No rear surround sound in 7.1?

davemcpoland
5 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
I've got my ps4 running into a 7.1 system via hdmi. Settings on the ps4 are hdmi/linear pcm. I'm getting nothing from the rear speakers. If I set the ps4 output to 5.1 dolby I get rear sound, but I don't want to do that. Does 7.1 not work on this game?

Comments

• SmokeD_BabooN
    447 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    7.1 5.1 are not true sounds. They virtually emulate sound from software n game encoding. If you wanna get a close response to your needs buy a pair of Astros or Sony Platinum. I have the second set, but I am not impressed. They tend to flood ears with sounds coming from all sides.

Also if your gear supports okay 5.1 go with that. To me seems an absolute not needed effort for a lame sound.
    Stereo and maximum 2.1 IS where true sounds is. Because our ears. Aside that we can brag about our systems all day every day. I wonder if you use your ps4 as cinemax.

• davemcpoland
    I'm not sure what you mean, 7.1 (and 5.1) have their own 'true' audio channels and sounds? Most games (apart from some lower budget indies) output true 7.1 or 5.1 using hdmi and linear pcm. Every other game I own works perfectly and if it only has 5.1, will fill in the extra 2 rears automatically. There's obviously a bug with battlefield where it is outputting 7.1, but there's no info at all in the rears (and also feels like the center channel is missing too).

I own astro A50s which are great, but I like to play through speakers sometimes too for true surround sound.

7.1 5.1 are not true sounds. They virtually emulate sound from software n game encoding. If you wanna get a close response to your needs buy a pair of Astros or Sony Platinum. I have the second set, but I am not impressed. They tend to flood ears with sounds coming from all sides.

Also if your gear supports okay 5.1 go with that. To me seems an absolute not needed effort for a lame sound.
    Stereo and maximum 2.1 IS where true sounds is. Because our ears. Aside that we can brag about our systems all day every day. I wonder if you use your ps4 as cinemax.

• davemcpoland
    Ok, just spoke to EA support and apparently it's a bug. No idea on what the outcome's going to be.
  • SmokeD_BabooN
    447 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm not sure what you mean, 7.1 (and 5.1) have their own 'true' audio channels and sounds? Most games (apart from some lower budget indies) output true 7.1 or 5.1 using hdmi and linear pcm. Every other game I own works perfectly and if it only has 5.1, will fill in the extra 2 rears automatically. There's obviously a bug with battlefield where it is outputting 7.1, but there's no info at all in the rears (and also feels like the center channel is missing too).

I own astro A50s which are great, but I like to play through speakers sometimes too for true surround sound.

Surround sound is not true, to our ears. Our ears are made for stereo positioning point and simple. Of course if you go to cinema, after 2 hours of "true"dolby surround sound you gonna have some headaches. So surround sound is made more to impress audience than to pinpoint natural sound. I have a hi fi system for that,( yamaha) but after one movie, it is enough. You can make an easy to go experiment with your system, probably you have a receiver for that. Whenever you switch to 5.1 or 7.1, the sound from main floorspeakers is diverted to surround ones, center(voice) and back left/right whatever.(I am talking about fully compatible devices with all dolby features enabled, ARC hdmi, bla bla) The result is splitting the natural sound into a directional one, the surround ones will have more louder tones but innacurate. The main will be less louder, and the surround ones will be alive. So it is a gimmick. If I wanna have the best rich and natural sound I will go only stereo, or 2+1(+subwoofer).
  • davemcpoland
    I guess then that's down to personal preference. I enjoy surround sound when it's well done. Horizon zero dawn for example sounds amazing, much better than (IMO) with headphones or stereo.

