BO4 Blackout; I don't get it

Gforce81
3521 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I've been keeping an eye on BO4 since I've heard from many people that they have been "shaking things up" and its an improved game experience. People just FAWNING over Blackout, the new BR mode.

Am I missing something here?? Maybe the BR genre just isn't for me. Could there be any way to play a FPS game that is MORE boring? You just mill around, scramble for weapons, kill a dude or MAYBE two that happened to land near you. And then...what? Hide for +20 minutes waiting to ambush the other players? And when you die, you're done, just out of the match?

I don't see how this is fun at all. I'd rather watch paint dry.

The MP seems like pretty much the same standard stuff, run-n-gun (no one is surprised) with Black Ops 1 maps and lots of returning weapons. I'm not sure how I feel about the "Operators", seems kind of janky.

Is there some part to the hype that I'm missing here?

Comments

• BaronVonGoon
    5301 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Not a fan of any single-life modes. You spend an hour hiding and then you get killed by a camper. Once in 10 times you get crowned the ultimate camper. Boring.

• HonestSoul333
    1323 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 12
    Yeah gotta agree. It looks so clunky and thrown together but people are going crazy over it. You can tell they made a last minute decision to put it in the game.

As i see it Activision is just the first big name company to jump in on the BR bandwagon. With EA and many others soon to follow. They are all trying way to hard, and you can tell. So im gonna pass.
  • ProAssassin2003
    2394 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's being held as the best COD ever. I have just gave up wanting to know how this franchise keeps getting hype.

Gameinformer gave it a 9.5. It has Less but it's a 9.5. I've lost all hope.
  • Caustic
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I agree whole heartedly, and coming from a scientific background (I try and filter out bias as much as possible) the rot is pretty clearly visible in BO4. Let's go over it shall we? Black Ops 4 has:

- Previous generation graphics, including lots of recycled guns and terrain models
    - No environmental destruction
    - Guns which sound and behave like they are meant for an airsoft match. How do any of these compare with the meaty sounds that the Martini-Henry and Obrez have?
    - Multiplayer featuring boring three-lane maps that is copy-pasted from previous games
    - A costing system that is abhorrent and greedy compared to Battlefield 5
    - An equal if not greater amount of scantly clad female characters and wacky customization options that would never be acceptable in any modern army
    - No single player to give the game depth, even when offline

And on top of all these points, you have the standard flaws of Battle Royale:
    - Long periods that consist of simply walking and looting
    - One life, so if you die (especially in a questionable manner) its back to the loading screen and 5+ minutes before you are back in the game
    - Encourages a campy playstyle that rewards cowardly players over the action seekers

Even if you add all this together, the fact that we haven't seen the Battlefield BR mode yet is MORE then enough reason to hold off on purchasing Black Ops 4 to at least get an idea of which one is better.

TLDR; Welcome to the Potty.
  • TEKNOCODE
    9442 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Black ops 4. Mmm. Delicious.

First cod since 2009.
  • Pillownaut
    114 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm having a good time with it. My first COD since 2012.
  • Tactical_wizzzeR
    255 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 15
    level 3 armor is killing the fun out of it, otherwise it's an above average experience for me. I still think we haven't seen the best BR ever made yet, there is room for so much more potential and the fact that this barely above average experience is the best there is show just how low the bar is set for now in Battle Royale.
  • Parasiten79
    653 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I like it to, at least something to play until V drops
  • HonestSoul333
    1323 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    level 3 armor is killing the fun out of it, otherwise it's an above average experience for me. I still think we haven't seen the best BR ever made yet, there is room for so much more potential and the fact that this barely above average experience is the best there is show just how low the bar is set for now in Battle Royale.

Have to agree here. Ill probably jump back into the genre when something really well done comes out.
  • zenn_nme
    318 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 15
    BR isn't my thing... But hey, some people like to hide in a bush or visit every building on the map, die and do it all over again. Regular MP I'm tempted 'cause its nice to play a few quick matches with some friends, but I dislike the whole R6S pick-a-operator-but-cant-pick-it-when-its-already-picked-system.
  • RaNdOmKils666
    598 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    CoD's been trash since advanced warfare (or maybe Ghosts?). No idea why people buy CoD year, after year, after year... It's just all reskins of the same game each year. The game is a husk of it's former self, at this point i'd get more enjoyment out of playing some old games from the 2000s.

As for CoD BR or just BR games in general, I'll be very happy when the BR trend dies off. it's ruining the gaming industry in so many ways.
  • TEKNOCODE
    9442 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    CoD's been trash since advanced warfare (or maybe Ghosts?). No idea why people buy CoD year, after year, after year... It's just all reskins of the same game each year. The game is a husk of it's former self, at this point i'd get more enjoyment out of playing some old games from the 2000s.

As for CoD BR or just BR games in general, I'll be very happy when the BR trend dies off. it's ruining the gaming industry in so many ways.

Cod has been garbage after mw2 up until bo4. Bo4 is great.