Attrition system

12346»

Comments

• ragnarok013
    2540 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    DingoKillr wrote: »
    MONEYPYR0 wrote: »
    people think skilled players will play worse, but I doubt it. skilled players are also usually the smart players. the bad players will take forever to learn flanking and will just get run over by the ttk.

i gaurantee everyone will perform proportionally to their last BF, relative to where the game is in its lifespan.

As someone who plays exclusively Hardcore in BF4, not having health regeneration (at least, not much in Attrition) is something I'm already used to, so it's not big deal. Less ammo also isnt horrible, since you can build resupply stations, and Support players exist. Even my friend who wasnt very good during the beta liked the new system, and he was able to do decent as a Medic, even if his K/D wasn't great.

And that's my main issue, we already have a mode for this experience called hard core, if someone wants that experience let them go there and grow the hard core community. Now the players who enjoy core are left out in the cold playing older Battlefield titles or we have to play hard core lite in BF5.
    The argument that attrition should be hardcore does not wash when so many argue against Spotting.
    Spotting enemy for a team mate with a tag has been in since BF2142. The argument can also be said that current no spotting system should be hardcore, not core.

BTW Pre-2142 non-regen health and vehicle ammo attrition was core.

I remember but the current systems have been in place for more years than the old system we used from 1942-2142 was in pace and the current system is where the franchise became very popular and broke out of its PC centric niche so there is an argument to keep the current core experience.
  • rainkloud
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    rainkloud wrote: »
    MONEYPYR0 wrote: »
    people think skilled players will play worse, but I doubt it. skilled players are also usually the smart players. the bad players will take forever to learn flanking and will just get run over by the ttk.

i gaurantee everyone will perform proportionally to their last BF, relative to where the game is in its lifespan.

As someone who plays exclusively Hardcore in BF4, not having health regeneration (at least, not much in Attrition) is something I'm already used to, so it's not big deal. Less ammo also isnt horrible, since you can build resupply stations, and Support players exist. Even my friend who wasnt very good during the beta liked the new system, and he was able to do decent as a Medic, even if his K/D wasn't great.

And that's my main issue, we already have a mode for this experience called hard core, if someone wants that experience let them go there and grow the hard core community. Now the players who enjoy core are left out in the cold playing older Battlefield titles or we have to play hard core lite in BF5.

Hardcore has no health regen while BFV has limited health regen plus bandages. There's plenty of daylight between the two so I would not agree that it is accurate that hardcore is getting shoved in people's faces. The devs wisely realized that there is a an already crowded space of competitors that have a damage sponging auto health regen system that emphasizes a more gamey and less realistic atmosphere. On the other end you have the Squads and ARMA's that lean much heavier to the sim side of things. What you don't have a lot of is something that gives some nods to realism but doesn't get mired and bogged down in it and retains a very smooth flow and feel. The old softcore, sponsored by Doritos, was encroaching on territory that was well occupied and frankly done better by competitors. There was really no good reason to have a realistic looking and moving military shooter veer that far into Fortnite, TF2 and Overwatch territory. The attrition system carves out its own space and serves as a refuge for people who don't want either extreme and just want a military shooter that is intuitive and there's very little intuitive about being able to go all the way down to 1HP only to recover back to 100 for no other reason than ~12 seconds passed by.

I called it "hard core lite" which would account for the differences between core and hard core. I'm and old Hard Core player who went to core after the BF4 changes to HC so I'm familiar with both game modes.

Well it accounts for "A" difference but I would not agree with a description of the attrition system as being hardcore lite, although I believe I understand what you are trying to convey. Further, hardcore mode really exists in name only as it was decimated in BF1. The current BFV system brings together the best of both worlds and largely negates the need for a separate HC mode as combined with other changes like reduced spotting and the elimination of revive trains you now have a mode that retains the accessibility of normal mode without the egregious over reaches that unflatteringly put the game squarely in the same category as some of the more fantastically themed competitors. For all but those on the fringes there should be plenty to like about this new mode and for those not satisfied there will hopefully be some custom server options to deliver the desired parameters and failing that there's always other games that deliver an experience likely to appease them.