Will BF1 still be playable, or will everyone jump ship to BFV?

steambc
2 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
I'm brand new to BF1, just d/l'd it a few days ago for $4.99. I'm probably an old-timer to most of you, at 61 years of age. Having a blast with it, although it will take me a bit of time to get up to speed.

I'm wondering what the future holds for it as apparently the release of BFV is days away. Historically, does virtually everybody jump ship to the newest version, leaving the most recent one to languish, or is there a percentage of guys who stick with the previous version (in this case BF1 of course)? BFV doesn't look appealing to me at all, for most of the reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum, so I'd like to stick with BF1 for the next year or so.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Comments

• A_al_K_pacino_A
    463 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think you'll have no trouble getting your moneys worth from the game. The player numbers will go down but there will still be plenty playing.
  • m1k3ol
    811 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Moderator
    Historically, community gets a dip...but since tons and tons of players just recently joined this days, it's less likely it will happen...or at least it will take longer to get noticed at all...

Gun mechanics are totally different between both titles, so there's already a group of players that won't leave this game (besides of it being an amazing game, of course)

Also, some BFV players will still have BF1 installed, so it's likely they return from time to time to play as well (some of us still play BF3, which is 7 years old)

The Battlefield family is long standing...
  • BosundaveE6
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    steambc wrote: »
    I'm brand new to BF1, just d/l'd it a few days ago for $4.99. I'm probably an old-timer to most of you, at 61 years of age. Having a blast with it, although it will take me a bit of time to get up to speed.

I'm wondering what the future holds for it as apparently the release of BFV is days away. Historically, does virtually everybody jump ship to the newest version, leaving the most recent one to languish, or is there a percentage of guys who stick with the previous version (in this case BF1 of course)? BFV doesn't look appealing to me at all, for most of the reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum, so I'd like to stick with BF1 for the next year or so.

hell, I am 76 and having a great time with bf1, I know I will be around for a long time. most of the comments and videos of bfv say it really sucks and the developers treated the players badly.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3213 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm jumping the sinking ship.
  • MurfCr
    1019 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I will still play both. In my opinion BFV will push away those that are looking for a shooter/game that they can jump into and have a good time. I'm referring the average player, that wants to try it out and see what BF is about or what the fuss was about. You will still see people in BF1 having a good time, I will still play it and so will most I squad up with. Simple fact is BF1 is an easier game to jump into run around and have some fun. BFV you rely way to much on other players to survive. But then we will see after the changes they made from the beta.
  • ironfist235
    94 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm staying for awhile at least after the **** talking and a few mechanics I don't like (attrition). Also it's a EA title so it's bound to be buggy af at launch. I'll pick up bf5 when there's a deal or sale maybe
  • claw
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    snipeip wrote: »
    steambc wrote: »

hell, I am 76 and having a great time with bf1, I know I will be around for a long time. most of the comments and videos of bfv say it really sucks and the developers treated the players badly.

well im 83 an unless ea fixes what they commited to do ,provide support for there product ,example fix packet losses in australian servers i wont be purchasing bfv being a member of a large club, expect a drop in sales and poor credability for future game provision
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5307 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think bf1 will die or anything. There are plenty of new players because of many sales and also some people won't immediately purchase the new game until all possible bugs are fixed.
  • Zooboid
    926 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I’ll keep coming back to it I’m sure, it’s really grown on me more than BF4 did. Hopefully it’s still going to keep attracting players on all platforms.
  • MogwaiWarrior
    677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm staying for awhile at least after the **** talking and a few mechanics I don't like (attrition). Also it's a EA title so it's bound to be buggy af at launch. I'll pick up bf5 when there's a deal or sale maybe

This. Not liking some of the core changes DICE have made. I'll probably try to find it on sale also.
  • bapman63
    935 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Since most of the people playing now bought the game at a reduced price, I don't think you will have to worry about people jumping ship for bf5. Give it a year or so when the price drops and dice starts giving thing away for free, then the current bf1 player base will start jumping ship.
  • CrashCA
    973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Or when EA shuts down "Official" servers.
  • JRMBelgiumTwitch
    735 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'll keep playing it and wont buy BF V. Our clan is planning on keeping at least one server for some time to come.
  • Faylum
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'll still be playing it from time to time because it feels amazing to dominate newbies in the traditional battlefield style of 'i have everything unlocked' and you don't. Now learn fast, like we did!
  • MarxistDictator
    4843 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If Hardline survived when it was 'dead on arrival' BF1 will be fine. People sweat about less than 10k players but you only need 64-32 for a game.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3213 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I can't post on lots of Threads. Anybody else having this problem. I've been behaving lately. Lol. Hope I'm not banned again.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    There will certainly be less populated servers, but I'm sure you'll still be able to find games. At least in the more popular game modes like Conquest or Operations.
  • NLBartmaN
    3039 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    There will be enough players, don't worry.
  • CaptHotah
    1061 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Bf3, 4 and Hardline all has populated servers. Bf1 will have aswel.
  • ackers75
    2274 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    Am sure bf1 will take a smalll hit but you will find servers easily enough.
    I still play bf4 and find games easily