We have pushed a fix to address the issue with Rank 20 rewards. If you are missing your rewards for Class Rank 20, please play a match to completion and the Rewards should drop into your Armory.

Thanks for sticking with us.

Is BFV chasing PUBG and Fortnite

V2Face
2596 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I have had this thought for awhile now and couldn’t put my finger on the changes to BF and it’s relation to the competition in the FPS market until now. I am aware that popularity typically steers the trends in video games and that’s seen in a lot of titles. The addition of Battle royale and attrition system shows that battlefield would rather chase the market instead of sticking with what made it popular in the first place, combined arms warfare on large maps.

My question for you guys is does this game want to be a tactical or arcade shooter? I honestly think that the game is having an identity crisis that might hurt it at launch.

Comments

• llPhantom_Limbll
    4079 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, the game is definitely having an identity crisis. That's obvious to any reasonable person. It also should be obvious that you can't sit on many chairs the same time, trying to please old fans, new fans and potential newcomers. Unfortunately it's too late to change things.
  • staRS-SirBob
    2327 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    Battlefield is now a Tactical-arcade-authentic-inauthentic-combined arms-infantry focused-battle royale-full price-live service first person shooter.

I am curious about how it will go
    ROFL
  • Mystriall
    494 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The addition of battleroyal is a clear trend thing to attempt to gain a footing in that market. And it looks like every game developer is jumping on that wagon. That being said, I'm not sure it will be a negative thing, might be fun, i do play PUBG every now and then. Like the game style, but ye, it's not battlefield.
    -
    With the battleroyal mode the core BF game has gotten some stuff, I've noted these before:
    Squad revive system can be seen in direct link to the BR-mode.
    Picking up ammo off killed enemies, linked to BR.
    The "glitch" which i like to call it, where if you're entire team is downed, you all "insta-die" even though some other medic in your team could have revived you. linked to BR.
    probably others i've forgotten.
    -
    Stuff i like and that i think is good, is in fact the attrition. no longer having 100% auto-recovery. didn't really like the addition of an extra med-pack to everyone, another BR-linked function. But then again I've gotten over it. I like that you don't have ammo to last you for a whole round and that you can't just run and hide for 1 minute and get 100% hp again. I like the new gun-mechanics. I also like the fortification system. And although some say it's attempting to be like fortnite, which it isn't in my opinion, i think it has a great role in the game.
    -
    Battlefield became an arcade game with battlefield 1. So it's not like BFV is the game where it all turns into an arcade game. If anything, i feel like the franchise with BFV is distancing itself, or at least trying to distance itself from the arcade gamestyle of BF1.

• Foot_Guard_Tomei
    400 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield is trying to be somewhere in between Tactical/Mil-sim — Casual/Arcade/Streamlined like it used to be in the past.
  • spychodelics
    120 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Somehow everyone around me is playing some kind of battleroyal, the interesting thing is, that most of them dont look forward to play another battleroyal game. They want a new BF like they are used to play. They even wont play the COD beta, because it featured COD BR.

With this in mind i would give the developers the suggestion to not overrate the BF Firestorm.
  • Noromiz
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I wonder if Firestorm and regular will share the same XP and Weapon progression, so if you use a weapon in Firestorm you will still gain XP for it like in regular multiplayer (if that makes sense).

Not that I will really play Firestorm, as I am really bad at shooters.
  • Turban_Legend80
    4241 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    Battlefield is now a Tactical-arcade-authentic-inauthentic-combined arms-infantry focused-battle royale-full price-live service first person shooter.
    In a nutshell
  • VBALL_MVP
    6153 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield has never been a MILSIM, it's always been an arcade team based game, it was just on the more serious side of that equation than COD which was more like the old school arena shooters like Quake. Frankly I find MILSIMs boring, if I want to walk forever to an objective while thinking this sucks I'll go back into the Army. Battlefield's always given me that nice fun combined arms feel with a healthy doze of authenticity without the drudgery of games like Arma.

