With BFV being a service, could there be a map editor at some point?

Popa2caps
577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
With Battlefield being a service, would it be possible a map editor could get added? I watched the new map trailer and i'm not a fan of how they look, Too much pre destruction for my taste. I would enjoy a map editor and a community playlist in BFV. I think it would be fun to test out maps from everyone.

Is this just wishful thinking?

Comments

• MONEYPYR0
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would bet wishful thinking bud, as cool as it would be. Maybe in the future they'll have versions of maps pre destruction?
  • Noodlesocks
    2394 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    There could but there won't. EA hates the idea of community content. Pretty much all their games are locked down tight nowadays.
  • CSO7777
    986 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    They have a high quality standard regarding lighting, reflections and other graphical aspects. The things that make BF-games look great, are small details that are very labour-intensive to make.

Maps are not just made in a 'level-editor', there is a lot work put into to these things after the map is designed. The lighting and every reflection (from multiple angles) are designed by hand (more or less) and the look of the user-generated maps would not live up to the standards of Dice's game.

Also rumours are that the frostbite engine is pretty complicated to use (much more than Unreal-engine and others), so making a level-editor is probably not that easy for Dice.

In the future, ray-tracing will make games a lot less labour-intensive (it does lighting and reflections by using calculations, instead of by graphic artists), but it will take some time before this technology is ready for the masses.
  • Popa2caps
    577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    CSO7777 wrote: »
    They have a high quality standard regarding lighting, reflections and other graphical aspects. The things that make BF-games look great, are small details that are very labour-intensive to make.

Maps are not just made in a 'level-editor', there is a lot work put into to these things after the map is designed. The lighting and every reflection (from multiple angles) are designed by hand (more or less) and the look of the user-generated maps would not live up to the standards of Dice's game.

Also rumours are that the frostbite engine is pretty complicated to use (much more than Unreal-engine and others), so making a level-editor is probably not that easy for Dice.

In the future, ray-tracing will make games a lot less labour-intensive (it does lighting and reflections by using calculations, instead of by graphic artists), but it will take some time before this technology is ready for the masses.

I hope i'm wrong and i will like something from BFV PC, but the maps with all pre made destruction, just takes me away from what i loved so much about BF4, blowing stuff up. I think it would be super sick if they had a total destruction map, like something you could just tear apart. I loved Bad company maps because of the nice clean towns and than at the end the map was almost gone.

I might need to research, but it could that i liked maps from people who no longer work at Dice and that is why dislike what i've seen. I still don't like Battlefield 1 Hardline or any of the Star Wars maps, but BF4 had some really nice ones.
  • CrashCA
    931 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    Popa2caps wrote: »
    With Battlefield being a service, would it be possible a map editor could get added? I watched the new map trailer and i'm not a fan of how they look, Too much pre destruction for my taste. I would enjoy a map editor and a community playlist in BFV. I think it would be fun to test out maps from everyone.

This is a joke question, right ?
  • Popa2caps
    edited November 2018
    CrashCA wrote: »
    Popa2caps wrote: »

This is a joke question, right ?

Nope, I don't have the time to joke, i'm asking could a map editor be added at some point, Why do you ask if this is a joke?
    (Edit) if i was joking i would have said something like

Chicken Loses job
    Chicken is Broke
    Chicken Strips $4.19
  • DisguisedMike
    428 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think we'll see a map editor in BFV but it might happen in future titles.

In a few years everything might change with Project Atlas, the next-generation unified platform from EA. They say that they want to be more open in the future, but we'll see if they actually do it.
    Blurring the Line Between Playing and Creating

We’re also seeing that players are craving even more creative control. Modding, streaming, skinning, watching — I can’t think of the gaming platform of the future that isn’t, at its heart, embracing players who tweak, create, and share in very profound ways. But as it stands, modding a game generally requires deep technical experience, sometimes bordering on hacking.

As the development platform of the future hosts the game content workflow and pipeline in the cloud, we can more easily and safely open up powerful avenues for players to create within games and services. You can dream, turn your own vision into reality, and share your creation with your friends or the whole world. You can potentially even market your ideas and visions to the community. To unlock that potential, you need a cloud-enabled engine that seamlessly integrates services. You need an accessible build of the game and a moddable asset database. You need a common marketplace for sharing and rating player creations. All that doesn’t exist yet today, but this is exactly what we are working towards with Project Atlas.

Players and developers want to create. We want to help them. By blurring the line between content producers and players, this will truly democratize the game experience.

• Popa2caps
    I don't think we'll see a map editor in BFV but it might happen in future titles.

In a few years everything might change with Project Atlas, the next-generation unified platform from EA. They say that they want to be more open in the future, but we'll see if they actually do it.
    Blurring the Line Between Playing and Creating

We’re also seeing that players are craving even more creative control. Modding, streaming, skinning, watching — I can’t think of the gaming platform of the future that isn’t, at its heart, embracing players who tweak, create, and share in very profound ways. But as it stands, modding a game generally requires deep technical experience, sometimes bordering on hacking.

As the development platform of the future hosts the game content workflow and pipeline in the cloud, we can more easily and safely open up powerful avenues for players to create within games and services. You can dream, turn your own vision into reality, and share your creation with your friends or the whole world. You can potentially even market your ideas and visions to the community. To unlock that potential, you need a cloud-enabled engine that seamlessly integrates services. You need an accessible build of the game and a moddable asset database. You need a common marketplace for sharing and rating player creations. All that doesn’t exist yet today, but this is exactly what we are working towards with Project Atlas.

Players and developers want to create. We want to help them. By blurring the line between content producers and players, this will truly democratize the game experience.

( Hope it doesn't have loot boxes, I'm sorry i had too say that.) That is cool though, i want to hear more about this.