Anyway, whatever the preference, this is a bug at EA's end which hopefully they will sort out.
    Surround sound is not true, to our ears. Our ears are made for stereo positioning point and simple. Of course if you go to cinema, after 2 hours of "true"dolby surround sound you gonna have some headaches. So surround sound is made more to impress audience than to pinpoint natural sound. I have a hi fi system for that,( yamaha) but after one movie, it is enough. You can make an easy to go experiment with your system, probably you have a receiver for that. Whenever you switch to 5.1 or 7.1, the sound from main floorspeakers is diverted to surround ones, center(voice) and back left/right whatever.(I am talking about fully compatible devices with all dolby features enabled, ARC hdmi, bla bla) The result is splitting the natural sound into a directional one, the surround ones will have more louder tones but innacurate. The main will be less louder, and the surround ones will be alive. So it is a gimmick. If I wanna have the best rich and natural sound I will go only stereo, or 2+1(+subwoofer).

• WetFishDB
    1962 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

It all depends what the purpose of the 7.1 system is. I use Astro A50's as its much easier to determine the direction of sounds. Due to the way our ears determine direction, a well designed 7.1 system is going to be far superior to a stereo one in terms of determining the sound direction - either via headphones or speakers. There will be slight time difference and volume between the ears (to determine left or right positioning), there will be tone differences in the outer ear for above or below etc, the wavelengths help too. A 7.1 system is much more capable of reflecting all those idiosyncrasies to generate a more realistic 3-dimensional sound. A stereo one can only really reflect left or right positioning.
  • SmokeD_BabooN
    WetFishDB wrote: »

It all depends what the purpose of the 7.1 system is. I use Astro A50's as its much easier to determine the direction of sounds. Due to the way our ears determine direction, a well designed 7.1 system is going to be far superior to a stereo one in terms of determining the sound direction - either via headphones or speakers. There will be slight time difference and volume between the ears (to determine left or right positioning), there will be tone differences in the outer ear for above or below etc, the wavelengths help too. A 7.1 system is much more capable of reflecting all those idiosyncrasies to generate a more realistic 3-dimensional sound. A stereo one can only really reflect left or right positioning.

So in reality, your ears can reflect only left/right positioning right?
  • WetFishDB
    1962 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

No, I think you are entirely missing the point.

We aren't talking about what ears can detect. Ears can detect sounds coming from every direction, left, right, in front, behind, above, below etc - and they way they do so is complex. For example, if the direction of the sound waves is not from the sides, but rather from above, below or immediately in front of the face, there is no time lag between the ears. In situations such as this, the outer ear is important as it helps determine the tone of the sound.

What we are talking about is the effectiveness of speakers simulating the direction of sound. There is just no way that two speakers can reliably simulate sounds coming from in front/behind, or above/below. They can't do this because they only have two real sources of the sound - a left and right speaker. A 7.1 system is much better able to simulate the direction of sound than a stereo system by virtue of actually having more real sources of the sound. For example, it can simulate sounds coming from in front/behind by actually playing sounds from a speaker in front/behind the ear. The ear is able to detect this, and thus determine the location of the sound.
  • SmokeD_BabooN

We aren't talking about what ears can detect. Ears can detect sounds coming from every direction, left, right, in front, behind, above, below etc - and they way they do so is complex. For example, if the direction of the sound waves is not from the sides, but rather from above, below or immediately in front of the face, there is no time lag between the ears. In situations such as this, the outer ear is important as it helps determine the tone of the sound.

What we are talking about is the effectiveness of speakers simulating the direction of sound. There is just no way that two speakers can reliably simulate sounds coming from in front/behind, or above/below. They can't do this because they only have two real sources of the sound - a left and right speaker. A 7.1 system is much better able to simulate the direction of sound than a stereo system by virtue of actually having more real sources of the sound. For example, it can simulate sounds coming from in front/behind by actually playing sounds from a speaker in front/behind the ear. The ear is able to detect this, and thus determine the location of the sound.

The stereo vs surround positioning has been debated a lot. The fact is we have 2 ears not 7.1, the sound is primarly sourced as stereo. Stereo means a staged sound.

