Player Movement, What do we know ?

Renamed1810241421
116 postsMember Member
edited October 2018
Someone in another thread said that "Terrain type" would influence movement, and that made me wonder, what do we actually know about movement so far ? I don't mean the types of movement like crawling on your back, etc .. I mean how fast you can move. Here are a few things I wonder about, if they affect movement speed.
  1. Terrain type
  2. Weight of your equipment (a penalty for those heavy LMGs ?)
  3. Agility, I think that's what the trait was called, do we have any information on what that is and if it affects movement ?
  4. Other ?

Comments

• llPhantom_Limbll
    5749 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think anything affects your movement speed at all.
    I just hope it was possible for Dice to eliminate all annoying movement/vaulting bugs for good this time.
  • I don't think anything affects your movement speed at all.
    I just hope it was possible for Dice to eliminate all annoying movement/vaulting bugs for good this time.

Any idea what the Agility trait is for ?
  • You can drag players now ... I wonder if they have been particularly annoying if you can drag them and toss them off a cliff

I want to drag enemy players. Actually I want to be able to drag enemy players, and then revive them
  • H3nry_K1llinger6
    80 postsMember Member
    edited October 2018
    I doubt anything will effect movement speed. Agility, if I had to guess, would be more related to weapon swap or reload speeds, or how penalized someone is for strafing.

As for terrain, DICE said different types of terrain will affect the movement of player models, not thier speed. This is things like the player models of your teammates slipping in ice or tripping in a mud puddle and then hurdling back up to run again. They confirmed it will only be a mechanic that you see happen to teammates, you won't experience it on your screen when it happens to you so it won't affect your aim, and enemy players won't see it happen to other enemies so it doesn't randomly make it harder to shoot a target because they slipped on ice and did an animation. It's merely aesthetic, so that when taking in the atmosphere of the game, soldiers moving around you look less artificial in thier running.

And as far as I'm aware, weapon weight has no affect on anything. MMGs, the heaviest weapons in the game, are penalized by not being able to ads until you use a bipod. Every other weapon type had you running at the same speed iirc.
    Post edited by H3nry_K1llinger6 on
  • Agility could also apply to how quickly one vaults over large obstacles. Iirc in the beta, if you jumped a gap and barely caught the ledge on the other side, there was a super lengthy animation to pull yourself up. Maybe better agility helps with that.
  • Yes it is hard to know what Agility does since we didn't get to see it in the Beta.
    I'd like it if there were different movement rates, and if heavier equipment slowed you down, etc, because it would add another way of penalizing players who get benefits without actually decreasing the strength of the weapon itself. Let's face it ... LMG's SHOULD be dangerous, and I'm glad to see they can now shoot through concealment and even some cover, but they could be even more dangerous if they took more time to set up, were heavier and slowed you down when you were moving, etc.
  • Renamed1810241421
    116 postsMember Member
    edited October 2018
    You can drag players now ... I wonder if they have been particularly annoying if you can drag them and toss them off a cliff

I want to drag enemy players. Actually I want to be able to drag enemy players, and then revive them

And if I can drag players, can I pile them up five feet high and use them like sandbags like Clint Eastwood did in Korea ?
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You can drag players now ... I wonder if they have been particularly annoying if you can drag them and toss them off a cliff

And if I can drag players, can I pile them up five feet high and use them like sandbags like Clint Eastwood did in Korea ?

Just picturing a squad of support players doing this ^^^. 🤣
  • DeadlyDanDaMan
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I don't think anything affects your movement speed at all.

Any idea what the Agility trait is for ?

Stats like Agility, Health Regen, Blast Reduction, and Suppression Sensitivity no longer exist (and if they do, they are now hidden). That was part of the old Archetype system. That has all been scrapped for the Combat Role system instead.
  • VincentNZ
    3499 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah expect pretty much the same movement and maneuverability as in BF1.
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So they changed the movement since the beta test?! Wtf for?
  • MacaqueX
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    So they changed the movement since the beta test?! Wtf for?

beta movement was great imo.
  • madman001able
    edited October 2018
    VincentNZ wrote: »

Are you just trolling?
  • Hawxxeye
    6361 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    We know that it is too fast and lacks innertia.
  • MacaqueX
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »

While you are right that game with inertia will be more realistic, inertia make fps games feel sluggish.
    Add few high pingers on server + lag compensation + slight headbobbing + inertia and game will turn into slug-fest.
    For single player sure but for MP it will suck, not even mil-sims use inertia.
  • VincentNZ
    3499 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ wrote: »

Are you just trolling?

Hmm? The best way to describe something as subjective as movement is to compare it with something we know. I noticed no changes in these things between the different playtests and they are best described as being comparable to BF1. So expect that with all the benefits and flaws, like ADAD spam and only very subtle changes.
  • madman001able
    edited October 2018
    Running in brokenfield 1 was sluggish and slow, and made me wonder if my avatar was a drunk that also smoked 3 packs a day. The movement in BF5 is not broken.
  • Hawxxeye
    6361 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018

While you are right that game with inertia will be more realistic, inertia make fps games feel sluggish.
    Add few high pingers on server + lag compensation + slight headbobbing + inertia and game will turn into slug-fest.

The way the game has some physics (like sliding) but lacks other makes the enemy moment very unintuitive to me.
    The guy in that video should not had instantly gone out of his sprint and ballet danced all the way to my other flank while shooting .
    To the very least soldiers should not jog reverse and strafe as fast as they jog forward.
    Post edited by Hawxxeye on
  • MacaqueX

The way the game has some physics (like sliding) but lacks other makes the enemy moment very unintuitive to me.
    The guy in that video should not had instantly gone out of his sprint and ballet danced all the way to my other flank while shooting .

Yeah i get what you are saying, but if you turn with your mouse and it is not instant turn that follow your mouse and you need to wait for response it will feel sluggish,
    idk how they can make inertia to feel right. I didnt like running inertia from BF4 where you need few steps to get to max running speed.
    I watched SP video from brokenmachine
    and movement looks great and snappy imho, much better than current shooters like bf1,pubg,swbf2,squad,codbo4 or ww3.
    If they fix ragdoll physics bugs that where there in beta and it looks smooth in MP like in this video it will be great.
  • Hawxxeye
    edited October 2018
    As I said in my edit, an easy fix it to make going sideways and reverse slower than forward.