Weekly BF

Shot Direction ...

Renamed1810241421
116 postsMember Member
edited October 2018
I NEVER understood the shot direction thingy in Battlefield 1, I don't know if it was backwards, or what it was, but I never made sense of it even after rank 150 in the game. Sometimes it seems like it lights up in the upper left when you are being shot from the front and left, sometimes it seems to light up in the upper left if you are being shot from behind on the right, I simply do not understand how the freaking thing works.
Will it be in BF V ?
And can someone please explain in simple terms how it works, I was never even able to find out how it works with google.

Comments

• CSO7777
    1280 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I have the same problem. Its the same in BF4.

I always look for the shooter in the wrong direction when bring shot at.

Perhaps its lag/time. The direction is from the moment you are getting shot at and if you moved afterwards that is not the right direction anymore...
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It is in battlefield 5 still. It is much more accurate now and is seen as a white flash. This is how suppression is related to the player this time around. The more bullets i had whizzing past me during the beta the more the white border around the screen encroached upon my ability to see.
  • Renamed1810241421
    116 postsMember Member
    edited October 2018
    It is in battlefield 5 still. It is much more accurate now and is seen as a white flash. This is how suppression is related to the player this time around. The more bullets i had whizzing past me during the beta the more the white border around the screen encroached upon my ability to see.

I don't remember it from the Beta, but I'm glad it is going to be more accurate. I didn't play the Beta that long and I was too busy focusing on objectives to remember, I really should have taken more time to explore the features of the game.
    Also, from that last Dev talk it seems like the sound will be more accurate and expressive, so maybe that will help with situational awareness. I thought BF1 did a pretty good job with that - I couldn't tell what direction bullets were coming from (and I am not sure you would be able to tell from the sound which way they were coming from in real life) but I could definitely tell when someone was trying to run up behind me to knife me, which was the most important thing.
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    Hit direction was in the beta. Sometimes it was reversed though. I'd get hit from the front but the hit marker would show behind me. Here's a clip for example:

I turned around and shot behind me because I thought I was being shot from that direction. Turns out it was just bugged.

Hit direction is supposed to show in the direction that you're being fired on from.
  • Renamed1810241421
    116 postsMember Member
    edited October 2018
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    Hit direction was in the beta. Sometimes it was reversed though. I'd get hit from the front but the hit marker would show behind me. Here's a clip for example:

I turned around and shot behind me because I thought I was being shot from that direction. Turns out it was just bugged.

Hit direction is supposed to show in the direction that you're being fired on from.

That's a perfect example of what I have experienced, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, except that maybe it is either right or exactly 180 degrees off.
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    At 0:03 you see the white flashes in the upper left corner, those are what i used to figure out which direction the gunfire was coming from. 👍
  • madman001able
    I think the red marker just let's you know that you have been hit, not which direction you were hit from.
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    I think the red marker just let's you know that you have been hit, not which direction you were hit from.

It's supposed to show which direction you were hit from. It always has in every BF game that it's been in. Of course, sometimes it's bugged like in that clip.

Hence why I instinctively turned around and shot behind me. I'm so used to it working properly in previous BF games that it's become an instant reaction to shoot in the direction of which I'm being shot from. I wouldn't have developed such a reaction if it wasn't intended to portray the direction of incoming damage.
  • madman001able
    The white mark is doing exactly what you think the red marker should be doing lol. Why would they put in 2 gunfire direction indicaters. 😆
  • Sixclicks
    edited October 2018
    The white mark is doing exactly what you think the red marker should be doing lol. Why would they put in 2 gunfire direction indicaters. 😆

Because the red marker has always indicated where you were being shot from. It also always did in BFV except this one instance that I caught where it was bugged. The white indicates the direction of incoming suppressive fire. The red indicates the direction of incoming damage.

This clip is unrelated to the topic, but it shows the damage markers in BF1 coming from the direction I'm being hit from. First hit taken at 0:40. A few more after that.

And here's one from BFV showing the direction I was hit by an enemy sniper from. Which is why I moved in a way to attempt to obscure his view with that treeline.

Here's another one from BFV where I turn on my attacker because I the damage indicator indicates he's direction behind me.

• Sixclicks
    edited October 2018
    If the red marker was solely meant to indicate you were hit, regardless of direction, it wouldn't show in a directional manner around your crosshair. Your screen could simply flash red around the edges instead.
  • madman001able
    All i know is that i always went by the white indicater and it never false flagged me lol.
  • Sixclicks
    All i know is that i always went by the white indicater and it never false flagged me lol.

And how could you always go by the white indicator when it wasn't even in previous BF games? It's only been in BFV as far as I know. The red indicator has always indicated the direction of incoming damage in every other BF game. I didn't see any white flashes from incoming fire in any of the gameplay videos of other BF games that I just watched.

Here's one in BF1. I take a lot of suppressive fire a little after 0:50. No white flashes in the direction of enemy fire. Only red damage markers in their direction.

• Imabaka70
    2432 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

It's supposed to show which direction you were hit from. It always has in every BF game that it's been in. Of course, sometimes it's bugged like in that clip.

Hence why I instinctively turned around and shot behind me. I'm so used to it working properly in previous BF games that it's become an instant reaction to shoot in the direction of which I'm being shot from. I wouldn't have developed such a reaction if it wasn't intended to portray the direction of incoming damage.

Least I wasn’t the only one this happened to. I wonder how many people I’ve upset spinning around and blasting after they hit me once in bf1
  • madman001able

And how could you always go by the white indicator when it wasn't even in previous BF games? It's only been in BFV as far as I know. The red indicator has always indicated the direction of incoming damage in every other BF game. I didn't see any white flashes from incoming fire in any of the gameplay videos of other BF games that I just watched.

Here's one in BF1. I take a lot of suppressive fire a little after 0:50. No white flashes in the direction of enemy fire. Only red damage markers in their direction.

Is this not the BF5 forums? Am i lost? Let me scroll up and check............nope i am in the right forum for BF5.
  • Sixclicks
    edited October 2018

Is this not the BF5 forums? Am i lost? Let me scroll up and check............nope i am in the right forum for BF5.

You asked why there would be two indicators for incoming fire. I explained it's always been that way in every BF game. You then said you always went by the white indicator. If you've played previous BF games, which you have, then you should know that the red indicator is supposed to indicate damage direction and you should be used to it being for that purpose. It wouldn't make sense for you to suddenly not use the red indicator for damage direction when that's always been its purpose. When you say "I always went by the white indicator", it seems to suggest you never used the red indicator even though there wasn't a white indicator in previous BF games.
  • madman001able
    edited October 2018
    Yes, i always went by the white suppression flashes during the BATTLEFIELD 5 BETA. And it never pointed me in the wrong direction. So unless a dev comes in here and says the hit indicator is bugged guess which indicator is the one im gonna continue to keep using? Lol.
  • Sixclicks
    edited October 2018
    It clearly is bugged at times. We don't need a dev to come in and tell us that. There would be no reason for it to even exist if it didn't indicate the correct direction of incoming damage. And there's nothing wrong with using the white suppression indicator instead if that's what you prefer.
  • madman001able
    edited October 2018
    If it is broken maybe it will be fixed by launch, at least there is a second option right? Lol.