My ears are made for stereo point and simple. I hear better, louder and I have more depth with stereo headphones(of course quality ones) than any Creative 7.1 or Astros or Platinum's by Sony. That's a fact.
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/891107-do-pro-fps-players-use-stereo-or-surround-sound/

For more google is your friend. For movies surround sound is better. They sound way impressive but for gaming, no.
    Encoding multiple sources and emulating them is always a software failure.
  • WetFishDB
    edited October 2018

The stereo vs surround positioning has been debated a lot. The fact is we have 2 ears not 7.1, the sound is primarly sourced as stereo. Stereo means a staged sound.

My ears are made for stereo point and simple. I hear better, louder and I have more depth with stereo headphones(of course quality ones) than any Creative 7.1 or Astros or Platinum's by Sony. That's a fact.
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/891107-do-pro-fps-players-use-stereo-or-surround-sound/

For more google is your friend. For movies surround sound is better. They sound way impressive but for gaming, no.
    Encoding multiple sources and emulating them is always a software failure.

If you ears can't tell if a sound is coming from in front or behind you, then you need to see a Doc bud. If you can tell the difference, then you'll realise that your ears are more than just a left input and a right input. Google is your friend, there's plenty of articles explaining how ears work and help determine the direction of sound.

Whether or not a particular game is designed and/or optimised for surround sound is an entirely different topic. As is a good stereo headset vs cheap surround headset. But a well engineered game with 3D sound modelling, coupled with a well engineered surround sound headphones will absolutely be superior to a stereo headset for the purposes of locating sound.
    Post edited by WetFishDB on
  • davemcpoland
    The point is, the rear speaker channels are broken when using a 7.1 system, whether you prefer stereo headphones or not. I'd recommend anyone who has a 7.1 system to report it as a bug too so we have a better chance of getting it fixed.
  • WetFishDB
    The point is, the rear speaker channels are broken when using a 7.1 system, whether you prefer stereo headphones or not. I'd recommend anyone who has a 7.1 system to report it as a bug too so we have a better chance of getting it fixed.

Is it broken on all sound profile settings (e.g. logitech-g, surround, war tapes etc)?
  • davemcpoland
    Is it broken on all sound profile settings (e.g. logitech-g, surround, war tapes etc)?

Unfortunately, yeah, the profiles make no difference to the missing rear and center channels. Pretty disappointing and I'm surprised it's not been brought up as more of an issue as anyone with 7.1 would notice immediately that it sounds absolutely terrible.

• dICEHOUSE
    532 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The surround sound aspect of BF1, unfortunately, is just not that good ( in comparison to some other games, ie. FarCry). I one time hooked it up for the hell of it to a 5.1 Yamaha using optical inputs and the sounds just sounded 'off point'. I realized just using high quality Stereo or better Headphones on the correct BF1 audio settings made the environment of play seem more 'real'. I can pinpoint most of the time where the sounds are coming from and no 'dropped sounds'.

With that being said. Utilize the best sound configuration to give you the best game experience and the better advantage to win at the game....since it is a game we are playing and not Blu-Ray Movie that is meant to channel the sounds properly.

• Jimibob007
    24 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    dICEHOUSE wrote: »
    The surround sound aspect of BF1, unfortunately, is just not that good ( in comparison to some other games, ie. FarCry). I one time hooked it up for the hell of it to a 5.1 Yamaha using optical inputs and the sounds just sounded 'off point'. I realized just using high quality Stereo or better Headphones on the correct BF1 audio settings made the environment of play seem more 'real'. I can pinpoint most of the time where the sounds are coming from and no 'dropped sounds'.

With that being said. Utilize the best sound configuration to give you the best game experience and the better advantage to win at the game....since it is a game we are playing and not Blu-Ray Movie that is meant to channel the sounds properly.

I totally disagree.

I own a Denon AVR with a full 7.2.4 set up and BF 1 sounded amazing with Dolby Atmos.

BF 5 sound is terrible and doesn't support Dolby Atmos. I hope it will be supported soon, I'm hoping it's just a symptom of a rushed release.