making camping corners with a high ping semi-effective as people take too much damage before realising you are actually there. But at the same time, that means a low pinger who knows you are there can come around the corner with a quick TTK weapon and potentially kill the high pinger before the server has even updated the high pingers client to tell them the low pinger has come around the corner. Essentially the high pinger is dead before they even see the enemy coming.

And then the basic scenario of if both players actually see each other at exactly the same real time, both have OHK weapons and fire at the same time in real time (not what they see on their respective screens), the one with the quicker connection will send that information to the server first, and therefore be credited with the hit and kill.
  • Ronin9572
    714 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Here are a few examples of the opposite happening to me recently. Playing Shock Ops on Zeebrugge defending the last sector. They were down to less than 50 tickets, than someone entered the game with a 350-380 ping and single handedly to both A&B. He was sliding all over the map in a kneeling position couldn't be damaged but from my perspective I was killed in 1 shot. I know several ppl on my squad saw this because they were pissed and even 1 recorded it. The other was Air Assault Raiders. There was a fighter pilot with 300+ ping who was almost impossible to hit and when he attacked you, you'd go from full health to dead in less than 2 secs no matter if you maneuvered or not. This guy went 33-1! Now I'm no ace, and I know there are ALOT of great pilots out there, but this wasn't right. Do I think these players knew what was happening, possibly.
  • WetFishDB
    edited October 2018
    Ronin9572 wrote: »
    Here are a few examples of the opposite happening to me recently. Playing Shock Ops on Zeebrugge defending the last sector. They were down to less than 50 tickets, than someone entered the game with a 350-380 ping and single handedly to both A&B. He was sliding all over the map in a kneeling position couldn't be damaged but from my perspective I was killed in 1 shot. I know several ppl on my squad saw this because they were pissed and even 1 recorded it. The other was Air Assault Raiders. There was a fighter pilot with 300+ ping who was almost impossible to hit and when he attacked you, you'd go from full health to dead in less than 2 secs no matter if you maneuvered or not. This guy went 33-1! Now I'm no ace, and I know there are ALOT of great pilots out there, but this wasn't right. Do I think these players knew what was happening, possibly.

If they recorded it, do you fancy sharing it? Otherwise it's just conjecture. Sometimes I can dominate a game with low ping, but that doesn't mean anything untoward is happening.
  • preston42382
    2 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's trifling with the idea of low ping. Even if the server is closer to me, it doesn't guarantee a faster transit of the event. The event occurs at the console level, not in the server. If two players shoot each other at exact same time (not server time), then they should kill each other. One of the problems it probably is, is the shutting off of the action. It's a Call of Duty problem too. Throw a grenade, shoot a missile, and if I get killed before it explodes, or before it gets a few meters away from me in its trajectory and hasn't exploded yet, then it goes dud. Something similar is probably at work with the gun fights. It's a chaotic game, stop letting it make you think you should always kill and never die to respawn. Perhaps you'll learn some strategy to last longer than 30 seconds.
  • Ronin9572
    WetFishDB wrote: »

If they recorded it, do you fancy sharing it? Otherwise it's just conjecture. Sometimes I can dominate a game with low ping, but that doesn't mean anything untoward is happening.

@WetFishDB I'll contact them, but they weren't a friend of mine and maybe they just said they recorded it. I mean they could have spent some time in the airship and racked up the kills before jumping in the fighter.
  • WetFishDB

@WetFishDB I'll contact them, but they weren't a friend of mine and maybe they just said they recorded it. I mean they could have spent some time in the airship and racked up the kills before jumping in the fighter.

I figured the recording one was of the high pinger capturing A & B on Shock Ops the way you wrote it. If it is, then it's probably worth sharing other wise it just becomes a tit-for-tat of anecdotes, which doesn't really serve any purpose.
  • IIRogueMachineII
    1306 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Probably going to get bashed for this but i find this game impossible to judge the TTK consistently. Too many spongers, some drop instantly some require 3 x the bullets!!! Its probably just the spread and my sheer inability at times but the issues i experience with is players with high pings or 3 bar connections and pings in the 80's. Ive got no video evidence its just a feeling i have, i can tell 9/10 whether a player im shooting at has a high ping and im usually right.

Like i said probably more my lack of skill and ability, afterall everyone on here is god tier level so probably time i get my coat!!!
  • WetFishDB
    Probably going to get bashed for this but i find this game impossible to judge the TTK consistently. Too many spongers, some drop instantly some require 3 x the bullets!!! Its probably just the spread and my sheer inability at times but the issues i experience with is players with high pings or 3 bar connections and pings in the 80's. Ive got no video evidence its just a feeling i have, i can tell 9/10 whether a player im shooting at has a high ping and im usually right.

Like i said probably more my lack of skill and ability, afterall everyone on here is god tier level so probably time i get my coat!!!