Agreed.

Also for a business to stay successful and competitive one must look at trends and either follow the trends or be innovating. You can be the same thing over and over or else you will fail.

The nice thing is they are keeping the two games separate....you want classic battlefield you still have it. You want royale, you can now play it with a BF twist.
  • DeadlyDanDaMan
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    EVERY game is chasing Fortnite right now. Why? Because Fortnite is making WAAAAY more money than anyone else. Kind of a silly comment to even make because it's what happens ALL THE TIME. Game developers will always be chasing the games that are the most successful. Same thing happened with Super Mario Bros. back in the 80's. No different today.
  • Hawxxeye
    2610 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »
    OP if you're asking whether Battlefield is now a highly-processed product then yes it is. The brand is Battlefield but some people are saying that the game itself is far from what they have come to expect.

As far as influence from other games such as Fortnite is concerned Battlefield does now come in a variety of flavours to suit all tastes.

What EA Dice doesn't seem to understand is that the flavour has to be relevant to the product because nobody wants a chocolate flavoured sausage.
    Bwahahahahahaah!!!
    Quite right you are!
  • xXCA_RageXx
    887 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why are people suprised that they are getting into the br mode? I always thought the gun and gameplay would fit pretty well for a br mode anyway. It's a massively popular market that is probably not that hard for them to jump into, in comparison to the potential cash flow it could produce.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    435 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 6
    EVERY game is chasing Fortnite right now. Why? Because Fortnite is making WAAAAY more money than anyone else. Kind of a silly comment to even make because it's what happens ALL THE TIME. Game developers will always be chasing the games that are the most successful. Same thing happened with Super Mario Bros. back in the 80's. No different today.

If a dev wants to chase Fortnite they should make a new IP. It just does not work with existing IP owned by someone else (Star Wars) or an actual historical event (WW2).

They could have made BC3 and done the whole “selling skins funds future development” thing.

But, they didn’t. They screwed up. And im getting closer each day to cancelling my pre-order. I was also going to buy it for my buddy with whom I’ve been playing BF games since 2002. He doesn’t really want it and I can’t believe it would be possible for me not to get BF but... its getting there. What a shame, I wonder if that WW3 game is really going to happen. Sigh, night is fallen on BF, yet another victim of EA and DICE.

Edited for swearing. - EA_Cian

Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • VBALL_MVP
    6153 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 6

If a dev wants to chase Fortnite they should make a new IP. It just does not work with existing IP owned by someone else (Star Wars) or an actual historical event (WW2).

They could have made BC3 and done the whole “selling skins funds future development” thing.

But, they didn’t. They screwed up. And im getting closer each day to cancelling my pre-order. I was also going to buy it for my buddy with whom I’ve been playing BF games since 2002. He doesn’t really want it and I can’t believe it would be possible for me not to get BF but... its getting there. What a shame, I wonder if that WW3 game is really going to happen. Sigh, night is fallen on BF, yet another victim of EA and DICE.

Edited for swearing. - EA_Cian

They pretty much did. It is a whole different game, totally separate.....

WW3 is not going to be any better....first it was Destiny that was going to kill BF, then TitanFall, then the Division....in the end everyone comes back.
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • xx_Dante2k_xx
    423 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Is there going to be a beta for the battle royal mode ?
  • VBALL_MVP
    Is there going to be a beta for the battle royal mode ?

probably not
  • Hay-its-dudeman
    364 postsMember Member
    If it is having an identity crisis, I don't consider that a bad thing. I do not want another battlefield game where all we can do is the same exact thing we did in the last 2 battlefields.

Just because one game is good doesn't mean it will have the same appeal two games later. BF3, BF4, and BF1 are very similar, imo.

If they don't attempt to make it new with BR and attrition, I wouldn't buy it. More BF conquest with tanks, aircrafts, and infantry? That's getting stale. We do the same thing in every game.

How are you guys not bored yet?