Lol. Very few god tier players on here, although a few can get pretty damn close at times.

High pingers do tend to cause more sponging. The point I’m trying to make is that it’s not always the advantage to have a high ping, and it’s not always the advantage to have a low ping. It all depends on the circumstances.

That said, from a collective perspective, the more players with good steady low pings the better for everyone really.
  • IIRogueMachineII
    1306 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    That maybe true but the overwhelming opinion i've gained is that the better the player the less "issues" that player respectively has with high ping players. This is just my view. Whilst for someone as shockingly average as me its problematic.

For me its no advantage to have a low ping and maybe a tiny advantage to have a high ping, maybe not over 200 but 100 plus.
  • WetFishDB
    That maybe true but the overwhelming opinion i've gained is that the better the player the less "issues" that player respectively has with high ping players. This is just my view. Whilst for someone as shockingly average as me its problematic.

For me its no advantage to have a low ping and maybe a tiny advantage to have a high ping, maybe not over 200 but 100 plus.

Quite possibly true that experienced players are more likely to out think and position enemies rather than simply out aim or gun them etc. And that may mean they experience problems much less.

My ping is always low 20’s (EU Conquest on EU servers) and maybe have one death in approx 10 games that feels a little too latent or a player who I felt sponged particularly noticeably etc.
  • IIRogueMachineII
    edited October 2018
    To me its the only answer. I wish it was that low for me, its usually 1 or 2 a game. For me its not just the sponginess it the erratic movement. But as i said previously with spread, surpression plus dodgy pings from other players its hard to narrow down exactly. It just gets annoying how i seem to regularly encounter these issues.
  • WetFishDB
    To me its the only answer. I wish it was that low for me, its usually 1 or 2 a game. But as i said previously with spread, surpression plus dodgy pings from other players its hard to narrow down exactly. It just gets annoying how i seem to regularly encounter these issues.

Biggest change I made was to not worry about everyone else connection, but to sort out mine. I still had a good ping, but went wired to reduce packet loss. Put the PS4 in the DMZ on the router etc. Made a big difference to dodgy moments (in part proving that it’s not just everyone else’s connection at fault).
  • IIRogueMachineII
    I’m fairly sure my connection is “decent/good” it’s wired now but even wireless it rarely spiked. Always low 20’s when wireless and now 27 wired. Maybe it’s not “perfect” but I’ve never noticed major problems or indeed any problems, even ran with the connection graph on for a while which showed no problems. I can’t have any problems internet wise as I’d bullet sponge but I’m always insta dead!!! 😂😂 And I’m not talking high pingers, just non shot missing low ping players!!
  • WetFishDB
    I’m fairly sure my connection is “decent/good” it’s wired now but even wireless it rarely spiked. Always low 20’s when wireless and now 27 wired. Maybe it’s not “perfect” but I’ve never noticed major problems or indeed any problems, even ran with the connection graph on for a while which showed no problems. I can’t have any problems internet wise as I’d bullet sponge but I’m always insta dead!!! 😂😂 And I’m not talking high pingers, just non shot missing low ping players!!

Problem is you don't know when you bullet sponge (as they could just be missing). Same as you don't know when you are shooting people around corners (as on your screen they are out of cover). Remember your perspective is not the same as other players, it never is.

But generally I'd still recommend getting your internet as good as you can make it, regardless.
  • IIRogueMachineII
    Well other then change provider and move I’ve done all I can, regardless of how good it could it would still happen because as I said non god tier players with sub par aiming like me will struggle. I could have 100mb up and down and still suffer to dodgy pinged players.

But as I’ve said if someone is shooting at or near me chances are I’m dead unless they happen to be as or even worse then me. The rarity of that happening leads me to believe I don’t have an issue with my connection.

What with suppression, spread and explosive shake plus god knows what else does the netcode need to this questionable, it’s seems like pings play way too bigger part.
  • Ronin9572

Problem is you don't know when you bullet sponge (as they could just be missing). Same as you don't know when you are shooting people around corners (as on your screen they are out of cover). Remember your perspective is not the same as other players, it never is.

But generally I'd still recommend getting your internet as good as you can make it, regardless.

I'm jealous of those ppl that have a choice. Spectrum has the monopoly here, no other companies and the only way you can increase you internet speed is to do their absolutely ridiculous over priced phone/internet/cable pkg. We did away with land line phones and cable years ago.
  • WetFishDB

I'm jealous of those ppl that have a choice. Spectrum has the monopoly here, no other companies and the only way you can increase you internet speed is to do their absolutely ridiculous over priced phone/internet/cable pkg. We did away with land line phones and cable years ago.

Only limited choices here. But I could get my PS4 wired to the router, and get a better router and put the PS4 in the DMZ. Beyond that I'm stuck with whatever connection my ISP can muster.